London to Paris and back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Damon0105

hi I am after some advice
I am cycling London to Paris and back in July sailing from new haven and probably using the Donald hirsch route
I am trying to find a reasonably flat route from London to new haven that is under 100 miles
Also has anybody done this recently that can tell me what the surface conditions are like on avenue verte and the Donald hirsh route as doing it on road bike
Thanks in advance

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I am trying to find a reasonably flat route from London to new haven that is under 100 miles
I suspect there isn't one that is that flat. There are basically ridges each side of the M25 and another one along the coast. Avoiding those ridges means extra distance and then the gentle undulations add up to more climbing than a frontal assault on the hills at their weakest points.

London-Brighton on NCR 20 (with a slight detour to use the recent A23 cycle track and service roads instead of going via Staplefield) and then Brighton-Newhaven on NCR 2 seems like about 72 miles with 900m of climbing.

I would suggest that you use the NCN 20 out of London, and follow to Coulsdon, or put our cycle on the train to South Coulsdon, then leave the NCN 20 and head out over farthing downs, then Chaldon, Outwood, Crawley Down, Ardingly, Scaynes Hill, Wivelsfield Green, Cooksbridge, Lewes and Newhaven, using this route you avoid Redhill, Horley Gatwick Airport and Crawley. There are few flat routes available in the Weald. Indeed in the Weald there are some nasty short sharp hills turners hill for an example.

If you want a more flat uninteresting route, leave London on the 20 follow the 20 through Gatwick airport, Crawley ( two routes) either the signed route via three bridges and Tilgate forest (off road ) Parish Lane or follow through Manor Royal, Crawley Town centre, Southgate Ave, Bewbush, (steep hill near to Pease pottage end) then signed 20 route towards Brighton turn off for B2116 to Hurstpierpoint and follow through to Lewes then back road through Rodmell to Newhaven.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I would suggest that you use the NCN 20 out of London, and follow to Coulsdon, or put our cycle on the train to South Coulsdon, then leave the NCN 20 and head out over farthing downs, then Chaldon, Outwood, Crawley Down, Ardingly, Scaynes Hill, Wivelsfield Green, Cooksbridge, Lewes and Newhaven, using this route you avoid Redhill, Horley Gatwick Airport and Crawley.
cycle.travel estimates that as 66 miles with 900m of climbing, so about half an hour quicker than my Brighton idea - although I suspect the navigation is more challenging once you leave the Surrey Cycleway at Smallfield... It looks like one could save another 1.5 miles by replacing Scaynes Hill with Walstead.

I just laid out that route as a guide, it will allow the OP to get his maps out and sort out a route himself, Walstead is on route to Bedale corner , From Bedale corner I would turn right then first Left into Slugwash lane South to Wivelsfield

PK99

Legendary Member
hi I am after some advice
I am cycling London to Paris and back in July sailing from new haven and probably using the Donald hirsch route
Also has anybody done this recently that can tell me what the surface conditions are like on avenue verte and the Donald hirsh route as doing it on road bike
Thanks in advance

We used the Hirsh route a couple of years ago on road bikes, great, easy to navigate all road or tarmacked trail. we crossed the Avenue Verte a number of times, and were glad we were not using that as the gravel sections we saw were not road bike comfortable

If you want to catch the morning ferry, thus leave London after midnight, then going via Gatwick is a good idea. You can take your bike up the freight elevator and get a panini at Costa at 3am as a mid ride meal.
A panini/o. You meanna butty? I'd take my own/some other snack and and sit under the stars somewhere.

Well if a toilet is available and you need one all well and good. Not advocating doing that under the stars if a "real" one is available.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I would suggest that you use the NCN 20 out of London, and follow to Coulsdon, or put our cycle on the train to South Coulsdon, then leave the NCN 20 and head out over farthing downs, then Chaldon, Outwood, Crawley Down, Ardingly, Scaynes Hill, Wivelsfield Green, Cooksbridge, Lewes and Newhaven, using this route you avoid Redhill, Horley Gatwick Airport and Crawley. There are few flat routes available in the Weald. Indeed in the Weald there are some nasty short sharp hills turners hill for an example.

(Bump !) Looks similar to a route I've been planning for a mini tour from Dieppe later this year. I'm put off slightly by the need to use the B2028 between Lindfield and near Copthorne for a few miles, as I bet it's pretty horrible traffic-wise - but it looks flatter than quieter alternatives (I normally plan routes avoiding A and B roads where possible). Does anyone know what the B2028 is like to ride?

Last edited:
(Bump !) Looks similar to a route I've been planning for a mini tour from Dieppe later this year. I'm put off slightly by the need to use the B2028 between Lindfield and near Copthorne for a few miles, as I bet it's pretty horrible traffic-wise - but it looks flatter than quieter alternatives (I normally plan routes avoiding A and B roads where possible). Does anyone know what the B2028 is like to ride?
Living in Crawley I cycle along the B2028 quite regulary. What I find is at times traffice is light and cycling is not so bad, however sods Law means when you want to ride it every man and his dog is out in there cars using it a a urban raceway. if you look at your map you will see that there lot;s of minor roads which run north and south down through the weald whilst then do have some naughty hills in places they are by far a more pleasent option. As someone suggested it is far easier to use the new cycleway alongside the A23 from Handcross to Bolney rather than follow the signed route via Staplefield. Mind Staplefireld has a couple of Pubs and the Victoria does dome nice food.

Reactions: mjr

Broadside

Guru
I’m planning a ride to Paris in May on road bikes for my daughter. I was thinking Avenue Vert but just noticed upthread it says there are gravel sections.

Is the Avenue Vert a good option or is there a better way?

Top Bottom