A30 - Do NOT use it!

Discussion in 'Lands End to John O'Groats (LEJOG)' started by Brains, 3 Jul 2013.

1. Linford

Linford Guest

Who wants to ride a motorbike on slippery gritted roads with deceptively tight hairpins and no run off if you get it wrong...I certainly don't. I can't imagine many locals to the C&F would either. I think it is very over rated as a bikers road, and is only popular because of its proximity to the vast population of Manchester.

2. Smeggers II

Smeggers II Legendary Member

Thats cos your crap.

theclaud, User45 and lejogger like this.
  3. Linford

Linford Guest

If I were inexperienced and had a bit too much front, I might make stupid boasts about what I feel is or isn't safe. I've done many thousands of miles on motorbikes on ice, in snow, on gritted roads. I'm happy to pass...as are many other experienced bikers.

4. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Man or Moose!

Yes there is...

theclaud, Mr Bunbury and lejogger like this.
  5. lejogger

lejogger Über Member

Cycling's not ALL about anything.
    When I attempt this second end to end, I'll be cycling for the achievment, to enjoy time and banter with my clubmates, to enjoy the challenge of completing the distance, to realise the goal that my training will have been for among many other things.
    Enjoying my surroundings is way way waaaay down the list.

I've been away from the forum for a few months... good to see from some of the responses that not much has changed :smile:

theclaud likes this.
  6. lejogger

lejogger Über Member

Thanks Jonny j. I'll check out your vlog when i'm not in work.

7. jay clock

jay clock Massive member

So be able to use any road you want to or need to, does that include Motorways. I have yet to see any serious argument that cyclists should be allowed to. The main point of the OP was that effectively roads like the A30 [and A34/A303 and others] are de-facto motorways. And at least on a real motorway you would have a real hard shoulder to swerve on to.

I use my common sense and avoid places I think are dangerous. And that includes the A30 in many places

4F and Brains like this.
  8. Linford

Linford Guest

In my experience, people chasing trophies often cast caution to the wind. Ego has no place on the roads as it clouds the judgment.....

9. Smeggers II

Smeggers II Legendary Member

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0STTeLaveDLx_B920PqHVmzxhh2gDei66DO0DQjXNyMhO1kTQYg.jpg

10. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Man or Moose!

Do you just say stuff?

User1252, theclaud, User45 and 2 others like this.
  11. Linford

Linford Guest

Sometimes you have to go there to appreciate the value of it ;)

12. lejogger

lejogger Über Member

I will actually have the privilege of cycling this attempt with chap who is the current record holder on a recumbant bicycle (41 hours 4 minutes 22 seconds), on a mixed tandem, and former men's single record holder (45 hours). A fact that will ensure my ego is kept well in check.

I'll make sure I chat to him all about how he achieved enjoying his surroundings at such a fast pace.

13. byegad

byegad Guru

I remember driving down it for the first time. The weather was poor and visibility not good. My first thought was, I'd not like to cycle along this! I understand why people do it, it's direct (For the SW of the UK.) and on a good day I guess it would be OK but the far SW does tend to get its fair share of 'weather' as the poor souls down there know to their cost at the moment.

14. Linford

Linford Guest

Good luck ;)

lejogger likes this.
  15. Mr Bunbury

Mr Bunbury Senior Member

It was actually a recumbent tricycle :tongue:

lejogger likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice