London to Paris

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Started cycling last year and did London to Brighton. This year upped it to a 100 mile ride. Now looking at the next step.

Lejog seems a bit too much to jump up to so I thought about London to Paris. It looks to be about 300 miles (plus a bit for me to get to London from Hampshire) and I would hope to be able to hop on a train to come home.

Has anyone done it?? There seems to be endless websites on lejog routes and accounts but nothing much on this apart from charity sites with groups.

I am guessing the route will not be too hilly and I am thinking it is quite easy to get a bed in France.

Any advice or pointing towards info would be most welcome.

snorri

Legendary Member
From the coast to Paris is certainly not the most interesting area in Europe to cycle through. It might be fun to breeze through with a friendly crowd on a charity run, but I found it an experience best forgotten.:becool:

rickangus

Über Member
It's not as far as 300 miles more like 200 but obviously depends on the route taken.

I did London-Paris (via Newhaven Dieppe) in May this year, and very much enjoyed the scenery on the route selected. However there was a 'voie verte' or something in french which is about a 40km stretch of tarmac-ed disused railway line which I found very boring indeed.

And I can confirm there were some hills! Generally the 'rolling' variety but some long and some steep. But enjoyable nonetheless.

Silly me, I was looking at a map on line and it must have gone over to Km on the French bit.

As 300 miles was about the max I thought I could manage, if it is more like 200 miles then I could look at other crossing options other than Dover Calais which may pull in a bit of scienery.

I have driven around that area but had thought that everywhere looks nice on the back roads.

May be a bit of an adventure going abroad and more fun than driving to manchester.

Mooster

I did this a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. Like rickangus I did Newhaven-Dieppe and then used the disused railway track. I'd agree that, although traffic free that section was a little boring - personally I'd have perfered to pass through the villages on the road.

I also followed the canal towpath in to Paris which was a good way in to the city. I carried on down to Fontainbleau, which I can recommend if you have the time.

I also had no problems turning up at the railway station and getting my bike on a train back.

Bigtallfatbloke

I rode to Paris the longway around when I was nearly 16..alng the coast from Dieppe to st valery en Caux, Fecamp and then down through Rouen...drunk and free of teachers and parents...oh happy daze:biggrin:

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I did the Newhaven / Dieppe route too, although didn't take along a map as fancied a bit of an adventure. I liked the Avenue Verte (mainly as I knew where I was going for most of it), and then wandered off for a night at Beauvais. Second day was Chantilly, lots of countryside, and a last few hours chasing airliners in the hope that they were going somewhere big. Turned out they were, and we spotted the Eiffel Tower from about an hour out of Paris.

The road surfaces were very good, and the drivers very considerate (until you get into paris, where it all gets a bit cobbled and scary).

Would have liked to find that canal path, mind you :biggrin:

jonathan ellis

I have it down as 280 miles as a fast route...

Top Bottom