London to Wootton Bassett and back again

Which date would you be able to make?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So. Where were we? Ah! Hippydom that is Stonehenge at Solstice.

2rz8ges.jpg

Thanks to the Schoolmaster for tending our weary bicycles, we dribbed and drabbed into the arena, where a good cross-section of life was drinking (in) the atmosphere - a hum of weirdness. I was reminded of the 'feel' of London, post 'the recent wedding' - everyone in reasonable spirits and exchanging small talk. We had our photo taken (as long as we were within Mr Marmite's aura) several times, chatting to folk as the drumbeats sounded, the singing grated, and the accordions of the Morris Dancers rapped out a tune. The cops were everywhere.

nyaf6w.jpg

Strictly non-PC
I asked this woman wrapped in foil if I could take a photo of her.

bja4a0.jpg

"Yes" she said "but would you mind taking one of me as I don't have pictures, and I'm here alone..." I felt a bit sad after that, (but got a good shot on her camera with Stonehenge in the background) until I rocked over to the Morris Dancers. They were jingling around a horse and beating it in the friendly way one does - such splendid expressions, coupled with a lot of skill. (Well, I think so.)

qnlpqq.jpg

2r3fbid.jpg

hvwe2a.jpg

I could have stayed a few hours, just mingling, Davy was inhaling, positioned within the centre circle of stones, by way of a pick-me-up, and Andy was busy giving interviews . A woman cried out "I just got the results of my gluten test, and you're on my list" - something like that.Man, that Andy was a 'catch' on Solstice morn. :smile:
There were a few other photo ops that went begging, but Luke and Martin(XL) were cultured out by that stage and needed breakfast. It was only a short 32 miles away - pancake flat, a mere 'tap in' after what we had achieved.

Luke absent for this Facebook style portrait:

vh5285.jpg

We passed by the lads, making their way to Double Maths at Dauntseys, and saw a lot of thatched cottages, thatching part-completed (watching that is an education too) and beautiful square Georgian property, sat red and glorious in the early morning. A contrast to the military dwellings on the approach to RAF Lyneham / Royal Wooton Bassett. I'm sure there were vibrant communities everywhere. In such a landscape, it would be hard not to feel the spirits raised by a view or two...

8y6lc0.jpg

Ten past six and the sky was breaking - it seemed like the middle of the day to me!
Ten minutes later, we were in shock, having rolled past a pub. I looked at Andy, Andy looked at me - there was only one thing for it - photos! No-one would believe this!

2dk06ls.jpg

After the ripple, we rode on, stopping at a little village called?

2rc4n5g.jpg

2lji89i.jpg

I think this is Caen Hill, a series of 16 locks on the Kennett and Avon canal - outstanding scale of engineering. we speculated on the way the job was commissioned.

And then, Lyneham, followed by a trail into RWB - a bit of an anti-climax with a distinct ordinariness about it. (Don't know what I was expecting actually) we took advice on the nearest 'greasy spoon' as munchiemania was high on the agenda. Two locals gave two different places. we bumped into both a second time as we circled around searching... a unilateral declaration of "don't go to that old hole" from an elderly citizen meant that we just parked up in front of the 'pizza café', the prospect of unlimited coffee being the draw!

2repoo0.jpg

Breakfast in glorious sun, with begrudging service :smile:

With a Sainsburys opposite, it was only a simple exercise to get refuelled with onboard supplies for the bimble to Marlborough... :biggrin:

28198ub.jpg

The gang - whipcord taut and ready for miles, next stop, the A4.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
So cycling 250 miles isn't difficult enough?

:rolleyes:

To add to the challenge someone decided to do it with two flower pots balanced on their head?

:biggrin:

That's Luke, always up for that extra bit of a challenge!!! :whistle:

Great pictures 'Teef. It's all starting to seem like a distant dream now, was it really only 3 days ago that we rolled into RWB for breakfast?

That's Luke, always up for that extra bit of a challenge!!! :whistle:

Great pictures 'Teef. It's all starting to seem like a distant dream now, was it really only 3 days ago that we rolled into RWB for breakfast?

Exactly. Which is why it is important to empty the bins of life all across this thread! Memory plays some funny tricks given time, and so much went on between Monday and Tuesday. Also, it will set a precedent for 'charity ride' reportage! :smile:

A diagonal to the A4, crossing Davy's 'suspect' A - road looked good on the map, and obviously Luke and Martin(XL)'s Garmins concurred.
A vista of hilliness stood before us. Oh well, it will not be too taxing - after all, we are proper cyclists, not carbon fibre "all show and no go" merchants :rolleyes:
I think I would have exploded a HRM if I had been wearing one. The day was warming up, the roads were tipping up, Martin(XL) looked at his watch again, wondering if he would get back for Corrie...

313g8xj.jpg

The white Horse was another jewel in the journey.

6giiw8.jpg

Luke fancied doing them both again... We saw riders coming at the hills from the other direction - some folk weren't silly! And then the descent into Marlborough began. An opportunity for Davy to open his legs (and not a Tescos in sight)... we stood well back.

2ymawjt.jpg

Appositely, there were swathes of poppies...

21bt6gw.jpg

...and more subtle tints.

Nearing the A4, I rode down the line to catch the lads in 'action'. High octane made static by dint of the camera, but I had watched Andy casually get his camera out, muck about with stuff while cycling along, and I thought there should be at least one pic. of him in motion as he always does it for others, so...

33a9gzc.jpg

Andy

9a75g3.jpg

Martin

6sq2dd.jpg

Davy

2a0jhjr.jpg

Luke

Luke obviously leading at this point as it was an easy bit as I was snapping from 'back to front' of the group.
And then it was Tescos again, followed by a helping of the A4 to LONDON, and "Cenotaph 2 - The Arrival"

Excellent vid Andy.
Well done all. Looks like a great ride.

A super video to end a good bimble report. Today, I was mentioning to andy that I'd like to do a similar one 'out of solstice' - so that it is possible to hit the roundabout and ride up the simple slope to the stones without all the officialdom. :whistle:

15f566g.jpg

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
A super video to end a good bimble report. Today, I was mentioning to andy that I'd like to do a similar one 'out of solstice' - so that it is possible to hit the roundabout and ride up the simple slope to the stones without all the officialdom. :whistle:

I'm up for it but don't you need some kind of application to get to the stones normally?

I'm up for it but don't you need some kind of application to get to the stones normally?

I try, and I try Martin, but I can't get no satisfaction...

Andy, just been admiring your piece of composite art again. It's a lovely piece of thoughtful work. I will now proceed to send it around the world!

Did the photo of Davy, looking like he'd just exited the flying saucer, ever get published... or was it considered too frightening for children of all ages? (It was taken after Martin and Luke sailed past the big sign saying 'Dead End', because their Garmins said it was ok) :smile:

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Did the photo of Davy, looking like he'd just exited the flying saucer, ever get published... or was it considered too frightening for children of all ages? (It was taken after Martin and Luke sailed past the big sign saying 'Dead End', because their Garmins said it was ok) :smile:

Ok my Garmin is being retired!! Well sold off to some mug fortunate person with a sense of adventure!!!!
whistling.gif

We also need to come up with a competition that will see regular awards of the Armwarmers Cup!!

Top Bottom