Long climbs, UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There are quite a few climbs around the lake District with 400m of climbing (i.e. altitude gain) because, although the pass isn't high (typically <1500 ft), they start from close to sea-level. Kirkstone (from Troutbeck or Windermere - only masochists climb 'the struggle' from Ambleside) and Shap (ht gain is added to by a few significant descents along the climb - but you do get a rest) are the two I use most frequently as they're close to home.

I must be one of those 'masochist chappies'. Really enjoyed grunting all the way to the top of the struggle (and my chain came off twice!), and the ride back down was tremendous:thumbsup:

jimboalee

Define 'long' and 'significant'.....

This has been mentioned before.
A hill which takes more than 600 kCals to get from bottom to top.

3.3% at 17.6 kmh should take 1/2 hour up the 8.8 km. On an SWorks ( 200 Watts continual output ), that's only 680 kCals/hour, so 340 kCals all up. Nowhere near.
Its 375 kCals on a 24 lb Dawes Giro 500. Still easy.

Svendo

Guru
Todmorden, 4 miles to the west of here, has alternated between Yorkshire and Lancashire with local boundary changes, but as far as I know, Cragg Vale has always been in Yorkshire. ;)

longest_hill.jpg

Only just, You enter back into Lancashire just after the summit but before the junction with the A58, There's a boundry stone at the north east corner of Blackstone Edge Reservoir on the roadside that says Mythholmroyd urban district council one way and I think Littleborough the other, but I can't quite remember or read on streetview! It's your reward for getting to the top, returning to Lancs.! <runs for cover!>

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
This has been mentioned before.
A hill which takes more than 600 kCals to get from bottom to top.

3.3% at 17.6 kmh should take 1/2 hour up the 8.8 km. On an SWorks ( 200 Watts continual output ), that's only 680 kCals/hour, so 340 kCals all up. Nowhere near.
Its 375 kCals on a 24 lb Dawes Giro 500. Still easy.
It usually does take me about 30 minutes to climb though I did it in 23 minutes once when I was fitter. I reckon 20 minutes would be about my limit if I was at my best and that is one of my long time cycling goals.

It's normally harder than it sounds because there is often a cross headwind for the exposed second half of the climb. I did it in the winter once into a bitterly cold gale and it took me 65 minutes! :eek:

beastie

Guru
These are 2 significant climbs round by my bit.

Great Dun Fell which is 9km @7.7% .

and then there is the climb to Hartside which is a lot easier but still a big effort (for me anyway)

from Renwick 7km @ 6.2%
from Melmerby 9km @ 4.7%

The climb from Melmerby is a very steady gradient with only one short stretch over 10%. It is easy to establish a nice tempo, from Renwick there is a steeper middle couple of km's until you join the main road and then it is a steady 5 % to the top.

Jimbo my best time this summer form melmerby to the top is 38 mins @ ave speed of 14.2 kph. I weigh 99.5 kg and my bike + accesories is about 10kg , can you tell me how much energy did I expend please? By the way the first time I went up Hartside I was 113kg and on a hybrid @ about 14kg. It hurt.

OP
OP
Ball

Ball

Beastie they sound fantastic. I've wanted to climb Great Dun Fell for a long time now and was thinking of spending a weekend in the area sometime soon to do so. The climb to Hartside would be a very welcome addition.

What would be a good place to stay as a base for tackling them both, Appleby-in-Westmoreland?

beastie

Guru
Beastie they sound fantastic. I've wanted to climb Great Dun Fell for a long time now and was thinking of spending a weekend in the area sometime soon to do so. The climb to Hartside would be a very welcome addition.

What would be a good place to stay as a base for tackling them both, Appleby-in-Westmoreland?

Any point between Penrith and Appleby would give you a nice warm up round country lanes before you reach either, Great Dun Fell nearly Dun me in the first and so far only time i was brave/stupid enough to do it. I suggest you climb it soon as the weather will only get worse now. If you want a nice B & B then i could suggest The Highland Drove at Great Salkeld ( I work for the guy who owns it) - he gets a lot of C2Cers through the summer.

Steve

beastie

Guru

Oh I forgot there is a thread on here with a couple of pictures and this is the profile.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

I worked out a mega-hard 112 mile (180 km) loop from Kirkby Stephen station that took both climbs in, then continued to take in the climbs of Yad Moss, The Stang, Reeth Moor and Birkdale Common. The plan was to take my bike up there on the first train of the day on the Settle-Carlisle line and make it back in time to catch the last train home. The trouble is, I've never been fit enough to tackle it, especially since there is only about 8.5 hours to do it in.

One day perhaps...    :tongue:

beastie

Guru
I worked out a mega-hard 112 mile (180 km) loop from Kirkby Stephen station that took both climbs in, then continued to take in the climbs of Yad Moss, The Stang, Reeth Moor and Birkdale Common. The plan was to take my bike up there on the first train of the day on the Settle-Carlisle line and make it back in time to catch the last train home. The trouble is, I've never been fit enough to tackle it, especially since there is only about 8.5 hours to do it in.

One day perhaps... :tongue:

you're a better man than me for even thinking about it:thumbsup:

jimboalee

These are 2 significant climbs round by my bit.

Great Dun Fell which is 9km @7.7% .

and then there is the climb to Hartside which is a lot easier but still a big effort (for me anyway)

from Renwick 7km @ 6.2%
from Melmerby 9km @ 4.7%

The climb from Melmerby is a very steady gradient with only one short stretch over 10%. It is easy to establish a nice tempo, from Renwick there is a steeper middle couple of km's until you join the main road and then it is a steady 5 % to the top.

Jimbo my best time this summer form melmerby to the top is 38 mins @ ave speed of 14.2 kph. I weigh 99.5 kg and my bike + accesories is about 10kg , can you tell me how much energy did I expend please? By the way the first time I went up Hartside I was 113kg and on a hybrid @ about 14kg. It hurt.

560 kCals. Did I say 600 kCals qualifies? I did!

Panoramix

Re. the B4391, the longest part of continuous climb, is 330m over just 6.26km. (1082ft of climb, in just 3.89 miles).

That's quite a bit steeper than Cragg Vale - 968ft over 5.5 miles.

There are plenty of these in Wales, I think that the OP needs to try a few Welsh audaxes!
cool.gif

Top Bottom