London to Southend my first ever cycling event advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
My Mrs will be at the finish in my transit custom crew cab empty so if any of you guys are stuck to get back Chelmsford way just shout can seat 6 & bikes in the back if needed

Lee gg

The park we finish in has the carpark open early plus the overflow bit, I've been talked into riding back to Chelmsford from Southend
Interesting, not that far anyway is it. Depending on the speed your hoping to go.

Lee gg

My Mrs will be at the finish in my transit custom crew cab empty so if any of you guys are stuck to get back Chelmsford way just shout can seat 6 & bikes in the back if needed
The speed your gift get you will be home hours before everyone else

DaggersJeff

Just come back from a few days in Ibiza (no, not warm weather training....more like cold San Miguel training!!)
Anyway, have my racepack, tshirt & number turned up wghile I was abroad, and to say the least I'm a tad disappointed!! Shirt has no date or year on it.
And whats all this about not being able to get the route map til you're on the start line??? Thought it was a charity ride -
not a two wheel orienteering event!! :cursing:

Lonestar

Veteran
Haven't done this since the last decade as far as I can remember but I would be interested to know how many attend.I got put off by the London - Brighton bike ride due to sheer volume in numbers in the late 90's.....Also London - Cambridge was a good day.I do remember the London - Southend being one weekend and the London - Cambridge being in the next weekend.Although they did change that.

uncle_adolph

Über Member
I remember doing the very first one back in 1986; it didn't start from Victoria Park back then and it was in May. It also finished at the seafront right by the entrance to the pier. Not many did it, as I recall!

Stopped doing it after four or five years when the numbers involved just took away the enjoyment.

Ian193

Über Member
I remember doing the very first one back in 1986; it didn't start from Victoria Park back then and it was in May. It also finished at the seafront right by the entrance to the pier. Not many did it, as I recall!

Stopped doing it after four or five years when the numbers involved just took away the enjoyment.

I can't remember where the first one started but it finished at southchurch park east just off the seafront I only did half of that one have done it a few times in the 90's. I'm doing it again this year and already looking forward to it

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Ha ha just had a read back through this & made me chuckle , I'm up to nearly 2000 bike miles since I started in April & try to complete at least 100 miles a week now at a reasonable pace

I was daunted by this ride when I originally posted this this thread but now consistently ride this kind of mileage week in week out either solo or with my local club , so I hope that this gives a bit of hope to any other newbies just starting out & shows that with a bit of dedication & motivation & regularly riding with a club what can be achieved in a reletivaty short time

I unfortunatly won't be doing this event now as I'm going to try & tackle the Dunwich Dynamo night ride on this coming Saturday night , at 125 miles it will be my longest ride to date but I'm confident with a steady pace & a few food stops I'll complete it ok .

Good luck to all of you taking part in the London to Southend event :smile:

Top Bottom