London To Cornwall Cycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CSampson

Hey Guys
Me and a mate were planning to do a cycle from Windsor(near London) to Cornwall and were wondering if anyone had any routes to suggest as we have limited knowledge on it... We both have racing bikes so it would have to be road cycling...
Thanks
Caleb Sampson

ozboz

Guru
2C879A70-DA05-4826-B09B-680F1D472142.png

482D7E92-E426-4A1A-8A31-F74ACCC10785.png
Go south west to Exeter then turn right ! Make sure you call in to Launceston for a pint !!
I’m driving that way the beginning of October to Truro, took me 6 hours last time , I live in Richmond , be a fair old peddle !
These are cycle route maps, hopefully give you an idea Mate

Mile195

Veteran
I rode to Liskeard last year over three days on my road bike. I can send you the TCX files if you want (I won't post them publicly as they give hints to the addresses of the people I stayed with), but just PM me if they're of interest.
I made a little video diary if you're interested - if you shuttle through, it might give you a flavour of the route so you can see if it's what you're looking for

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d8If3-e56A

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
I flicked through the video but pretty cool to watch ..
Some ride to Cornwall so best of luck with it should be fun ..
:bicycle:

Brains

Legendary Member
Can I add in big letters, AVOID THE A30!
Unless you wish to name me as you main benificery in your last Will & Testament

I have cycled the route, using a flat barred heavy touring bike, which means quality of ride over miles of ride.
It also means I was cycling on surfaces that you would not like on skinny treadless tyres

However my route basically followed the Sustrans Route

I started in Greenwich.
Along the south bank of the Thames to Reading
Along the K&A canal to Bath
Across to Wells
Down to Barnstable
Along the Tarka Trail
Turning west to Holsworthy
Bude
Camelford
Camel Trail to Padstow

I forget the milage, something like 250 and it took 7 days, having said which we could have gone faster, but there is a lot to see.
After turning off the Tarka trail it gets progessivly more hilly until after Camelford

Brains

Legendary Member

Can I add in big letters, AVOID THE A30!
Unless you wish to name me as you main benificery in your last Will & Testament

I have cycled the route, using a flat barred heavy touring bike, which means quality of ride over miles of ride.
It also means I was cycling on surfaces that you would not like on skinny treadless tyres

However my route basically followed the Sustrans Route

I started in Greenwich.
Along the south bank of the Thames to Reading
Along the K&A canal to Bath
Across to Wells
Down to Barnstable
Along the Tarka Trail
Turning west to Holsworthy
Bude
Camelford
Camel Trail to Padstow

I forget the milage, something like 250 and it took 7 days, having said which we could have gone faster, but there is a lot to see.
After turning off the Tarka trail it gets progessivly more hilly until after Camelford

Morning @Brains

a question if I may? what was the K & A like to ride? im a sucker for canals and this is on my list but if its 80 miles of boredom, I may give it a miss.

cheers in advance

jay clock

Massive member
Morning @Brains

a question if I may? what was the K & A like to ride? im a sucker for canals and this is on my list but if its 80 miles of boredom, I may give it a miss.

cheers in advance
My experience of canals is that however pretty it all looks the same after a while. The other issue is that as you are on a narrow towpath, it require you permanently to look down at the ground a couple of metres in front, thus avoiding the view

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Canal tow-paths are excellent for walking on. Cyclists using them can be an irritation, especially when they think they have right of way.

My experience of canals is that however pretty it all looks the same after a while. The other issue is that as you are on a narrow towpath, it require you permanently to look down at the ground a couple of metres in front, thus avoiding the view

Canal tow-paths are excellent for walking on. Cyclists using them can be an irritation, especially when they think they have right of way.

I agree with the narrow path issue and cyclists being an irritation but I take things slow and give a cheery good morning/isn't your dog cute etc and find rather than annoying people, they actually open up and chat. ive yet to get a cuppa from someone though :angel:

I will be in no rush and will be wild camping/camping in a pub garden if possible so plan to enjoy it when I do get the chance to ride the K & A. its part of a bigger trip but it is the only non changeable part of it

The K&A's fine - very pleasant, in fact. The middle section isn't ideal for cycling (NCN 4 heads off on lanes for that bit) and there are a few annoying gates at the eastern end, but it's picturesque, the towpath has generally been improved for cycling use, and there are enough cyclists about that you're unlikely to surprise the walkers. Some bits are ridiculously pretty - Caen Hill (Devizes) and the Bradford-Bath section in particular.

Top Bottom