Long climbs, UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

When you become a better cyclist and decide to do something adventurous, like Whitehaven to Sunderland and back in a day, don't you dare come on this forum and ask about nutrition and how to calculate when and how much to eat and drink.

toroddf

I have not read everything here, so the theme may have changed over to grouse shooting with Tornado fighter planes for all I know. 

But just to put in the longest and steepest in Scotland I have been on:

Cairn O Mount from the west, also called Cairn Na Mount on page 1, is the steepest climb I have ever done. The two steepest hills on this climb felt like 90 degrees, but was probably around 20 degrees or there about. In baking sunshine, it was like a sauna. The middle section too was pretty heavy. It has some fantastic views from the top.

Cairn O Mount is best approached from the west; the village Fettercairn and the whisky distillery to be precise. There is a good coastal road going down from Stonehaven though to Montrose and I would highly recommend a combo of these two roads in one tour. Then back to Aberdeen or Stonehaven via Banchory.

Lecht Pass is also a totally vertical in two steep steps. Start point is Ballatar and the end point is Tomintoul, one of the finest Highland villages there is. This pass is also best combined with the mountain pass from Brown Bridge over to Grantown on Spey. 

The road up to Rest And Be Thankful from Arrochar towards Inverarey or the Gowal Peninsula is also a good climb. Very scenic over some miles. The best start is Glasgow and then 'doon the river to Dumbarton and up Loch Lomond to Arrochar and this hill. Return down Loch Fyne to Dunoon, ferry to Gourock and back to Glasgow. The climb is not too bad, but it is very scenic in the Arrochar Alps.  

The Cowal Peninsula is the climbers paradise with several severe climbs. Start point is Dunoon. 

Isle Of Arran too has some snacky climbs. To be precise; the String Road. 

dand_uk

http://cumbriancycli...k/ukclimbs.aspx

Just found this great link to answer my own question! I drove over the Kirkstone Pass not so long ago and thought at the time how I'd love to climb it by bike.

I rode up Kirkstone pass last month with two mates on our JOGLE! It was a fantastic climb, very hard, especially with panniers weighting 12kg. Had to stop twice before I got to the top, there is a 20% climb sign at the start and a 13% sign midway through, several blind summits.

Best bit is there is a sign at the bottom warning cars that the road is hazardous in winter conditions due to the inclines! oh and there's a pub at the top!

Descent heading south was one of the most memorable bits of the JOGLE, fantastic.

lukesdad

Don t pay any attention to Gradient signs in Wales. They make up job lots and stick em where they fancy ! :biggrin:

Well out of your way nut if you find yourself in West Yorkshire with a bike have a go at Long Lee out of Keighley and then back up the other side. The descent doesn't take too long. You can string a lot of harsh hills together around Haworth, Oxenhope and Stanbury. Not continuous but a lot of climbing work. I always like half of Hollins Hill and then a right turn to take in old Hollins Hill up to Guisley.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Don t pay any attention to Gradient signs in Wales. They make up job lots and stick em where they fancy ! :biggrin:

Round your way, they might as well put up a sign as you enter the area saying "Hills. F**k loads. The details don't matter too much..."

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I have fond memories of Horseshoe Pass near Llangollen. Well, maybe 'fond' isn't quite the word.
Llanberis Pass seemed to go on forever too...

lukesdad

2 long ones that come to mind are;

Cuckoo- 12.5 km 490m (only 40m descent) av. gradient 4%. 1st 3rd 2% 2nd 3rd 4% 3rd 3rd 6.2% with 4 ramps 15%+

Talybont- Nant-y Moch- 8.5 km 403m no descent or flat av. gradient 4.8% 8 ramps 10% +

Ridden both of these in races, they re both tough. Like both though.

Nozzer

The hill in question is the whitcombe's its parallel to birdlip, its a be atch!! Frocester hill is good as is the portway. I'm lucky, i live close to all these climbs

A bit off your patch but there are some great climbs around the 5 valleys area of Stroud, a couple of stonking hills that go on and on.

If your after a short sharp hit, there's a climb in Haresfield that hits 25%, I was grinding a granny gear to hit the top!!

There's a hill that has the Royal George pub at the top (want to say Birdlip hill but it's not?????) and it's a corker, as you climb you look back over Gloucester and the river Severn, amazing views. There's a nasty kick at the top which you'd enjoy.........and there's a nice pub at the top. We rode a loop that was about 5 miles which picked this hill up when training for our LEJOG trip, certainly did the job!!

If you're around that way a good 60 miler can pick up some big gradient, really enjoyable and very satisfying.

jarushby

2 long ones that come to mind are;

Cuckoo- 12.5 km 490m (only 40m descent) av. gradient 4%. 1st 3rd 2% 2nd 3rd 4% 3rd 3rd 6.2% with 4 ramps 15%+

Talybont- Nant-y Moch- 8.5 km 403m no descent or flat av. gradient 4.8% 8 ramps 10% +

Ridden both of these in races, they re both tough. Like both though.

Not sure if this is the same hill but have you ridden Machynlleth to Llanidloes passing through Dylife. Climbs 490m in ~8miles, with 90% of the climb coming in the last 4miles. Dont remember any descents during the climb. If there were any they were very shallow and short. :sad:

lukesdad

Not sure if this is the same hill but have you ridden Machynlleth to Llanidloes passing through Dylife. Climbs 490m in ~8miles, with 90% of the climb coming in the last 4miles. Dont remember any descents during the climb. If there were any they were very shallow and short. :sad:

I know that one too, Talybont is further south. I like it, as it climbs from the coast up through woods then, opens out with the rest of the climb before you. 90 degree turn and you can see the road traversing the mountain. Stunning.

Top Bottom