Long distance - how old is too old?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
OK, so I would like to give you all an update.

The beautiful wheel is on hold because of Christmas, but it is still very much turning up, as are the new dynamo lights and all the other gorgeousness.

I had been racking up some good mileage for a few weeks and then a cold hit, it's had me off the bike for the best part of three weeks, which I am not pleased about as I was looking to bag 10,000km this year and it would all be good mileage for the impending LWL next year.

At the end of last month, I went out and did a 300km ride, on my own. That is the longest I have ever ridden and I had strong headwinds for a good portion of it. Its an amazing feeling for me to do that type of distance, I am still pleased now. I got up at 4:00am on a Sunday and got on the bike. I rode for 13h and 20m and did about 2500 metres of climbing that day. The last 70km became difficult - I was cold, tired and getting tunnel vision due to staring at the patch of light in front of me. I got lost, I found myself, my feet were numb for miles. I got cold, I got lonely, but I bloody well finished it up and arrived home delighted.

So, if I can sling another 100km onto that, LWL is in the bag. After that, something bigger - a 600km I reckon.

Thanks to all of you for contributing to this thread. In your own ways, all of you are inspirational.

Big love to you guys.

Well done @r04DiE
That's a great achievement. Especially doing that distance as a solo ride.

OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Well done on the solo 300 this late in the year. Mentally, knowing that you don't turn into a pumpkin after 300km is really useful on a 400.
It was close though ;)

I'm planning on doing the Kingston Wheelers 200 and maybe 300 as build up to LWL. I'll make a call on whether I'm actually going to turn up nearer the date. In the meantime I intend to increase the amount of climbing on my regular long rides (nothing much over 100 miles). And I'm fitting in an hour here and an hour there riding repeatedly up and down a nasty local hill when I can to try to keep my legs topped up.
Nice, I might do them as well - I'll let you know, need to check the diary.

Well done @r04DiE
That's a great achievement. Especially doing that distance as a solo ride.
Thanks, man! Solo definitely wasn't easy. :ohmy:

OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

Hello again, all.

Just to update, I now have a blog and I am thinking of doing an extremely silly ride over the Christmas period. Lights are the biggest problem, and I have a cold (yes, the same one), and I think I might have an ear infection. Link to the blog in my sig. You guys get a mention in post 3. Thank you all again for your support. Sorry, I am in a rush. xx

EDIT: Sorry, there is a problem with the link to the blog (thanks @Dogtrousers!) I am working on it.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I see one of the guys riding the North Cape 4000 this year is 70 years young.

Paul Ardill has applied for Indiepac again. I think Paul is 73.

chriscross1966

Über Member
Keep an open mind about the dyno taillight. The B&M IQ2 Luxos U and a rear light couldn’t be easier to fit. Run the cable behind the brake cable, seat stays or rack and no one will ever know. Hooks up with little spade + & - connectors and that literally is it. I have been runnIng that set up for 3+ years and I have only had to repair the Lego block that clips onto the hub (Shimano) this weekend. I really couldn’t be bothered with separate led lights. Less to worry about. Just pedal and go. I have the Toplight Line Plus but I really like the look of their new mini taillight which is only about £17.00.

The Schmidt hub and light set up on my Audax bike is slightly more fiddly.

I run that almost exact setup on my commuter brompton, Schmidt SON, Luxos iQ2 U and a Toplight Line Plus Brake. Brilliant road-use headlight (all you really need) and the ability to charge USB devices whilst running daytime lights... added bonus of the brake-light function if you slow down... It seems to have negligible drag even on my desperately unfit legs, so I just leave it on all the time. THe only annoying thing about it is the wince-inducing price, you can save a bit by using a Shimano dynamo (the real difference between the two hubs is mostly aesthetics, the Shimano is pretty ugly, the Schmidt would look good as an objet d'art)

OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

I had a flick through, good stuff. I'll return for a more thorough read later.

Re lights, I've not been very satisfied with my dynamo setup. The B&M light is back with the supplier for replacement as it had a fault. Also I find the light too feeble and flickery on slow ascents. On one of the hardest climbs I do I found it so distracting and disorienting I had to stop and walk. I also dont like having the light on the fork crown where I cant reach it to adjust it. I reverted to my trusty Hope 1 when I sent the light back. It will probably be permanent. But then, I have no plans to do multi day stuff where recharging my AA batteries would be a problem.

Maybe see you at LWL. Still not sure whether I'm up for it.
OK, @Dogtrousers - thank you for your review. Still not got mine yet but it is on the cards. I hope you make LWL. Keep me updated.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I also really enjoyed that read @r04DiE
I think packing too much is a mistake we have all made and as you realised a messenger bag was a bad idea. For long distance always let the bike take your gear. If it's too much for the bike then it's to much to take.

In regards to food stops I think it's always best to stick to your plan. If a place looks grubby, no matter. Go in and have a look. Some times appearances can be deceptive. It may save you faffing about looking for alternatives.

Well done on your effort though. Top work fella.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Thanks for sharing your blog @r04DiE

OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

I also really enjoyed that read @r04DiE
I think packing too much is a mistake we have all made and as you realised a messenger bag was a bad idea. For long distance always let the bike take your gear. If it's too much for the bike then it's to much to take.

In regards to food stops I think it's always best to stick to your plan. If a place looks grubby, no matter. Go in and have a look. Some times appearances can be deceptive. It may save you faffing about looking for alternatives.

Well done on your effort though. Top work fella.
Thank you @ianrauk! Yes, I mean I had already learned this so I don't know why I ended up overpacking, I blame the courier bag! I will take your advice on food stops, need to be a bit more organised in advance and a bit more resolute!

I am really pleased that you enjoyed the blog entry, thank you for taking the time to read it.

OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

OK, for those of you that have not subscribed to the blog, the next entry is out now. This is the write up for London-Wales-London, or what used to be known as The Severn Across. It was a bit disastrous but that might make for interesting reading. Its long, so bring a packed lunch.

Last edited:

SpuddyJones

OK, for those of you that have not subscribed to the blog, the next entry is out now. This is the write up for London-Wales-London, or what used to be known as The Severn Across. It was a bit disastrous but that might make for interesting reading. Its long, so bring a packed lunch.

Hi r04die,

I've just finished reading your blog start to finished and I must say, it's a fantastic read. I love your brutal honesty in your writing.

As for your goal of commuter to ultra distance racer - I am sure you will crack it. I have similar aspirations although I am yet to even crack a 100miler so I am a little further behind in "training" than you.

Hope to meet you on the road at some point.

Matt

OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

Ah, Matt - thank you so much for your very kind review!

Really is impossible for me to try to explain what that means to me. I put a lot of work into the blog and a positive review like yours really does give me a warm glow inside and the urge to keep it going. I haven't got any long rides planned at the moment as I am still recovering from injury that has been recurring, but really flared up after the latest ride. I'll be back though, I am sure of that - just keeping things short at the moment, commuting is all.

Do please feel free to add any comments you wish to the blog entries themselves, they'll be very gratefully received!

I love your confidence in me, it would be great if I can live up to your expectations and bag TCR one year. I do try to keep the blog honest as there are lots of blogs on long and ultradistance cycling, but most never mention things going wrong, injury, that sort of thing. I am very much just a normal human being, not some kind of super-cyclist and I like that to come across in the blog.

Good luck with your riding and I have every confidence that you will bag your 100 miler, do let everybody here know when you do that.

All the best,
Nick.

Top Bottom