London to Southend my first ever cycling event advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
image.jpg
Just as you posted my mate sent me this lol !

Might have to have a liitle peak in the near future I guess !

Deanno1dad

Über Member
i'd certainly say time for a Road bike...I'm entered as well but will be cycling to the start from Romford and then cycling home to make it over 100 miles...Maximum training i would suggest is 40 miles before if you can do that as a solo rider you can add the rest with a group easily

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
I'm curious & must ask why you mention that it's time for a road bike , is it because everyone starts off on a MTB & then go's the route of a road bike , or am I missing the point ?

Though I will add the thought of going further & faster but not necessarily making it easier for me sounds appealing if you know what I mean

Like you just to share you thoughts if you can please - thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
More comfortable and efficient position for longer distances on road. Lighter, thinner tyres, higher pressures

However, if happy with speeds, distance and comfort on the MTB stick with it if you prefer

I'm curious & must ask why you mention that it's time for a road bike , is it because everyone starts off on a MTB & then go's the route of a road bike , or am I missing the point ?

Though I will add the thought of going further & faster but not necessarily making it easier for me sounds appealing if you know what I mean

Like you just to share you thoughts if you can please - thanks
I was going to post that there is no hurry in getting a road bike. You probably won't be that much faster. Save it as a reward. I got myself a road bike after doing the Dunwich Dynamo (120 miles) on this.
IMG_7162.jpg
the great thing is, if you pass people on a non-road bike, you have totally pwned them (as the kids used to say). If people pass you, well "no wonder, I'm riding this POS". Honestly the difference in speed is probably only a few percent. Enjoy your bike. When you want to treat yourself, then buy a new one.

Reactions: mjr

Deanno1dad

Über Member
It's a natural progression...I started with a hybrid..smashed the London 2 Brighton..got involved with Strava and realised a faster more efficient bike with less weight and high pressure skinnier tyres made it more enjoyable.

Joined a club whereby everyone used a roadie and have never looked back...If you are happy with what you ride..then it's not an issue....If you want to move onto group riding and meet likeminded riders then upgradings the only route forward.

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
It's a natural progression...I started with a hybrid..smashed the London 2 Brighton..got involved with Strava and realised a faster more efficient bike with less weight and high pressure skinnier tyres made it more enjoyable.

Joined a club whereby everyone used a roadie and have never looked back...If you are happy with what you ride..then it's not an issue....If you want to move onto group riding and meet likeminded riders then upgradings the only route forward.

Thanks all really appreciated :smile:

First run out today using the Strava app & well impressed with it I must add , I'm lucky that where I live it's very popular with cyclists & just going through the app I've now noticed the routes / segments & times etc that other cyclists have been on the same route as I today , my segment times are not to shabby & I wasn't even aware of the segments / routes whilst cycling today but can see its got a lot more mileage in it excuse the pun !

Think this is only going one way lol !

Keep an eye out for what road bike lol ! ;)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If you want to move onto group riding and meet likeminded riders then upgradings the only route forward.
Or you could just join a more relaxed group...
fenride.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I have a road bike and it is nice to ride, but more enjoyable? Not necessarily. I got it mainly because my roadster (currently in the avatar) is a bit big (tall with a high bottom bracket) and a bit long (just over 2m front to back) for transporting, whereas both wheels come off the road bike really quickly and it's a little lighter. It's slightly faster but that's because it's a bit lower, easier to hold an aerodynamic position in and geared a bit higher, but it's minimal. My go-to day-to-day bike is still the roadster. I think there's nothing to beat the feeling of riding high, getting an armchair-like ride.

I don't often ride an MTB but I have done and I can appreciate the attraction of them for kicking the back end out or gliding over rough stuff. Ride what you enjoy for as long as you enjoy it, IMO. Don't be pressured into buying a road bike before trying one and seeing if you think you might like it. If no-one will let you test ride a suitable one, you can hire one from various places.

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Going for the 40 Mile barrier tomorrow , not sure on route yet as it's going to be a selected round route trip using the Garmin edge unit I just purchased , so will be selecting 40 miles & hitting the search then ride button :smile:

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool

@vickster - well I took your advice & purchased the ergon gp3 grips , fitted last night & 1st ride with them today & boy I'm well impressed !

No more tingling fingers & the bike felt wider / more comfortable & the biggest thing that I found as when I had an incline to get up the grips enabled me to push on & get me butt out the saddle & push on with confidence , yeah felt me legs hurting but pushed on through that , thanks again for your advice it's appreciated :smile:

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Lol ! Could do with changing the thread title for this one now as confirmed entry today for the London to Brighton event Sun 19th June & a month before the London to Southend ride

Can't wait to participate in both events now :smile:

Top Bottom