London to Southend my first ever cycling event advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Evening all ..

Well last weekend the sun was shining & I dusted the bike off ( Marin Hawk Hill MTB ) it has road tyres on it .

I ended up doing about 18 odd miles & really really enjoyed it , this prompted me to enter the London to Southend ride on Sunday 17th July - 52 miles

Now I'm wondering about actually training for the event , I'm fit as train 5-6 days per week ( gym circuit training ) but like to know really what kind of mileage I should be putting in from now up & to the event itself ?

Any tips advice for the actual event itself ?

Whilst out on Sunday after a relatively short time I had pins & needles in my hands & had to keep putting them down by my side to relieve them , I'd like slightly wider handlebars I think as to be comfortable my hands are right on the very extreme outside edges

Also the numb bum scenario lol - I've no cycling clothing whatsoever so what would you reccomend to a newbie , apologies for all the questions but excited & also a little apprehensive about entering this event .

I'm in Essex by the way

Thank you for reading & for any forthcoming advice :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Time in the saddle, correct bike set up and padded shorts for the bum

Padded gloves, ergo grips and holding the bars loosely for hands

Time riding for training to be bike fit, replace gym with biking a couple of days a week, ride longer on weekend

Try to do a 50 miler or two before the event on similar terrain and roads. I assume the roads are open

Were you exhausted after the 18? If not you could probably do the 50 tomorrow if you eat/drink properly and find a good comfortable pace.

Practice if you can but don't think you'll struggle.

Get sone padded shorts and get a few miles in and the saddle sores will fade.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Time in the saddle, correct bike set up and padded shorts for the bum

Padded gloves, ergo grips and holding the bars loosely for hands

Time riding for training to be bike fit, replace gym with biking a couple of days a week, ride longer on weekend

Try to do a 50 miler or two before the event on similar terrain and roads. I assume the roads are open

Thank you vickster

I purchased some padded shorts today & some padded leggings as its still a little chilly out lol !

Gloves I got also , the Ergo grips I'm struggling with as I had a quick peak on line at them & there seems to be a few different types , please can I ask you the type that you'd reccomend I've just standard straight handlebars on my MTB ?

Will be cycling over to my mums in the morning that'll be about a 30 mile trip I think so good for starters & another step up from last weekend :smile:

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Were you exhausted after the 18? If not you could probably do the 50 tomorrow if you eat/drink properly and find a good comfortable pace.

Practice if you can but don't think you'll struggle.

Get sone padded shorts and get a few miles in and the saddle sores will fade.

Hi Mark .. Not exhausted but I knew that I'd done it lol numb bum & legs were aching lol other than that I felt fine & fresh & good as it certainly bests peddling an excerise bike in the gym & not getting anywhere , let alone the fresh air , oh & where I rode to its popular with other cyclists & it was nice to be acknowledged by them along the way I must say :smile:

You'll be fine. You'll have the stamina to do it. Just get done miles. I cycle even short rides to the local shops. It soon adds up.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thank you vickster

I purchased some padded shorts today & some padded leggings as its still a little chilly out lol !

Gloves I got also , the Ergo grips I'm struggling with as I had a quick peak on line at them & there seems to be a few different types , please can I ask you the type that you'd reccomend I've just standard straight handlebars on my MTB ?

Will be cycling over to my mums in the morning that'll be about a 30 mile trip I think so good for starters & another step up from last weekend :smile:
Specialized ones...Or Ergon if wanting bar ends too

https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized-bg-contour-lock-grip-00120046

https://www.evanscycles.com/ergon-gp3-grips-00120040

(Might find cheaper elsewhere)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thank you vickster

Ergon grips have somewhere to rest your palm, and often a stubby bit on the end to enable you to change hand position.

Ergon is a make, and they are as good as you will get.

But there are others of similar shape which are just as good and usually cheaper.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ergon-gp3-grips/rp-prod15030?gs=1&gclid=CISY_MuJy8sCFd

vickster

Legendary Member
By ergo, I meant ergonomic, rather than Ergon specifically, being lazy with typing following shoulder surgery!

cm2mackem

Über Member
Only two hills on London - Southend, if you can do 30 miles, you should do 50 easily, there are loads of people there who are doing their first 50 so you will get dragged along , are you getting the train to Stratford,look out for line closures, we tend to go from Chelmsford

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Only two hills on London - Southend, if you can do 30 miles, you should do 50 easily, there are loads of people there who are doing their first 50 so you will get dragged along , are you getting the train to Stratford,look out for line closures, we tend to go from Chelmsford

Got the bug lol ! Done 38 miles this morning absolutely loving it & think I'm going to have another go tomorrow :smile:

Probably will get the train up to Stratford as mrs tiny not keen on driving my van back from the start to drop me off , Chelmsford could be a possibility & easier for me than Southend , is it far from Stratford to the start do you know ?

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Padded shorts may not be comfortable and an appropriately-sculpted saddle may be better, or they may and it may not.

Other than that, all the above are fine tips.

Gel leggings were great just back from a ride this morning , legs know I've done it but the bums fine this time lol !

Honestly, if you "dust off the bike and ride for 18 miles" you should be teaching us :smile:

As the others have said, you are really good to go for a 50 mile ride. you might suffer the next day, but you'll finish it.

I used to get pins and needles in my hands on a flat bar bike, typically when riding on paths rather than roads. I think it was caused by the vibrations coming up from the handlebar. If that's it, padded grips and gloves will help. You might also look at letting a bit of air out of the front tyre, to soften the ride.

Watch out as you build up distances for saddle sores. If you end up with an open wound in your "saddle area", that might need time off the bike. Watch out for any tenderness or skin abrasions, and make sure you change out of cycling kit and clean up after a longer ride. I think you are more at risk than most, because you are fit enough to go further than certain parts of your body are ready for.

cm2mackem

Über Member
Got the bug lol ! Done 38 miles this morning absolutely loving it & think I'm going to have another go tomorrow :smile:

Probably will get the train up to Stratford as mrs tiny not keen on driving my van back from the start to drop me off , Chelmsford could be a possibility & easier for me than Southend , is it far from Stratford to the start do you know ?
About 5 mins, just follow the overs, the park is behind the station

Top Bottom