London to Paris via Newhaven/Dieppe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
TheDoctor said:
You said that without moving your lips!!!

Or breathing!

J4DYD

Hi There,

Very useful information on this thread - many thanks to all the previous posters. Planning a trip with a work colleague later this year via Newhaven following Avenue Verte once in Dieppe. Was wondering if there are any ferry options that allow an overnight kip rather than the 4 hour sleep mentioned which sounds horrifying to a lazy oaf such as myself.

Was also wondering if road tyres blown to 120 ps would be suitable for the entirety of the route?

Many thanks

rickangus

Über Member
There's a morning ferry from Newhaven, usually around 9.30, but that can vary a bit depending on tide states.

That means you can have the dubious pleasure of staying at the Premier Inn half a mile from the ferry port - though that has to be better than getting kicked out in Dieppe at 03.30

laertes

If you google "avenue verte" you will quickly find the website of a guy who has done a very detailed routemap including recommendations for when it is nicer / better / easier to get off the signposted route, and places to stay / eat too. Cannot remember his name.

frank9755

Cyclist
There's a morning ferry from Newhaven, usually around 9.30, but that can vary a bit depending on tide states.

That means you can have the dubious pleasure of staying at the Premier Inn half a mile from the ferry port - though that has to be better than getting kicked out in Dieppe at 03.30

The overnight one does give you quite an early start but I enjoyed it when I did it last May. You get to ride through a deserted Dieppe and along smooth silent roads through sleepy villages for an hour or two, then the sun comes up and the cafes open, and you find you've almost done 50 miles before breakfast!

rickangus

Über Member
I can see there could be some real pleasure doing that, especially on a fine summer's morning, but If I'd cycled from London to Newhaven the day before I think I'd want a bit more recovery time.

albal

Guru
We re off from New/Die fri 0930 hr ,will be driving down to swiss and bunny hop back via cycle 5 days later. Our route is Montreaux>Beaune>Dijon>Troyes>Reims (from here as yet unplanned, nothing unusual there!). Be careful many 'D' roads were re classified from 'N' roads. And are busy. We are on 'C' & little white roads (on french michelin maps).

rickangus

Über Member
Albal must be back by now?

How was it?

albal

Guru
Well on the day of departure from CH my colleague had a call from home saying 1 of his dogs died tue pm. That put him in no mood to bimble home on a bike , so 'he' decided we must go home :sad:. Arr Newhaven thur am, drop me in Brighton & i rode home, that was the only cycling did in a week! (pick someone else next time?) (sorry simba nothing against dogs). Bit p1$$ed off really.

rickangus

Über Member
Sorry on both counts to to hear that.

I have a dog and I'd be upset if he died suddenly. Would also be sad to miss out on a planned ride.

Better luck next time!

few cloudy

Regular
Hi All

The first of what might be a few questions on this topic over the coming months :biggrin:....

Planning to follow the advice given in this thread so far on routes/directions.

However, as I am getting the train down to london from edinburgh I will not be able to make an early start for Newhaven. More likely being ready to leave London for about 12 midday. Ferry times from Newhaven to Dieppe are 0930hrs (arrive 1430hrs) and 2230hrs (arrive 0330hrs)

Also, due to the fitness of some of the group, I dont plan on cycling more than 30 miles at a time so will be looking for a stopover London-Newhaven. Any suggestions?

Time is not really a problem as we will be taking a weeks a/l from work. I've tried to push to do more than 30miles but I dont want to spoil the trip over it. But I was thinking that maybe a leisurely cycle to newhaven in a one-er would see us catching the 2230 crossing, but 4 hours would not be enough recovery time for some.

I'm a bit stuck, so any help much appreciated.

Regards

fc

few cloudy

Regular
Thanks Aperitif, that was an interesting 36 pages with some useful stuff hidden amongst tales of some desperate beer monsters...

Would still be keen to hear from anyone else who has done this trip and was unable to leave London early. Where did you stop on route to Newhaven? Has anyone ever stopped over on route to Newhaven, maybe not?

Regards

fc

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Gatwick is open all hours. If you're travelling during the day I'd recommend stopping in Lindfield, going to the Co-op and sitting on the bench opposite, taking in the view - which is fabulous.

Top Bottom