A30 - Do NOT use it!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brains

Legendary Member
I've said it before, but I'll say it again, the A30 is not suitable for cycling.
It may be perfectly legal, but in most other northern European countries it would be called a motorway, Autobahn or Autostrada and cycling would never even be contenplated on such a route.

The story below is tragic, but unless you are some sort of supervised mass race style event, they were in the wrong place.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-23157100

Its tragic stuff getting discussed in detail over here :sad:

Canrider

Guru
I'd suggest keeping this thread open however, as the advice pertains specifically to planning a LEJoG route.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
[QUOTE 2531460, member: 30090"] Needless to say that country lanes with short/closed lines of sights can be just as dangerous imo as dual carriageways.[/quote]
I don't drive but recent trips on Megabus up and down the M6 have suggested to me that the average line of sight on busy UK motorways (no doubt it is equally true for fast dual carriageways) is around 15 ft to the back of the vehicle in front, doing 70+ mph.

I took this photo from a bridge over the M6 at Corley. You tell me how much time the drivers behind would have to react if the vehicle in front suddenly swerved to avoid something ...

two_second_rule_m6_corley.jpg

StuartG

slower but further
[QUOTE 2531460, member: 30090"]Needless to say that country lanes with short/closed lines of sights can be just as dangerous imo as dual carriageways.[/quote]
Well I do think you do NEED to justify that remark if you wish to apply it generally. You may wish to factor into your answer;

* The volume of traffic passing within a few feet of you
* The destabilising effect of large vehicles passing close
* The difference in speed at which a collision is likely to occur
* The difference in injury that this is likely to cause

Convince me that all the mapwork I do seeking to avoid busy fast duals is counterproductive ...

StuartG

slower but further
[QUOTE 2531536, member: 30090"]You have your own opinions based on experience.[/quote]
This is the problem since I feel safer on a back road than a dual. Whilst feelings and experience is generally useful they can be wrong. If someone can show that statistically then I will change. Context is also important.

I use the A29 Leatherhead - Dorking dual quite often. This has optional decent cycleways on both sides. I would always use those if alone or in a small group but I have felt quite comfortable doing the main road as part of a large group.

lejogger

Guru
OMG. The most stupid post today?
Or are you unaware of how the human eye can be so easily deceived?
A little harsh.

I think @User just means that if everyone drove exactly how they should taking into account all considerations and variables and allowing for all possibilities then there wouldn't ever be any accidents.

But obviously it's a moot point as that isn't and won't ever be the case.

There are a few minor roads around my locale I don't use because they are twisty, high hedged and contain traffic moving faster than it should. Roads are pretty subjective and not just subjective from person to person but from purpose to purpose. It's a pretty hard subject to discuss objectively. Basically, if you have a right to cycle there you should reasonably expect to be safe. Whether you'd want to cycle on them is a different kind of discussion.

StuartG

slower but further
When did a road ever killed anyone?
The answer is never! Road users kill themselves and other people - not the roads.
Well to be more accurate it is the vehicle that kills which may or may not be under the control of the driver who may or may not driving safely within the visible conditions which may or may not be real.

I am not being pedantic. You are obviously unaware of the great deal of work done to try and eliminate deception. People thinking they are going uphill when they are going downhill when they think their speed is decreasing when its not and so on. A lot of danger can be designed out of roads and is. But a lot is still there. Not to mention road surfaces ... the bottom line is not all KSIs are down to bad drivers behaving badly.

I intensely dislike the bulls*** that is peddled about roads being dangerous and that cyclists shouldn't use certain roads. Let's be honest - these deaths, as with many others, are to do with the inconsiderate behaviour of one road user towards another. This is about motorists behaving irresponsibly around more vulnerable road users.
And if people like StuartG don't like it - tough!
OMG, the second most stupid post of the day?
You already know the precise cause?
And you didn't read my posts did you?

OP
OP
Brains

Brains

Legendary Member
I think people are missing my original point.
the A30 is not just another dual carriage way, it is a motorway in all but name.
In my opinion it is not suitable for cycling for most of its length

If you are planning a LeJog, please do not include the A30 in your route

StuartG

slower but further
We know that the lorry hit the cyclists. The road didn't cause the driver to hit cyclists. The road wasn't behind the wheel of the lorry - the driver was.
Which says nothing about what caused it. And, as in many tragedies the causes may be multiple. We just don't know here - except you?

I've read your posts. I can't see anything in them that would lead me to change my view. I just haven't been as childish in calling your posts 'stupid'...
You are right I shouldn't be calling your stuff stupid. You have a considerable intellect. But you do occasionally get things spectacularly wrong. And when you do instead of gracefully backing out you keep on digging and making silly (oops there I go again) aspersions.

Re "I intensely dislike the bulls*** that is peddled about roads being dangerous and that cyclists shouldn't use certain roads ... And if people like StuartG don't like it - tough!" Read my posts again I was arguing how we should counter such arguements NOT SUPPORTING THEM!

So calm down and feel the facts :sad:

StuartG

slower but further
Really? I suggest you read your posts again... :wacko:

And presuming somebody out there is going to suggest banning bicycles on the A30 - how we deal with that?

For what its worth I would love to see the national speed limit reduced to 40 mph EXCEPT where a carriageway is provided for cyclists and maintained to the same standard allowing two cyclists side by side in each direction to cover the same distance in the same time. Yep, I know I'm dreaming too - except isn't this much the norm in the Netherlands?

There's more if you want it ...

StuartG

slower but further
You're quoting posts from another thread...
A thread directly linked with this thread with reason. And where in this thread have I suggested otherwise as the basis to your aspersion?
You are grasping at straws but still drowning ...

StuartG

slower but further
[QUOTE 2531768, member: 30090"]I think it might help Stuart if you quote posts from this thread rather than others...[/quote]
I use the A29 Leatherhead - Dorking dual quite often. This has optional decent cycleways on both sides. I would always use those if alone or in a small group but I have felt quite comfortable doing the main road as part of a large group.
In other words I'm against banning. But the Reg at least admits to being confused. I'll take that in lieu of an apology ^_^

Top Bottom