A30 - Do NOT use it!

Discussion in 'Lands End to John O'Groats (LEJOG)' started by Brains, 3 Jul 2013.

1. Thanks, I loved the ride, and hope you enjoy yours just as much. I have to admit that I'm struggling to find a replacement for it this year. I ride London to Brussels next month and London to Paris later in the year (with the lejog friends) but I suspect it wont come close to Lejog.

2. CafGriff

CafGriff Active Member

There room for a little one, if you want to keep me company for a few - hunfred - miles ?? :hello: :bicycle:

jonny jeez likes this.
  3. buggi

buggi Bird Saviour

personally i don't see why cyclists can't use the hard shoulder of a motorway :boxing:

no seriously most of us would agree that a motorway is not the place for a bike, even the two lane ones. The speed and volume of traffic does shorten the line of sight and gives you less time to react. As drivers, certainly wouldn't expect a vehicle to be on it moving at circa 20 mph. Likewise, where an A road is built to act like a motorway we should apply that thing.... what's it called.... erm... O yea... common sense. We have a few A roads round Warwick. All of which i would cycle on except the A46, part dual, part triple carriage way. All of it like a motorway. I'm allowed to if i want to and yes drivers should take care, but common sense tells me its the last place they'd expect a bike and the speed of the traffic (70mph at least) and their line of sight would give them a very narrow window to react to me, so i'd be a feckin idiot to do it. In fact, i would say some A roads are worse than motorways coz they have no real hard shoulder

Last edited: 23 Feb 2014
  4. Reiver

Reiver Legendary Member

what ?

5. Reiver

Reiver Legendary Member

This is what frightens me with HGVs, for reason that I have no comprehension of at all, a great many of them like tailgating each other, and on a busy road, the first in line will give plenty of room , the next is a little closer the next closer still, and if there is a fourth he will probably kill you.

I don't think any road where there is more than one car per mile passing is worth cycling on.

6. buggi

buggi Bird Saviour

one car per mile? Do those roads exist? LOL I'd never get to work.

i think busy can be good bcoz drivers are more on the ball, not presuming its clear and also if some twat does hit you and leave, the person behind will see it and stop... Hopefully! When i used to ride between Solihull and Warwick I chose a more busy route for this very reason. Traffic on the windy country lanes was fewer and far between but no less speedy and i was always worried I'd end up in an ditch and no one would see me. At least on the A4177 i figured someone would help, its a 50mph road, straighter, average traffic, line of sight is good. But I'd never turn off on to the A46 bcoz it would be suicide. I've never seen a cyclist on it and i don't know anyone that would, despite knowing some hardcore cyclists.

7. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Man or Moose!

Speed for one....

8. L14M

L14M Über Member

Ah crap.. sorry guys I can't cycle anymore :'(

dellzeqq and Beebo like this.
  9. Reiver

Reiver Legendary Member

I'm hoping to get over it too, it will certainly bugger my plans up for this summer. But for the moment, only empty single track roads for me.

L14M likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Brains

Brains Guru

FishFright, ColinJ and Ganymede like this.
  11. We did Lejog a while back - I'd agree with staying off the A30. We did it in 9 days, and at the time I was up for using it, but there are some really lovely country roads round Devon and Cornwall, and if you've got a decent GPS that gives you some turn by turn navigation, then you can get through them without having to check the map every turning... tbh, you're missing out if you take the A30.

Rickshaw Phil likes this.
  12. lejogger

lejogger Über Member

Yebbut... if you want to make good progress, then... https://app.strava.com/activities/139546875

13. Very good work lejogger that was very quick... but when I did it I spent more time on the bike.... who's the real winner!? :bicycle:

14. lejogger

lejogger Über Member

Touché ^_^
    It's a hard leg of the tour... incredibly lumpy, as you know. I was happy to get it out of the way and spend more time up in the rest of England and Scotland to be honest. I was also much fresher on day 2 than if I'd spent 8 hours in the saddle.
    Each to their own. It's not pleasant but it shouldn't be avoided at all costs. :okay:

15. OP
    OP
    Brains

Brains Guru

As the A30 subject has come up again, time to resurrect an old thread.
    Bottom line still remains, the A30 is not an option on LEJOG routing

Lpoolck likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice