Lonely Sunday riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Like many others have already said solo cycling is best just man or women and a bike in perfect harmony

i always acknowledge and other cyclist's i see when out as anybody riding a bike is a cyclist whether in lycra , joggers or jeans

Many years ago I used to ride with the local CTC riders they all wore "normal clothes " and touring bikes it was and Im sure still is a social event I go out on Sundays now and I feel very much the odd one out me on a touring bike with "normal "clothes ones comfortable on the bike but get off the bike and you don't look like a cyclist ,every one else is a Sunday sportif rider either alone and head down going for it or usually a group ,I feel like an alien landing on the wrong planet ,the only way to fit in is buy a sportif bike ,lycra and double my average speed none of witch I want to do ,there are benefits with solo riding the silence ,wild life ,taking in the views, go when you want but I do have a pang of envy while at a café watching the groups chatting away ,unfortunately at present don't have time or energy to join a club or group ,I do however enjoy exchanging a greeting and occasionally talking to the ones I meet ,but what has happened to all the "normal " Sunday cyclist did they morph in sportifs or just disappear.

A lot are probably working on Sunday in the UK.

We have the opposite problem on Sundays because pretty much everything closes down so the cycle ways are so full we have congestipon problems on popular routes. There's one trail which leads through to the next valley and I try to get past that by 0900 on a Sunday.

I generally wear normal clothes or trekking clothes. When commuting back from work I'll go for long explorations on the bike wearing my steel toecapped work boots.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
Marketing happened to them, they didn’t disappear, they’ve just become members of the ever increasing number of cycling tribes.

I must have joined one of your imaginery tribes over 50 years ago, I very seldom ride my bikes wearing anything but kit designed for cycling. Come to think of it I also do not wear a boiler suit when swimming. I ride on my own nowadays and mainly for health benefits.

otek59

Very true biggs682, we are all cyclists yet I do find it odd that if I’m on my road bike some mountain bikers don’t acknowledge me and vice versa

I have a busy work life and have (had) a busy home life. The solitude, rather than loneliness, is a big attraction in cycling to me. I only turn up for my club run about 5 times a year, they are the only times I have a cafe stop. I often wear lycra, but not always.

I've long held that the bicycle is one of the best things civilisation invented for introverts.

screenman

Legendary Member
Very true biggs682, we are all cyclists yet I do find it odd that if I’m on my road bike some mountain bikers don’t acknowledge me and vice versa

That is nothing to do with cyclist but people in general. You would always get a nod off of myself no matter which bike I was one.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Then there's the one's who just do what they like. That'd be me then.. Leave the sheep to do what makes them happy.
That sounds amazing. I’ll copy you.
I want to be different...……. like you! :wacko:

D

Deleted member 1258

These days I ride on a Monday most weeks, I'm too busy with family stuff on a Sunday. I'm typing this at my coffee stop, Sutton Cheney this morning, I used to be a club rider but I got fed up spending my rides holding a wheel sat in the middle of the pack so as I lost my pace I dropped off the club rides and started riding alone.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
The odd solo ride i dont mind. Love ridding with mates. The odd club ride when i can be bothered. But without the club rides i would not have met cycling mates. I nod to all riders. I wear lycra. Normaly ride Saturday and Sunday. and in the week. Do a bit of coaching. Getting people up to speed. Just enjoy being on the bike. Love the social in the pub after every ride.

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
I do enjoy riding on my own there are many advantages to it and would not won't to ride with others all the time, i guess i just miss riding with mates somtimes as i have done in the past, but after family time and work you just have to fit a bit of cycling in when you can which makes riding with others more difficult

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I usually ride on my own. I could go down and buy a Specialized bike and be a part of the local cycling tribe based from the cycling store, but I don't really like to ride as they do, and I don't ever have the idea I will be a competitive rider again. By the time one is pushing 60, I feel the time for competition is over and the time for enjoyment of the world I have been placed in is at hand. Other fellows are still out there hammering it. I say good for both of us. In cycling, there is no need for us versus them, it is just us.

Top Bottom