A30 - Do NOT use it!

Discussion in 'Lands End to John O'Groats (LEJOG)' started by Brains, 3 Jul 2013.

1. burntoutbanger

burntoutbanger Senior Member

I drive this road weekly from Camborne to Exeter and up to a few years ago weekly from Penzance to Exeter.

I wouldn't ride a bike on it. :sad:

skudupnorth likes this.
  2. keithmac

keithmac Über Member

I can see the appeal if Strava is you main concern.

I wouldn't go anywhere near it on a bike (personal choice).

When driving I give plenty of room when passing cycles but doing follow through the mirrors the cars behind don't always offer the same courtesy.

It's the closing speed that's the biggest issue, you have to hope the vehicle has seen you in time and reacted to your presence. Sadly many don't have either the skill, observation or concentration to do so.

You are putting your life in the hands of the hundred or so cars that are passing you, hoping every driver is skilled and switched on enough to perform a safe pass..

burntoutbanger likes this.
  3. ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles Veteran

The A30 is horrendous!!! Even when I used to ride a small motorbike (a 125cc) I didn't feel very safe, let alone on a push bike!

The *old* A30 on the other hand is really quite a nice route from Exeter to Okehampton, I ride it fairly often to visit friends.

skudupnorth and jay clock like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice