A30 - Do NOT use it!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

amaferanga

Veteran
I and nine others did the A30 from Lands End to just outside Exeter on a LEJoG and it was brilliant. We had fog for the first thirty miles, which was doubly brilliant, because Cornwall isn't much to look at. We were off it by 2pm (and in Bristol that night). I'd never, ever consider any alternative.

Good for you. Most people don't enjoy fast, busy dual carriageways though and whatever you say, that's exactly what it is. Why exactly would you not consider any alternative - can't you do hills?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Good for you. Most people don't enjoy fast, busy dual carriageways though and whatever you say, that's exactly what it is. Why exactly would you not consider any alternative - can't you do hills?

because it takes too long. There are plenty of lovely roads on the way to John O'Groats that afford the LEJoGer unbounded pleasure - I'd always take the 'old A9' in preference to the 'new A9', and if I did another LEJoG I'd go east of the Pennines and up the A68, but the A30 gives you an easy fast start and the feeling that you're getting somewhere.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
It sounds as if the OP is suffering from lack of experience, confidence or competence so maybe he should consider getting some pink tassels for his handlebars and only riding around his local duck pond!
There are many things to consider on a ride - including time of day, even the day itself relative speed of traffic, road surface, etc. and you should make changes and adapt your technique
We have no motorways here but a network of National Highways, the 'hard shoulder' is for bicycles and motorbikes. In urban areas, the hard shoulder is replaced by a frontage road for local traffic. and there is a physical barrier between the two. Vehicles are allowed to contraflow in the cycle/motorcycle lane!
A typical scene on the bypass is:- being passed by a convoy of about 6 drawbar trailers, feet away and exceeding the speed limit; bearing down on me are a few motorbikes and a pickup truck, behind me are more motorbikes! Tradition dictates that contraflow traffic should pass me on my left but that forces me towards the carriage so what should I do?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
What an incredibly tedious thread to wade through.

I was interested to hear the views of those who, like DZ, myself and numerous others, have actually ridden the A30 in varying conditions...but instead its turned into a dull dialogue between two members with equally valid and yet equally dogged viewpoints.

Mods, I think we have reached a point on this page where neither stuart nor reg will ever see eye to eye, can we perhaps lock this off now, to save future boredom.

lejogger

Guru
What an incredibly tedious thread to wade through.

I was interested to hear the views of those who, like DZ, myself and numerous others, have actually ridden the A30 in varying conditions...but instead its turned into a dull dialogue between two members with equally valid and yet equally dogged viewpoints.

Mods, I think we have reached a point on this page where neither stuart nor reg will ever see eye to eye, can we perhaps lock this off now, to save future boredom.

+1
There was a simultaneous thread at the time that many contributed to, so this pretty much only served the purpose of allowing them to squabble away.

My own interests in this have been reawoken however as I have ridden the A30 for day 1 and part of day 2 on my unsupported End to End in 2009 with one other companion, and while it was most definitely not pleasant, it did serve the A-B purpose.

This year my club are attempting a supported ride and there will be in the region of 30 riders (probably in 3 groups) taking this route. Does anyone have experience of riding this road with significant numbers of other riders? Is there safety in numbers?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
This year my club are attempting a supported ride and there will be in the region of 30 riders (probably in 3 groups) taking this route. Does anyone have experience of riding this road with significant numbers of other riders? Is there safety in numbers?

My group rode as 21, albeit not in a large peleton all the time. We had no issues at all. To be honest we found that the industrial approach to the severn bridge required more attention, common sense and grouping.
WP_20130926_02620130927235805_zpsf7333d61.jpg

Linford

That's because humans tend to be somewhat predictable and repetitive idiots.

The Cat and Fiddle (the A537 between Buxton and Macclesfield) is a prime example. One of my colleagues and her husband are bikers (her husband is an instructor). Her husband also works for the ambulance service covering that road.

Over the years the authorities have tried to reduce the number of bikers killing themselves on that road. The steps taken include:
  • introduction of a 50mph speed limit;
  • a mobile road safety campaign;
  • re-laying the road surface;
  • putting anti-skid surface on bends;
  • building motorcycle-friendly crash barriers; and
  • installing average speed cameras.
Yet you still get bikers racing over that road at well over the speed limit and in a totally stupid manner - often filming themselves as they go and posting the results on YouTube (try searching for 'Cat and Fiddle' on YouTube) - and bikers keep dying, despite all the changes.

Is that the fault of the road? No. As he'll tell you, it's the way that the road is ridden that is dangerous. Each time they get a shout and it's a biker, you can guarantee the accident investigation will find the rider at fault.

I've ridden the Cat and Fiddle on a motorbike, am still here to tell the tale..have you ?

Linford

because it takes too long. There are plenty of lovely roads on the way to John O'Groats that afford the LEJoGer unbounded pleasure - I'd always take the 'old A9' in preference to the 'new A9', and if I did another LEJoG I'd go east of the Pennines and up the A68, but the A30 gives you an easy fast start and the feeling that you're getting somewhere.

Hey, if you want to get across country faster, get a car or motorbike...cycling is all about enjoying your surroundings. There is nothing to enjoy about riding up a dual carriageway with cars and lorries blasting past at high speed.

Linford

Did it Saturday on my roadie as it happens.... didn't see one motorcyclist..... which was nice.

Who wants to ride a motorbike on slippery gritted roads with deceptively tight hairpins and no run off if you get it wrong...I certainly don't. I can't imagine many locals to the C&F would either. I think it is very over rated as a bikers road, and is only popular because of its proximity to the vast population of Manchester.

Linford

Thats cos your crap.

If I were inexperienced and had a bit too much front, I might make stupid boasts about what I feel is or isn't safe. I've done many thousands of miles on motorbikes on ice, in snow, on gritted roads. I'm happy to pass...as are many other experienced bikers.

lejogger

Guru
Hey, if you want to get across country faster, get a car or motorbike...cycling is all about enjoying your surroundings. There is nothing to enjoy about riding up a dual carriageway with cars and lorries blasting past at high speed.

Cycling's not ALL about anything.
When I attempt this second end to end, I'll be cycling for the achievment, to enjoy time and banter with my clubmates, to enjoy the challenge of completing the distance, to realise the goal that my training will have been for among many other things.
Enjoying my surroundings is way way waaaay down the list.

I've been away from the forum for a few months... good to see from some of the responses that not much has changed :smile:

lejogger

Guru
My group rode as 21, albeit not in a large peleton all the time. We had no issues at all. To be honest we found that the industrial approach to the severn bridge required more attention, common sense and grouping.
WP_20130926_02620130927235805_zpsf7333d61.jpg

Thanks Jonny j. I'll check out your vlog when i'm not in work.

jay clock

Massive member
When did a road ever killed anyone?

I want to be able to use any road I need or want to use. I don't want to be restricted to minor roads (which in themselves have issues with motorists driving like twunts). I want motorists to respect my right to use the road and, yes, I am going to demand that they drive safely around me and other more vulnerable road users. I don't want cycling apartheid and I reserve the right to challenge anyone, cyclist or otherwise, whose actions or words are leading down that road.

And if people like StuartG don't like it - tough!
So be able to use any road you want to or need to, does that include Motorways. I have yet to see any serious argument that cyclists should be allowed to. The main point of the OP was that effectively roads like the A30 [and A34/A303 and others] are de-facto motorways. And at least on a real motorway you would have a real hard shoulder to swerve on to.

I use my common sense and avoid places I think are dangerous. And that includes the A30 in many places

Top Bottom