London to Southend my first ever cycling event advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
@cm2mackem - I have the bike events brochure here now & have been looking at that , though on the same day (15th) there's a bike event even closer to me & one that I could actually cycle to the start !

It's called the tour of Dengie prodominetly a triathlon but the bike event is open to 150 riders doing 1 or 2 (25/50 mile ) laps of the circuit timed as well I believe it is , I contacted the organiser & enquired about entering on a MTB & told Yep all good & I wouldn't be alone just not decided yet & now you've got me thinking !

Quite fancy the one the week earlier as well in Hertfordshire on the 8th May for the willow charity being an arsenal supporter ive an interest as both Bob Wilson & David seaman participated last year I'd probably only do the short 25mile option as a taster , lots to decide on & really looking forward to taking part & helping out a few charities whilst doing so .

Decisions decisions lol !

vickster

Legendary Member
If you want to get into events why not do Ride London for charity on 31 July. 100 miles, closed roads and you can watch pros doing the Sureey Classic after you finish :smile:

Something to aim for. Most do on roadbikes but some on MTBs etc

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
If you want to get into events why not do Ride London for charity on 31 July. 100 miles, closed roads and you can watch pros doing the Sureey Classic after you finish :smile:

Something to aim for. Most do on roadbikes but some on MTBs etc

Yes that's something to aim to for sure & you never know I maybe on a road bike by then lol !

Could do the other events beforehand just to get the feel for it all , will look into it in more detail today , be a big step up from the 50 mile routes for sure but hey I love a challenge :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes that's something to aim to for sure & you never know I maybe on a road bike by then lol !

Could do the other events beforehand just to get the feel for it all , will look into it in more detail today , be a big step up from the 50 mile routes for sure but hey I love a challenge :smile:
There's always next year, could try the ballot

On the road bike front are you able to try a friend's bike for a ride, or are you much taller than them?
Otherwise, there's always the Evans route for test rides. I'm sure in their bigger stores like Mortimer Street or Spitalfields, they'd have a big enough frame to try out

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Yeah may try the ballot or may just see how I get on with the other bike events first & go from there

I'm a lot taller than my mates so can just look at the mo as a waste of time trying as the sizing / set up will be so different , I'm not even going to look just yet as soon as I find something suitable I'll buy it lol so keeping myself away from bike shops for a while yet .

Plan is to do both the London / Brighton / Southend events on my MTB I feel comfortable now after the last 3 days I've notched just a shade over 90 miles on the MTB including 20 miles today with hailstones in my face !

Prob add a couple of taster 20 / 25 mile events in beforehand to get the feel for it & how it all works etc ...

cm2mackem

Über Member
@cm2mackem - I have the bike events brochure here now & have been looking at that , though on the same day (15th) there's a bike event even closer to me & one that I could actually cycle to the start !

It's called the tour of Dengie prodominetly a triathlon but the bike event is open to 150 riders doing 1 or 2 (25/50 mile ) laps of the circuit timed as well I believe it is , I contacted the organiser & enquired about entering on a MTB & told Yep all good & I wouldn't be alone just not decided yet & now you've got me thinking !

Quite fancy the one the week earlier as well in Hertfordshire on the 8th May for the willow charity being an arsenal supporter ive an interest as both Bob Wilson & David seaman participated last year I'd probably only do the short 25mile option as a taster , lots to decide on & really looking forward to taking part & helping out a few charities whilst doing so .

Decisions decisions lol !
Have a look at the Essex roads website, they do one in billericay around June which is very well done

jefmcg

Guru
Do check out audax. http://www.aukweb.net You will (briefly) find the distance ridiculously long, but I think you are not far from managing them. They are much cheaper than sportive, no fundraising required. Can I offer the Ditchling Devil as an example? London-Brighton-London, 200km (125 miles). I helped out last year. Donuts at the start, morning tea. BBQ lunch, all the cake you could eat mid-afternoon, finish was up to you. I was stamping cards at the afternoon tea slot, so can attest to the quantities of cake - and the startling amounts riders can eat.

(It was brilliant. The local ladies making cakes were really happy with what they were being paid. The riders could not complain with eating on the road in the south east for £15. Perfect win/win, and the price has stayed the same this year. My only complaint was I went inside for my second piece of cake and found there were only 7 slices left, and 6 riders still on the road. As I well know, the last riders need a slice of cake more than anyone else.)

