Long climbs, UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ball

So I've been reading about Holme Moss, Great Dun Fell and Bealach Na Ba as some of the longer road climbs in the UK, but was wondering if anyone had any other good suggestions? Especially in the South East.

I did my first mountain climbs a couple of weeks ago in the Southern Alps and I've got a taste for climbing and really want to improve. But I'll have to stay in the UK for the time being because I'm totally skint.

jimboalee

You don't have to find long climbs to train for climbing. Just load up your bike with weigh training discs and a low gear and grovel up the North Downs.

Its the continuous Wattage output you are aiming for. Lots of mass up a shallow climb can equal a light mass up a steep climb.

OP
OP
Ball

Ball

I know, but there's something far more enjoyable about continuous climbs and changing scenery, and also the psychological factor of facing a big climb and completing it.

You don't have to find long climbs to train for climbing. Just load up your bike with weigh training discs and a low gear and grovel up the North Downs.

Its the continuous Wattage output you are aiming for. Lots of mass up a shallow climb can equal a light mass up a steep climb.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I have it, but his preference seems to be for shorter, sharper climbs. Or maybe there just really aren't that many longer climbs in the UK.

That's pretty much it. Britain doesn't have very large mountains, so the climbs you already listed are about the top in terms of length. Britain does have some unrivalled evil short steep climbs though. They are one of the few things I miss here in largely flat Ontario...

jimboalee

There are plenty of hills in SE England you can tow a Burley trailer full of sandbags.

robbiep

Über Member
A bit off your patch but there are some great climbs around the 5 valleys area of Stroud, a couple of stonking hills that go on and on.

If your after a short sharp hit, there's a climb in Haresfield that hits 25%, I was grinding a granny gear to hit the top!!

There's a hill that has the Royal George pub at the top (want to say Birdlip hill but it's not?????) and it's a corker, as you climb you look back over Gloucester and the river Severn, amazing views. There's a nasty kick at the top which you'd enjoy.........and there's a nice pub at the top. We rode a loop that was about 5 miles which picked this hill up when training for our LEJOG trip, certainly did the job!!

If you're around that way a good 60 miler can pick up some big gradient, really enjoyable and very satisfying.

fimm

Veteran
My boyfriend (who grew up in the Alps, and so isn't easily impressed by British hills) rated the climb over Cairn na Mount near Aberdeen.

vorsprung

Veteran
My boyfriend (who grew up in the Alps, and so isn't easily impressed by British hills) rated the climb over Cairn na Mount near Aberdeen.
In north Wales there's some great stuff

Capel Curig over Pen y Pass then down to Llanberis is pretty good but the ascent is only about 250 metres. Nice view though

4833246177_8bd49f57b6_b.jpg
On the A4086 by vorsprung2009, on Flickr

I would guess that there is a way from Bala to Bwlch-y-Groes that gives 400 metre-ish climbing over several km. Probably several good climbs of a few hundred metres in this area. Beautiful part of the world.

I live on the Devon-Somerset border. The longest hill I can think of around here is the B3170 from the M5 bridge near Taunton via Corfe up to the X with the "Lisieux Way". This is approx 7.5km and 270 metres ascent

Top Bottom