Long climbs, UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

The longest continuous uphill section of road is in Lancashire ( featured on another thread ).

Closer to Hendon is the M45 in Warwickshire at 4.8 miles from 85m to 150m of continuous uphill. You could try that.

jimboalee

The longest continuous uphill section of road is in Lancashire ( featured on another thread ).

Closer to Hendon is the M45 in Warwickshire at 4.8 miles from 85m to 150m of continuous uphill. You could try that.

Then again, if the big blue signs which say "M45" put you off, the A45 between Dunchurch and Daventry does more or less the same. 8 miles from 80 to 160m. High gear 20 minute painfest.

OP
OP
Ball

Ball

Then again, if the big blue signs which say "M45" put you off, the A45 between Dunchurch and Daventry does more or less the same. 8 miles from 80 to 160m. High gear 20 minute painfest.

Do you know which thread features the Lancashire road?

As for the M45...think I'll give that one a miss :biggrin:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Not like you to get your facts wrong Jimbo! It is in fact the climb up through Cragg Vale from Mytholmroyd, a couple of miles east of here and very firmly in West Yorkshire. 

Todmorden, 4 miles to the west of here, has alternated between Yorkshire and Lancashire with local boundary changes, but as far as I know, Cragg Vale has always been in Yorkshire. ;)

longest_hill.jpg

jimboalee

There is of course the downward travelator in Mohammed Latif & Sons. It's 5% and is a steady 5 mph.

That is in the West Midlands.

There's another at the Perry Barr One stop shopping centre in North Brum, but it is full of BMX kids.

Fiona N

Veteran
There are quite a few climbs around the lake District with 400m of climbing (i.e. altitude gain) because, although the pass isn't high (typically <1500 ft), they start from close to sea-level. Kirkstone (from Troutbeck or Windermere - only masochists climb 'the struggle' from Ambleside) and Shap (ht gain is added to by a few significant descents along the climb - but you do get a rest) are the two I use most frequently as they're close to home.

jimboalee

Not like you to get your facts wrong Jimbo! It is in fact the climb up through Cragg Vale from Mytholmroyd, a couple of miles east of here and very firmly in West Yorkshire.

Todmorden, 4 miles to the west of here, has alternated between Yorkshire and Lancashire with local boundary changes, but as far as I know, Cragg Vale has always been in Yorkshire. ;)

longest_hill.jpg

I'd like to contest this. The A47 from Gt. Yarmouth, past Acle to North Burlingham rises from 1m to 27m in 10 miles without a level or downhill.

beastie

Guru
I'd like to contest this. The A47 from Gt. Yarmouth, past Acle to North Burlingham rises from 1m to 27m in 10 miles without a level or downhill.

not according to bike hike. :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Anything 7/8km and above, and with a challenging average gradient of say 5% and above.
Well, Cragg Vale fails that definition as you can tell from the photo of the sign that I posted - it only averages 3.3% for 8.8 km. It still takes a significant effort to ride up it though, and that is my definition.

A more challenging climb which falls just short of your definition is the A6033 (Keighley Road) out of Hebden Bridge - it averages 5% for 6.6 km.

Top Bottom