FNRttC London to Shoreham Friday 2nd June 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I've related previously the tale behind the (originally) amazing loos.

Apparently, snazzy loos are a quick and comparatively cheap way of improving the perceived quality of a building. Gatwick however did this set on the cheap, which is why they now smell pretty unpleasant and on each of my last few visits there about half the cubicles have been out of action.
The worst "public" toilets I've ever used in the Western World are those in the South Terminal Passport hall at Gatwick. Ain't ever going back to those, nosiree.

robjh

Legendary Member
Any thoughts as to what was going on on Clapham Common at 1am? A big group of people sitting around in the dark with one or a few people declaiming something loudly, accompanied by some other shouting and running round.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Any thoughts as to what was going on on Clapham Common at 1am? A big group of people sitting around in the dark with one or a few people declaiming something loudly, accompanied by some other shouting and running round.
It sounded a bit like speaking in tongues - making random noises supposedly inspired by the Holy Spirit. If memory serves, the original reference is in Acts at the time of Pentecost ("they can't be drunk, it's only 9 o'clock in the morning").

That part of London is probably chock-full of various charismatic independent churches.

robjh

Legendary Member
It sounded a bit like speaking in tongues - making random noises supposedly inspired by the Holy Spirit. If memory serves, the original reference is in Acts at the time of Pentecost ("they can't be drunk, it's only 9 o'clock in the morning").

That part of London is probably chock-full of various charismatic independent churches.
I was thinking exorcism / driving out of demons or similar.
We really should have surrounded them with 70 lights on high beam to find out.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
No idea, I wanted to send someone to find out but the plan was vetoed on the grounds that the person might join their sect.
And when they don't come back you send another and when they don't come back you send another and so on until it would just be you and me stood on the common in the dark with a huge pile of bicycles.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I was thinking exorcism / driving out of demons or similar.
We really should have surrounded them with 70 lights on high beam to find out.
More likely an attempt to summon something up, was my take on it. And as I said at the time, I can't mock 'em for their weird beliefs and practices as I'm a Roman Catholic.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
Tagging this info here, as it's probably the most appropriate place.

Local residents had raised issues about a planning application that was put in last summer for a massive new housing development north-west of Shoreham Airport which would also put in an Ikea. To ease traffic safety concerns, they were also proposing to close the junction with Coombes Road which is the nice little windy road we drop down from Steyning to then cross the A27. Amongst all the letters submitted as part of the consultation were quite a few objections to this.

In further planning documents, West Sussex County Council have noted that the revised plans now include a proposal to obtain planning permission to upgrade the footpath running alongside the river from the old Toll bridge to a bridleway to then go under the A27, then run west alongside the north side of the A27, to connect onto the closed off junction of Coombes Road.

However, they've flagged up that not enough information is proved about the proposal to be sure it complies with the local plan for improving sustainable means of travel.

A bridleway isn't a proper 3m wide paved shared use path! Therefore please can anyone concerned about the lack of proper cycling provision to cross the A27 there submit their comments by 17th February either by email to Adur & Worthing Council at planning@adur-worthing.gov.uk, or online at www.adur-worthing.gov.uk/planning/applications/comment/ quoting Ref. AWDM/0961/17 (although you have to register to do that online).

Feel free to stress the lack of information about a vague bridleway, which won't be adequate for cyclists, and so a proper tarmac path should be required to be built.

Ta.

Last edited:
Top Bottom