Long distance - how old is too old?

Discussion in 'Time Trial, Long Distance and Endurance' started by r04DiE, 20 Mar 2017.

1. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

I am now in possession of a Thrunite charger which I got from a great seller here https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/ThruNite-C...sized-Compact-Protable-Charger-With/544179330

So far it has been great 'indoors' and I'll get to use it in anger recharging my GPS on 'Slaughtered in the Cotswolds' 200. Hopefully I have charge in my legs.

classic33 and r04DiE like this.
  2. OP
    OP
    r04DiE

r04DiE 300km a week through London on a road bike.

Hello, @Dogtrousers! It's your Alter-Ego here ;)

Excellent pool of information from you here and I have referred back to it many times since you posted it! Thank you for getting me started on this and for having somebody to cross reference what others have recommended.

Please also check out Chris White's excellent site for all things long distance. You might want to read what he has to say about lights and chargers.

Apologies for it taking so long to reply, life has just taken over recently. Anyway, here's where I have decided to go:

I spent many years, hobbling along on 2nd hand bikes that survived on a budget. The only treat money I spend is on the bike, and I took advantage of the Bike to Work scheme to buy myself something half decent, I use the bike to go to work most days. This means that it gets treated like any other vehicle; we all shell out who-knows-what for MOTs, servicing, new tyres, VED, fuel, insurance, blah, blah, blah... on our motor vehicles, so I treat the bike the same. If I need something, I get it. You can no doubt see where this is going! ;)

Bear in mind that I am still dreaming of the TCR one day, so this is all kind of in preparation for that too.

Hub:
    Yep, the Schmidt SON Deluxe seems to be the Rolls Royce of dynamos, they come with a 5 year warranty and 50,000km service intervals. Drag is reportedly low on these models and they also come in 24h, which means fewer spokes and less drag.

Wheel:
    So, I'm having the hub built into a 51mm carbon rim with aero spokes. This will cost over half what the bike cost me in the first place, but I can always transfer it to my next bike. I've read lots of places that the first thing to upgrade is your wheels. Also, I've always wanted a deep section carbon rim and just think of how sexy it will look - so that's fine, isn't it?

Lights:
    I think I'll go with the Lumotec IQ2 Luxos U front, the same as you are. I like the fact that I can charge my USB thingies with it as I my navigational skills leave a lot to be desired, and that is putting it mildly, believe me. Things like Garmins and smart phones CANNOT go flat on me, it just can't happen, okay? I hadn't even considered a rear light, but you've gone and found one, so I'll be buying that too, I think.

I will probably go with the same shop as you, too. Since you say they are a decent bunch and they look to me to be competitive price-wise. Also, I want somebody I can phone up and ask about mounting it, since I have disc brakes.

Being hurried off the PC now as somebody wants to use my up-to-date copy of Office, so I'll see you all soon. :smile:

velovoice likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    r04DiE

Hello, @Dogtrousers,

Excellent - many thanks for that.

I agree regarding the rear light, especially if its a PITA to fit. I was talking to a lady with a dynohub on the recent Richard Ellis Memorial 200 that I did, about her dynohub, and she reckoned most people just use LED rear lights as they are so cheap to run and so effective.

I'll get the light from Spa, but the wheel and dynohub will be coming from DCR Wheels (thanks, @ianrauk). I'll almost certainly be in touch with you to get some tips on installation! Think I will need to mount the light off the headset as I have disc brakes.

I hope you enjoy your new setup and I am really looking forward to a review after you have a few more miles and a bit more experience with the kit. LWL is getting nearer and nearer! How is your training going?
    Ha ha ha, this probably means that you are just realistic.

All the best ;)

4. Heltor Chasca

Keep an open mind about the dyno taillight. The B&M IQ2 Luxos U and a rear light couldn’t be easier to fit. Run the cable behind the brake cable, seat stays or rack and no one will ever know. Hooks up with little spade + & - connectors and that literally is it. I have been runnIng that set up for 3+ years and I have only had to repair the Lego block that clips onto the hub (Shimano) this weekend. I really couldn’t be bothered with separate led lights. Less to worry about. Just pedal and go. I have the Toplight Line Plus but I really like the look of their new mini taillight which is only about £17.00.