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Have a look at the Essex roads website, they do one in billericay around June which is very well done

Had a look at that & they have a dedicated site for the sportives that they have three of , the 1st maybe to soon & to long for me just yet but the June date looks good & could be a nice warm up for the London to Brighton that I'm doing the week after , looks a well run club that thank you for making me aware of it appreciated .

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Do check out audax. http://www.aukweb.net You will (briefly) find the distance ridiculously long, but I think you are not far from managing them. They are much cheaper than sportive, no fundraising required. Can I offer the Ditchling Devil as an example? London-Brighton-London, 200km (125 miles). I helped out last year. Donuts at the start, morning tea. BBQ lunch, all the cake you could eat mid-afternoon, finish was up to you. I was stamping cards at the afternoon tea slot, so can attest to the quantities of cake - and the startling amounts riders can eat.

(It was brilliant. The local ladies making cakes were really happy with what they were being paid. The riders could not complain with eating on the road in the south east for £15. Perfect win/win, and the price has stayed the same this year. My only complaint was I went inside for my second piece of cake and found there were only 7 slices left, and 6 riders still on the road. As I well know, the last riders need a slice of cake more than anyone else.)

Lol you know me to well already & yes daunted by that mileage but the cake omg sounds great that though need to watch Me weight , I'm a sucker for a cuppa tea & a lump of coffee & walnut cake , also doesn't help mrs Tiny running a cake / cupcake business from home , hey I could bring some along next year when I'm at a better level & might have a proper bike by then you never know !

Do agree on the costs though that sounds really really good , the London to Brighton is expensive but something I want & must do to say I've done it !

Think it's something like Min £200 sponsorship & then we're staying in Brighton the night before & the hotels are not daft there as they want to charge 2 nights when you only want to stay 1 night so another £220 !

Still only live once & a week before we go on holiday so why not :smile:

Thank you for the heads up I've added it to my growing list of cycling favourites & will be back when the times right to go a bit further lol

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Preparations have been going really well & been out getting more miles in the saddle & feel ready for this now , new road bike hopefully In the next few weeks & I'll be able to use that happy days indeed !

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Just to update this as it's been a while , I've now put the MTB away & now have a road bike ( giant defy advanced 2 ) that I'm in love with ( just don't tell the wife ! )

I try & swap every other night especially when the weathers been good & get out on the bike instead of going to the gym , on these evenings I'm doing between 20 & 25 miles & really pushing myself ( I blame Strava ! ) and at the weekends I go further but the rides are a bit more relaxed & stop for a cup of tea etc , the weekend rides I've been doing between 35 & 50 miles quite comfortably .

When I first posted this thread I was generally daunted by the length of this ride but within a month & a new good fitted bike I'm eating up the miles & now know that this distance is well within my reach , it's suprising how quickly you build up your bike fitness .

Will also be riding the London to Brighton event in June now as well & a more local event next Sunday in Chelmsford ( admirals park ) for J's hospice that's a 50 miler

Love the bike scene & the enjoyment & fitness it brings :smile:

cm2mackem

Über Member
Just to update this as it's been a while , I've now put the MTB away & now have a road bike ( giant defy advanced 2 ) that I'm in love with ( just don't tell the wife ! )

I try & swap every other night especially when the weathers been good & get out on the bike instead of going to the gym , on these evenings I'm doing between 20 & 25 miles & really pushing myself ( I blame Strava ! ) and at the weekends I go further but the rides are a bit more relaxed & stop for a cup of tea etc , the weekend rides I've been doing between 35 & 50 miles quite comfortably .

When I first posted this thread I was generally daunted by the length of this ride but within a month & a new good fitted bike I'm eating up the miles & now know that this distance is well within my reach , it's suprising how quickly you build up your bike fitness .

Will also be riding the London to Brighton event in June now as well & a more local event next Sunday in Chelmsford ( admirals park ) for J's hospice that's a 50 miler

Love the bike scene & the enjoyment & fitness it brings :smile:
Might see you there, we did the broomwagon last year, might be doing the same this year , and its going to be dry

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Ha ha I had to google broom wagon !

Yes hopefully wont be requiring your services but good on you for doing that :smile:

Top Bottom