A30 - Do NOT use it!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

Cycling's not ALL about anything.
When I attempt this second end to end, I'll be cycling for the achievment, to enjoy time and banter with my clubmates, to enjoy the challenge of completing the distance, to realise the goal that my training will have been for among many other things.
Enjoying my surroundings is way way waaaay down the list.

I've been away from the forum for a few months... good to see from some of the responses that not much has changed :smile:

In my experience, people chasing trophies often cast caution to the wind. Ego has no place on the roads as it clouds the judgment.....

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
In my experience, people chasing trophies often cast caution to the wind. Ego has no place on the roads as it clouds the judgment.....

Do you just say stuff?

Linford

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0STTeLaveDLx_B920PqHVmzxhh2gDei66DO0DQjXNyMhO1kTQYg.jpg

Sometimes you have to go there to appreciate the value of it ;)

lejogger

Guru

I will actually have the privilege of cycling this attempt with chap who is the current record holder on a recumbant bicycle (41 hours 4 minutes 22 seconds), on a mixed tandem, and former men's single record holder (45 hours). A fact that will ensure my ego is kept well in check.

I'll make sure I chat to him all about how he achieved enjoying his surroundings at such a fast pace.

byegad

Legendary Member
I remember driving down it for the first time. The weather was poor and visibility not good. My first thought was, I'd not like to cycle along this! I understand why people do it, it's direct (For the SW of the UK.) and on a good day I guess it would be OK but the far SW does tend to get its fair share of 'weather' as the poor souls down there know to their cost at the moment.

Linford

I will actually have the privilege of cycling this attempt with chap who is the current record holder on a recumbant bicycle (41 hours 4 minutes 22 seconds), on a mixed tandem, and former men's single record holder (45 hours). A fact that will ensure my ego is kept well in check.

I'll make sure I chat to him all about how he achieved enjoying his surroundings at such a fast pace.

Good luck ;)

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
2907046 said:
Why on earth did you resurrect a five month old row just to say it should be locked?
Very good point, how odd.

It was sat at the top of the section when I saw it, so I assume a comment has been removed that bumped it.

otherwise, no idea why it was up there

CafGriff

In fact, if people really want to see a little of the road conditions, my vlog may help.

Ha!! How cool was that vid !! Well done guys! this only fed my need and desire to complete my solo LEJoG starting March 8th..... Ha!:cheers:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Ha!! How cool was that vid !! Well done guys! this only fed my need and desire to complete my solo LEJoG starting March 8th..... Ha!:cheers:
Thanks, I loved the ride, and hope you enjoy yours just as much. I have to admit that I'm struggling to find a replacement for it this year. I ride London to Brussels next month and London to Paris later in the year (with the lejog friends) but I suspect it wont come close to Lejog.

CafGriff

Thanks, I loved the ride, and hope you enjoy yours just as much. I have to admit that I'm struggling to find a replacement for it this year. I ride London to Brussels next month and London to Paris later in the year (with the lejog friends) but I suspect it wont come close to Lejog.
There room for a little one, if you want to keep me company for a few - hunfred - miles ?? :hello: :bicycle:

buggi

Bird Saviour
personally i don't see why cyclists can't use the hard shoulder of a motorway :boxing:

no seriously most of us would agree that a motorway is not the place for a bike, even the two lane ones. The speed and volume of traffic does shorten the line of sight and gives you less time to react. As drivers, certainly wouldn't expect a vehicle to be on it moving at circa 20 mph. Likewise, where an A road is built to act like a motorway we should apply that thing.... what's it called.... erm... O yea... common sense. We have a few A roads round Warwick. All of which i would cycle on except the A46, part dual, part triple carriage way. All of it like a motorway. I'm allowed to if i want to and yes drivers should take care, but common sense tells me its the last place they'd expect a bike and the speed of the traffic (70mph at least) and their line of sight would give them a very narrow window to react to me, so i'd be a feckin idiot to do it. In fact, i would say some A roads are worse than motorways coz they have no real hard shoulder

Last edited:

buggi

Bird Saviour
[QUOTE 2945410, member: 9609"]This is what frightens me with HGVs, for reason that I have no comprehension of at all, a great many of them like tailgating each other, and on a busy road, the first in line will give plenty of room , the next is a little closer the next closer still, and if there is a fourth he will probably kill you.

I don't think any road where there is more than one car per mile passing is worth cycling on.[/quote]
one car per mile? Do those roads exist? LOL I'd never get to work.

i think busy can be good bcoz drivers are more on the ball, not presuming its clear and also if some twat does hit you and leave, the person behind will see it and stop... Hopefully! When i used to ride between Solihull and Warwick I chose a more busy route for this very reason. Traffic on the windy country lanes was fewer and far between but no less speedy and i was always worried I'd end up in an ditch and no one would see me. At least on the A4177 i figured someone would help, its a 50mph road, straighter, average traffic, line of sight is good. But I'd never turn off on to the A46 bcoz it would be suicide. I've never seen a cyclist on it and i don't know anyone that would, despite knowing some hardcore cyclists.

L14M

Über Member
[QUOTE 2945410, member: 9609"]
I don't think any road where there is more than one car per mile passing is worth cycling on.[/quote]
Ah crap.. sorry guys I can't cycle anymore :'(

Top Bottom