London To Cornwall Cycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The K&A's fine - very pleasant, in fact. The middle section isn't ideal for cycling (NCN 4 heads off on lanes for that bit) and there are a few annoying gates at the eastern end, but it's picturesque, the towpath has generally been improved for cycling use, and there are enough cyclists about that you're unlikely to surprise the walkers. Some bits are ridiculously pretty - Caen Hill (Devizes) and the Bradford-Bath section in particular.

Richard, Many thanks for this.

that makes me even more determined to find the time

Mile195

Veteran
Just caught up with this... not been on for a while! Thanks for the comments on the vid.
Yes - the towpaths you have to slow down for. Although, the section I rode around Woking didn't seem to be especially busy, and in good enough order for my road bike. Although, I was riding on weekdays which I guess made a difference in terms of how many people were using them.

As for the A30, I didn't ride it. I've been down it on the motorbike though, and I'd agree it's probably a route I'd stay away from unless absolutely necessary. However, riding across Dartmoor was quite a nice alternative. Yes, it's got a lot more climbing. But the roads themselves generally seemed to be in a good state of repair and fine for road cycling. The sharpest climbs didn't seem to go on for too long either. The worst bit is actually coming out of Bovey Tracey up onto Dartmoor. It's about 4 miles I think, and seemed for the most part to be a consistent 7-10% gradient. Once you're up there though, it's not so bad. And the drop back down to Tavistock seemed to go on for miles, on relatively good tarmac.

There were only one or two very short sections of my overall route that I wouldn't generally consider any good for a road bike, where I had to drop down to maybe 10mph or less. The sections weren't long enough to make it worth redoing those parts of the route for though. The rest was fine, and while I used some A roads they were not horribly busy or fast. In fact I was pleasantly surprised by just how much room I was given by vehicles as I came out of Tavistock along the A390, despite grinding out of the Tamar valley at about 8mph.

In any case, if the OP does do the ride, I hope it goes well - there's plenty to see on the way down, and if it's anything like my ride was it'll make for some nice stories in cycling related discussions for years afterwards!

Mile195

Veteran
Just amended the start and end points to protect the privacy of the people I stayed with, so that I can upload these if they're any use...

Attachments

• D1-London to Liskeard(1).tcx
    1.1 MB · Views: 77
  • D2-Verwood - Newton Poppelford w_o corfe castle.tcx
    883.7 KB · Views: 34
  • D3- Exmouth to Pensilva(1).tcx
    608.1 KB · Views: 35

Ajax Bay

Guru
I've given you a like @ozboz
Thing is,
a cycle from Windsor(near London) to Cornwall and were wondering if anyone had any routes to suggest as we have limited knowledge on it... We both have racing bikes so it would have to be road cycling...
this sort of question has such wide parameters (within the defined start and finish and 'on road') and even 'Cornwall' crossing the Tamar could vary between Bude, Launceston, Horsebridge, Gunnislake or through Plymouth and the bridge to Saltash, the ferry to Torpoint or the Cremyll ferry. These choices will be affected by Dartmoor (or not), and N or S of Bodmin Moor.
How fast/many days? Looking for or to avoid hills (Mendips, Blackdown Hills, Dartmoor)? Threshold of tolerance for A roads? Threshold of tolerance for very minor roads (narrow yellow on 1:50,000)? Keep fairly straight or divert for attractions (hills above plus Jurassic Coast or even Studland ferry (via New Forest) and Isle of Purbeck).
I am contemplating an Ascot (near Windsor) to Exeter ride and this is my draft, obviously based on other rides.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28710971?beta=false

Last edited:

Elysian_Roads

Thanks to all that have posted useful advice. This thread has been on my watch list, but haven't had a chance yet to sit down and go through it in detail.

I am near the start point so am looking to make use of the guidance given for rides west, although Cornwall may be a little too far at the moment....

The great thing about this community and the postings are that others benefit as well not just the original poster, and seeing some of the thread resurrections here, for a number of years to come.

Cheers all.

MikeG

Guru
You want the old A30, not the current A30 when you're in the west country. The old route is still findable, and isn't busy like the new one which is a nightmare for cycling on.

Ajax Bay

Guru
However, riding across Dartmoor was quite a nice alternative. Yes, it's got a lot more climbing. But the roads themselves generally seemed to be in a good state of repair and fine for road cycling. The sharpest climbs didn't seem to go on for too long either. The worst bit is actually coming out of Bovey Tracey up onto Dartmoor. It's about 4 miles I think, and seemed for the most part to be a consistent 7-10% gradient.
Riding east to west the hack down to Bovey Tracey seems 'off track' to me, unless one wishes particularly to climb past Haytor (ToB queen stage) and/or visit Widecombe. Take the B3212 out of Exeter up Longdown, past Dunsford to Moretonhampstead and head up onto the moor from there to Princetown. Cafes, pubs and shops there; then down to Tavistock and pleasures west into Cornwall.
Here's one of my across Dartmoor rides (note not directly to Moretonhampstead). https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27921589
You want the old A30, not the current A30 when you're in the west country
Don't think anyone posting has said any different (and I think you mean west of Exeter: 60+ miles of the A30 from Salisbury to Yarcombe and where the A303 feeds into it is fine). The 'old A30' (from Exeter goes all the way through Okehampton to Launceston and 4 miles beyond btw) is an excellent road to ride on but, on the sound basis that the dualled A30 is not for crossing Bodmin Moor, a rider is best advised to head WNW from Launceston through Egloskerry to Davidstow and Camelford.
South of Camelford a rider can drop onto the Camel Trail which runs off-road down to edge of Bodmin (and links to the main line station btw) and then NW through Wadebridge to Padstow (again nearly all off-road but very good surface). Alternatively just bang down the A39 'Atlantic Highway' - rider preferences/tolerances/urgency will guide.
If a rider takes the old A30 (ie not over Dartmoor) but wishes to go south of Bodmin Moor, then a neat option is to pick up the Granite Way (tarmaced ex-railway track) at Okehampton and follow it to Lydford (see RwGPS route above) and North Brentor before heading SW to Liskeard or (hillier) Minions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom