London to Paris via Newhaven/Dieppe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
It was indeed, and the halfway stop was the first of many such. I've been there just a few weeks ago with ILB and his friend Sam.

Afraid, though, that the 27th is out. I will be traversing the Rings of Saturn somewhere near Harwich.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
User said:
I'm surprised you haven't offered to lead Matason down there dellzeqq :rolleyes: That way he wouldn't miss any of the architectural gems on the route.

You could do your normal pre-departure pep-talk... :biggrin:
The pre-departure pep-talk is 100 times better when you do it with me.........

OP
OP
matason

matason

Tally Ho!

Well I just wanted to say a huge thanks before I set off to everyone who took the time to post help and advice here and off list, you've been so helpful and re-assuring!

I've just re-packed my tiny pannier for the 7th time and will soon be getting on a train for London in preparation to set off tomorrow morning!

If you fancy getting together in London tonight for a little drink, post a comment here - http://drupal.org.uk/event/le-tour-de-drupal-charity-cycle-ride-london-paris/28-aug-2009

Take care and see you on the other side :smile:

Chris

Chef Shoes

lad in work did this for charideee last week, did in 3 days, stopped in dieppe for the night then gournay.

worst bit is the downs to newhaven apparently and the pub stops.. soo tiring :biggrin:

OP
OP
matason

matason

Job done

Hey I made it! I got to the Eiffel Tower yesterday afternoon! I'll post more soon (too tired at the moment) but one thing I'd say if you're doing the same, make sure you know where the Eiffel Tower is :smile:

OP
OP
matason

matason

Needle in a Haystack

I was almost tripping over it before I found it, I'd got slightly off route on the way in and had no sighting off it and soon I was in the streets lined with tall apartments, the assumption that you can see the Eiffel Tower from anywhere in Paris is just not true...

At one point, convinced I was near, I asked a local for directions who told me I was at least 10km away!

By the way, I didn't know about this supported folding bike ride from London to Paris next week - http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=75179230840

hygienic

Matason - so how did it go?

I'll also be doing London-Paris this spring with a group of friends who are all turning 40 (yes, probably has a lot to do with mid-life crises and not being able to afford a sports car).

We will also be taking the Newhaven - Dieppe route so I would love to hear any more experiences / tips.

OP
OP
matason

matason

Fantastic!

Hi hygienic,

It went really well, I had a fantastic time and I'd jump at the chance to do it again! I am sure you'll all have a wonderful time too :wacko:

I travelled ultra light, just in what I stood up in and a tiny pannier on the front of the Brompton with a few tools, first aid kit, bananas and paperwork.

London was incredibly busy (as expected), I had a turn by turn route (I'll post it if you think it will be useful) from Trafalgar Sq to Newhaven, there's some of the most wonderful cycling around Lonesome Lane, Chiltington area etc.

There's not much to do in Newhaven, there's the Star Cafe in the town centre and the ferry terminal is reasonably comfortable with a small cafe that opens around 6pm.

A GPS device is really handy, I took an iPhone 3GS but the battery life is dire, even just using it when I really needed to it still let me down.

I got a cabin on the ferry, got 4 hours sleep and then carried on cycling when I landed in France. It was very dark, scary and cold. I would take better lights if I did it again.

I didn't plan my route in France in much detail, I had maps and followed my nose, D1 -> D1314 -> D915 - the avenue de verte runs along a fair bit of this route and there were plenty of opportunities to get on/off it but I stayed on the roads.

I stopped mid afternoon at Gournay-en-Bray where I found a small hotel.

I continued on the D915 which is a fast road and quite narrow in places, vehicles have to straddle the centre line to pass unless you're right on the edge of the road.

I had a nightmare finding the Eiffel Tower, if I was going again I'd plan my route into Paris a LOT better.

There's so much I could say, probably best to let me know if you have any questions?

hygienic

Glad to hear you had such a good experience - really encouraging.

It sounds like my latest plan (to start near outskirts of london) might make for a better start, and I take the point about the lights - Santa? Please?

Plan to start more detailed planning in the new year, so I may take you up on the offer of help if I have more detailed questions.

One quick one for now - the plan is to arrive in Paris for a friend's 40th birthday party - what was your recovery time?

All the best.

OP
OP
matason

matason

Hi Hygienic,

Sure, please feel free to give me a nudge with any questions, this forum is fantastic and the advice/help I received from members here before my trip was tip top!

Starting on the outskirts may make for a more pleasant ride traffic wise, depends what you like, I quite enjoyed the challenge of navigating and avoiding get knocked off by cars and motor-bikes!