The Schmidt hub and light set up on my Audax bike is slightly more fiddly.

Last edited: 23 Oct 2017
  5. Heltor Chasca

Just an observation on charging your Garmin on the hoof from the Dyno hub. My Edge Touring would shut down as soon as I slowed down at a junction or climb. Rather charge your battery or phone on the hub and use a battery for your Garmin. This annoying problem is well known to Garmin.

Doesn’t happen with my Wahoo Elemnt.

r04DiE likes this.
  6. Aravis

Aravis Feeding Rough

Have you looked at this? It seems to have much of the character of LWL, but in a more manageable package:

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-505/

No doubt those who really know about Audax can offer an informed opinion!

Dogtrousers likes this.
  7. Aravis

Aravis Feeding Rough

Ah, OK. It seems my assessment that Oxford isn't much harder to get to than Gerrard's Cross is broadly accurate, but not as helpful as I thought.

8. OP
    OP
    r04DiE

Hang on, its a while away yet. If I am still game, believe me, so should you be. I hope you don't DNS.

Good points and I might just keep the idea of the rear light. Thanks.

9. OP
    OP
    r04DiE

OK, so I would like to give you all an update.

The beautiful wheel is on hold because of Christmas, but it is still very much turning up, as are the new dynamo lights and all the other gorgeousness.

I had been racking up some good mileage for a few weeks and then a cold hit, it's had me off the bike for the best part of three weeks, which I am not pleased about as I was looking to bag 10,000km this year and it would all be good mileage for the impending LWL next year.

At the end of last month, I went out and did a 300km ride, on my own. That is the longest I have ever ridden and I had strong headwinds for a good portion of it. Its an amazing feeling for me to do that type of distance, I am still pleased now. I got up at 4:00am on a Sunday and got on the bike. I rode for 13h and 20m and did about 2500 metres of climbing that day. The last 70km became difficult - I was cold, tired and getting tunnel vision due to staring at the patch of light in front of me. I got lost, I found myself, my feet were numb for miles. I got cold, I got lonely, but I bloody well finished it up and arrived home delighted.

So, if I can sling another 100km onto that, LWL is in the bag. After that, something bigger - a 600km I reckon.

Thanks to all of you for contributing to this thread. In your own ways, all of you are inspirational.

Big love to you guys.

10. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

Well done @r04DiE
    That's a great achievement. Especially doing that distance as a solo ride.

11. OP
    OP
    r04DiE

It was close though ;)

Nice, I might do them as well - I'll let you know, need to check the diary.

Thanks, man! Solo definitely wasn't easy. :ohmy:

Dogtrousers likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    r04DiE

Hello again, all.

Just to update, I now have a blog and I am thinking of doing an extremely silly ride over the Christmas period. Lights are the biggest problem, and I have a cold (yes, the same one), and I think I might have an ear infection. Link to the blog in my sig. You guys get a mention in post 3. Thank you all again for your support. Sorry, I am in a rush. xx

EDIT: Sorry, there is a problem with the link to the blog (thanks @Dogtrousers!) I am working on it.

Last edited: 23 Dec 2017
  13. I see one of the guys riding the North Cape 4000 this year is 70 years young.

Paul Ardill has applied for Indiepac again. I think Paul is 73.

r04DiE likes this.
  14. chriscross1966

chriscross1966 Senior Member

I run that almost exact setup on my commuter brompton, Schmidt SON, Luxos iQ2 U and a Toplight Line Plus Brake. Brilliant road-use headlight (all you really need) and the ability to charge USB devices whilst running daytime lights... added bonus of the brake-light function if you slow down... It seems to have negligible drag even on my desperately unfit legs, so I just leave it on all the time. THe only annoying thing about it is the wince-inducing price, you can save a bit by using a Shimano dynamo (the real difference between the two hubs is mostly aesthetics, the Shimano is pretty ugly, the Schmidt would look good as an objet d'art)

r04DiE likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    r04DiE

OK, @Dogtrousers - thank you for your review. Still not got mine yet but it is on the cards. I hope you make LWL. Keep me updated.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice