London to Wootton Bassett and back again

Which date would you be able to make?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I gave the trio of friends one of my 'business cards' for the Friday Night Ride - so expect to see them again! (I doubt that they made Stonehenge eh?)

Whilst the question of attribution remains unanswered by archaeologists, I sincerely doubt any of the three riders had a hand in it.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Whilst the question of attribution remains unanswered by archaeologists, I sincerely doubt any of the three riders had a hand in it.

Ooh that's quite witty for someone who should be knackered. I struggled to get the required skills together this morning to make coffee! :tongue:

Sent while out and about

redjedi

Über Member
a late response from me but after I got in and ate dinner I promptly fell asleep.

That was an excellent ride which I'm glad I did. 220 miles is bar far my longest ride and boy am I feeling it today. I haven't ached like this for a long time.

I didn't go all the way back to the start as the temptation to stop when we passed my house was too much.

GPS route

Well done to Martin for the idea and raising money, and to everyone else who made the ride as enjoyable as it was.

Well it was almost all enjoyable. After about 150 miles the torture device that is my saddle got too much to bear and so my hands and feet started to suffer from having extra weight to carry. Time to try yet another saddle.

a late response from me but after I got in and ate dinner I promptly fell asleep.

That was an excellent ride which I'm glad I did. 220 miles is bar far my longest ride and boy am I feeling it today. I haven't ached like this for a long time.

I didn't go all the way back to the start as the temptation to stop when we passed my house was too much.

GPS route

Well done to Martin for the idea and raising money, and to everyone else who made the ride as enjoyable as it was.

Well it was almost all enjoyable. After about 150 miles the torture device that is my saddle got too much to bear and so my hands and feet started to suffer from having extra weight to carry. Time to try yet another saddle.

I did offer to share my Assos cream,as ! Might have kept the rumbling to a minimum but, ideally, get some on your sensitive zone before the ride out - it helps! :smile: (Or get a friendly injection!:ohmy:)

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Awesome stuff folks...Luke if your saddle is good for 150 miles then just don't ride any further than that.

By the way, looking at the pics who's the dodgy hippy geezer cultivating a jesus complex?

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Awesome stuff folks...Luke if your saddle is good for 150 miles then just don't ride any further than that.

By the way, looking at the pics who's the dodgy hippy geezer cultivating a jesus complex?

That is the druids' new god, Mr Marmite!!
whistling.gif

GPS route

Max speed 53.5mph. I suspect that might be on the descent into Marlborough (a 'French' style, see it all before you and know what's coming sort of descent), or perhaps the slope before - where you go so fast you are thinking "oh sh*t, this is great, but it can't last for ever... can it? (Answer 'no' :smile: )

Do you remember the poppy stained fields and the tinted swathes of forget-me-nots? And then that intense red scar higer up the landscape - poppies again. Absolutely breathtaking.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Blimey. That's fast. Mind you, I'm not entirely sure I trust those GPS things.

My version of the track (ridewithgps) seems to think we peaked at 104.8 mph!

On the plus side, not wanting to leave the little unit in the car park I took it to the henge on foot. If you set RWGPS to satellite view and zoom in, you can see the track pass right through the centre of the stones.

You can also see me forget my glasses (once at my own front door and again at mile 36) and get turned away from home at mile 247 by Evey, as she wouldn't let me in the door until I hit 250.

Either she's very supportive, or just needed an excuse to gain a few minutes (presumably ushering her clandestine lover(s) out of the house before I returned).

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Blimey. That's fast. Mind you, I'm not entirely sure I trust those GPS things.

My version of the track (ridewithgps) seems to think we peaked at 104.8 mph!

On the plus side, not wanting to leave the little unit in the car park I took it to the henge on foot. If you set RWGPS to satellite view and zoom in, you can see the track pass right through the centre of the stones.

You can also see me forget my glasses (once at my own front door and again at mile 36) and get turned away from home at mile 247 by Evey, as she wouldn't let me in the door until I hit 250.

Either she's very supportive, or just needed an excuse to gain a few minutes (presumably ushering her clandestine lover(s) out of the house before I returned).

What model is your GPS? I think I may need to purchase a new one!!

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
martin235, did your achilles tendon give you any trouble?

No, well not too much. It was making itself known but bearable without painkillers. Having to rest up cos of gout give it a little time to heal I suppose. I'll find out for sure on my commute tomorrow.
rolleyes.gif

redjedi

Über Member
Max speed 53.5mph.

As Andy said I don't think that is very accurate.

The actual display on the GPS said 35.6mph which I think is correct. I'll have to make a return trip from Brighton over Devils Dyke to try and beat my PB of 49mph.

Attachments

• DSC00544.JPG
    DSC00544.JPG
    431.9 KB · Views: 45

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
I didnt go over 40mph, peaked at 39.4mph, what I dont quite get, given we had some great decents, but what is correct, as no 'Garmin' label is attached to speedo...

Top Bottom