With regards recovery, I was surprised on this, I think I mentioned I had a bit of a nightmare finding the tower so I was perhaps a little more worn out at that point than I needed to be. I'd also had a nightmare finding my friends who had offered to put me up for the night, I had cycled/walked to completely the wrong area of Paris before realising my mistake. I was quite exhausted when I finally landed with them but after an hours rest and a shower we set off to walk around the streets of Paris for a few hours. I was tired for sure but felt good! It's amazing what a shower can do :sad:

I was a little sore and achy the next day but I was straight into a conference and it hardly crossed my mind.

I am not claiming to be super fit or anything, I am far from it but I'd done about five weeks training on the Brompton, going out for a ride 3 times a week doing anything from 10 miles to 50 miles. What I didn't do was two long rides back to back which I think I'd read as a suggestion but I don't think that mattered in the end.

Best,

Chris

Arch

Married to Night Train
In my experience recumbent touring in France, if you can get to your hotel/whatever by 4.30/5ish, have a shower and a sit down for half an hour, and then a beer in the bar, you're ready for anything. Well, in my case, dinner.:sad:

StuartG

slower but further
Did London - Newhaven/Dieppe - Beauvais in June.

Down the usual route to Turner's Hill (take the right fork on the hill to find the Red Lion). Then the road that runs parallel with the Bluebell Line and son - very quiet and beautiful B roads to just short of Lewes. Its bad from there to Newhaven - but hey you are feeling good by then.

If you are as mean as most lorry drivers - you go find the quiet lounge on the top floor of the ferry. Strip three seat covers and they make a comfortable free mattress to sleep the four hours.

Avenue Verte is a bit boring but its good to forget about traffic. Gounay is a nice place for cafes. For accommodation I recommend Formule1 in Beauvais (36 euros/room). Didn't bat an eyelid as I wheeled my bike to the room. Its opposite an Auchan for cheese, bread and a decent cycle aisles in case you need some bits. There is also a Decathalon so you are spoilt for choice.

London to Beauvais including Ferry and several bistros was 26 hours at a very relaxed pace. Next year I hope to do London Paris in about 30. That means less wine/kilometer - doh. Oh the signpost in Dieppe says Paris 146km.

Michsinc

London to Newhaven route

Hello

I am hoping you can help me. I am planning on cycling from London to Reims on Friday. I have noticed you have done the London to Newhaven route - would you mind telling me what route you took down there?

Many thanks
Michelle

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Hyde Park Corner, Berkeley Square, Eaton Mews, Sloane Square, Chelsea Bridge, across Clapham Common, Clapham South, Tooting Broadway, turn left, Mitcham, A237 to Coulsdon, turn right on Chipstead Valley Road, branch left on Portnalls Road, Chipstead, join the A217 just above the M25, turning left, but getting in to the second lane, around the roundabout, follow signs for Reigate (avoiding the left fork to Merstham), down Reigate Hill, watch out for the level crossing, go left in to the one-way system, then turn right at the traffic lights, immediately left, then right, then left at the lights, up Cockshot Hill, down again, cross the A2044, then 400 yards on turn left on Lonesome Lane, go on to Meath, turn right at the T-junction, and immediately left, past the Catholic church, then straight over the traffic lights, straight on past Waitrose and Horley railway station, half right at the roundabout (watch out for the kerb around the centre of the roundabout) take the second left which is called Haroldslea, go to the end of the road, curve left, and then, when the road goes right at 90 degrees go right, steering in the groove in the middle of the bumps, go straight across the path (a bit muddy at the eastern end), turn left at the end of the lane, go first right, under the motorway, watch out for holes, turn right at the T-junction, go to the end of the road again, and turn right at the T-junction on to Redeshall Road, turn left at the lights, go on about 700 yards, turn right at Effingham Lane, go to the end of the road, turn right, go straight over the roundabout, over Turners Hill, through Ardingly, in to Lindfield, turn left at the post office, go up Scaynes Hill, turn right and left (taking great care) at the A272, go to the end of the road, turn left, and then go take the first right and then almost immediately left on South Road, follow the road to Chiltinton, curve right on to Beechwood Lane over the railway, and then left on to Beechwood Lane again, past a beautiful pond on your rhs, join the A275, then keep to the right fork uphill when the road divides, go straight over at the crossroads, curve left, right and left and then follow signs for Iford Rodmell and Piddinghoe, cross the bridge in to Newhaven and then look for signs to the ferry port on your right hand side.

Top Bottom