London Tower Bridge - Good Chinese or Indian restaurants

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
There's a good chinese just up from St. Pauls but it's a bit pricey and not quite next to Tower Bridge. The problem you have on the weekend is most things close down as we have all gone to the country for the weekend (Scotland if we can make it that far............;)).

If you're looking for absolution before your evening of sin, why not try Pizza Express at Southwark Cathedral, I can recommend it. Only a short walk along the South Bank from Tower Bridge (across Tower Bridge, turn right, past HMS Belfast, under London Bridge, Southwark Cathedral on left) and the restaurant is reasonably priced and great decor inside as it is actually part of the cathedral. The area is also great for a bit of sightseeing, the original 'Clink' jail is just up on your left (this area of London used to be nothing but prostitutes and whorehouses in the middle ages; nothing's changed) and the Borough Market area adjacent to the Cathedral is a popular location of a number of famous films (Mission Impossible, Lock, Stock, & Two Smoking Barrels, etc.) so is good for a stroll round and there's a couple of good pubs close by. Plus under London Bridge is a good nightclub I'm told, but I have no idea if it's open at weekends.

If you're looking for a curry, Brick Lane is a short walk from Tower Bridge and it's not short of Indian Restaurants and you won't need a reservation. Good grub and plenty of Cobra beer.

ChrisKH said:
The area is also great for a bit of sightseeing, the original 'Clink' jail is just up on your left (this area of London used to be nothing but prostitutes and whorehouses in the middle ages; nothing's changed)

I am giving a talk at a conference in this location tomorrow. Thankfully it will still be daylight when I arrive/leave...

there's a wagamama near southwark cathedral too - close to the Globe.

word of warning - City places tend to be more expensive than normal London places and most are shut at weekends.

there's a nice Thai (i think) place on Tooley Street which isn't far from Tower Bridge... it's east of the london dungeon, heading towards tower. there's a chinese on the corner of the block it's on, but i've never been in there to know if it's any good.

there's also a south american type place on another corner close by - i can't recall the name, but it's the same as a Pegoretti model (not marcelo)

OP
OP
Rab

Rab

Veteran
ChrisKH said:
There's a good chinese just up from St. Pauls but it's a bit pricey and not quite next to Tower Bridge. The problem you have on the weekend is most things close down as we have all gone to the country for the weekend (Scotland if we can make it that far............;)).

If you're looking for absolution before your evening of sin, why not try Pizza Express at Southwark Cathedral, I can recommend it. Only a short walk along the South Bank from Tower Bridge (across Tower Bridge, turn right, past HMS Belfast, under London Bridge, Southwark Cathedral on left) and the restaurant is reasonably priced and great decor inside as it is actually part of the cathedral. The area is also great for a bit of sightseeing, the original 'Clink' jail is just up on your left (this area of London used to be nothing but prostitutes and whorehouses in the middle ages; nothing's changed) and the Borough Market area adjacent to the Cathedral is a popular location of a number of famous films (Mission Impossible, Lock, Stock, & Two Smoking Barrels, etc.) so is good for a stroll round and there's a couple of good pubs close by. Plus under London Bridge is a good nightclub I'm told, but I have no idea if it's open at weekends.

If you're looking for a curry, Brick Lane is a short walk from Tower Bridge and it's not short of Indian Restaurants and you won't need a reservation. Good grub and plenty of Cobra beer.

Thanks ChrisKH, that is very helpful

Much obliged

OP
OP
Rab

Rab

Veteran
laurence said:
there's a wagamama near southwark cathedral too - close to the Globe.

word of warning - City places tend to be more expensive than normal London places and most are shut at weekends.

there's a nice Thai (i think) place on Tooley Street which isn't far from Tower Bridge... it's east of the london dungeon, heading towards tower. there's a chinese on the corner of the block it's on, but i've never been in there to know if it's any good.

there's also a south american type place on another corner close by - i can't recall the name, but it's the same as a Pegoretti model (not marcelo)

Laurence

Thai - might be a good idea

Better put it to the troops to decide.;)

hop on the DLR from tower gateway to south quay(about 10mins) and theres a cracking floating chinese restaurant on millwall dock worth the visit.

Rab said:
Laurence

Thai - might be a good idea

Better put it to the troops to decide.;)

if you find Fina Estampa then the thai is just down from there. i've only had lunch in the thai, but it was very nice.

ChrisKH

Guru
dangerousjules said:
hop on the DLR from tower gateway to south quay(about 10mins) and theres a cracking floating chinese restaurant on millwall dock worth the visit.

That's also a good idea, I hadn't thought of that. Nice views I would imagine (never been, but it has been recommended).

ChrisKH

Guru
Kirstie said:
I am giving a talk at a conference in this location tomorrow. Thankfully it will still be daylight when I arrive/leave...

Actually it's a very good location even at night Kirstie; it was only a bit dodgy in the middle ages, honest.

Forget the whole thing. There are no decent restaurants round here (I write this from Queen Elizabeth Street), unless you want to pay way, way, way over the odds at Le Pont de la Tour.

cheap nosh a short cab ride away - curry in Brick Lane - and it's really entertaining.
not so cheap nosh a short cab ride away - St. John in Commercial Street.

I'd be tempted to just walk down the Embankment to the Oxo Tower and get hammered on their cocktails. The food is not good, but the cocktails are splendid, and the walk to get there is brilliant - very romantic if that suits.

U

User169

simon l& and a half said:
not so cheap nosh a short cab ride away - St. John in Commercial Street.

Roger that - you could get them to kill a suckling pig (feeds 14 I think).

Top Bottom