London to Southend my first ever cycling event advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Honestly, if you "dust off the bike and ride for 18 miles" you should be teaching us :smile:

As the others have said, you are really good to go for a 50 mile ride. you might suffer the next day, but you'll finish it.

I used to get pins and needles in my hands on a flat bar bike, typically when riding on paths rather than roads. I think it was caused by the vibrations coming up from the handlebar. If that's it, padded grips and gloves will help. You might also look at letting a bit of air out of the front tyre, to soften the ride.

Watch out as you build up distances for saddle sores. If you end up with an open wound in your "saddle area", that might need time off the bike. Watch out for any tenderness or skin abrasions, and make sure you change out of cycling kit and clean up after a longer ride. I think you are more at risk than most, because you are fit enough to go further than certain parts of your body are ready for.

Good advice thank you , yep after today's ride must admit that I feel confident for the 50 mile trip already & it's a long way off yet , just lovely to be out on the bike , surprising the things that you notice although it was roads that I drive on day in day out I noticed things today that I've not seen before , will watch out for the sores so far so good :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
About 5 mins, just follow the overs, the park is behind the station

Cool thank you , think I will do that then good stuff

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Front tyre near the lowest, back tyre a bit harder. I think my bike with 47mm wide tyres runs at 40psi front, 55 rear. The one with 40s uses 45 front, 80 rear but that's a silly back tyre with a rather high minimum.

There's a "tire drop" chart from Bicycle Quarterly somewhere but it only has road bike widths. Rule of thumb is too hard feels every bump in the road and leads to stuff rattling off the bike, too soft squirms through corners or leads to pinch flats and dented rims.

Firestorm

Veteran
Planning this on myself.
Not to sure to go c2c from east of Southend to West ham and then cycle across to the start from there or cross to the Liverpool st line at Southend.
Need to get some miles in first though...

cm2mackem

Über Member
Planning this on myself.
Not to sure to go c2c from east of Southend to West ham and then cycle across to the start from there or cross to the Liverpool st line at Southend.
Need to get some miles in first though...
I think there are special trains put on from Southend, more space for bikes

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Read the sidewall of the tyre. Try lowest pressure recommended and see if that helps. Wider tyres can run at lower pressure.

(my flat bar was a folder, so no direct experience, sorry)

Yeah last weekend when I got my bike back out of hibernation the tyres were almost flat ( sat in my man room for near on two years ! ) I inflated to what the max psi was suggested on the tyre pretty sure it was 85psi they're nice & firm and the bike gets a wriggle on lol but after having a quick look through these forums it seems well to high , but then again it seems that there really is no definite answer as its dependant on tyre , tyre size , rider weight etc now I'm getting more into it I'll chop & change them & see how they feel , 38 miler today & the bike felt really good :smile:

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
I think there are special trains put on from Southend, more space for bikes

Yes sure you're correct , I entered on line last week & with your entry you get a choice to add Tain fair from Southend sure it was an extra £13 ( Southend to Stratford )

Firestorm

Veteran
Yes sure you're correct , I entered on line last week & with your entry you get a choice to add Tain fair from Southend sure it was an extra £13 ( Southend to Stratford )

I'll have a think about that, given thay I have a C2C sesson ticket so the train to West ham is already covered.

I've done london to southend quite a few times,the first time on a hybrid.It's not a hard course at all,mostly flat with a few hills.
Last year i got the early c2c from laindon and it was only half full.
I wouldn't bother with that "special" train" especially as the trains start from southend.

Yeah last weekend when I got my bike back out of hibernation the tyres were almost flat ( sat in my man room for near on two years ! ) I inflated to what the max psi was suggested on the tyre pretty sure it was 85psi they're nice & firm and the bike gets a wriggle on lol but after having a quick look through these forums it seems well to high , but then again it seems that there really is no definite answer as its dependant on tyre , tyre size , rider weight etc now I'm getting more into it I'll chop & change them & see how they feel , 38 miler today & the bike felt really good :smile:
So you got your bike out after 2 years, went on an 18 mile journey and a few days laster 38 miles??

You, my friend, are not setting your sights high enough. http://www.londonedinburghlondon.com

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Time to get a roadbike ;)

Lol ! I've a couple of mates all day everyday telling me that !

6' 5" tall don't fancy being bent over a road bike for any amount of time I must say , unless I'm missing something ?

Love my MTB it's been on a 2 year journey with me & a 9 stone reduction in my weight hence being a bit attached to it lol

Top Bottom