Long distance - how old is too old?

Discussion in 'Time Trial, Long Distance and Endurance' started by r04DiE, 20 Mar 2017.

1. OP
    OP
    r04DiE

r04DiE 300km a week through London on a road bike.

Hello all,

I took on the silly ride over Christmas but it didn't work out. Learned loads of stuff though and will take that forwards. If you have a spare weekend, you can read about it here!

Thanks ;)

2. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

I also really enjoyed that read @r04DiE
    I think packing too much is a mistake we have all made and as you realised a messenger bag was a bad idea. For long distance always let the bike take your gear. If it's too much for the bike then it's to much to take.

In regards to food stops I think it's always best to stick to your plan. If a place looks grubby, no matter. Go in and have a look. Some times appearances can be deceptive. It may save you faffing about looking for alternatives.

Well done on your effort though. Top work fella.

Dogtrousers likes this.
  3. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

Thanks for sharing your blog @r04DiE

4. OP
    OP
    r04DiE

OK, mate - sorry to hear that but you must do what's best. Glad you are enjoying the blog.

5. OP
    OP
    r04DiE

Thank you @ianrauk! Yes, I mean I had already learned this so I don't know why I ended up overpacking, I blame the courier bag! I will take your advice on food stops, need to be a bit more organised in advance and a bit more resolute!

I am really pleased that you enjoyed the blog entry, thank you for taking the time to read it.

6. OP
    OP
    r04DiE

You are very welcome - many thanks for taking the time to read it - I do go on a bit!!

Heltor Chasca likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    r04DiE

OK, for those of you that have not subscribed to the blog, the next entry is out now. This is the write up for London-Wales-London, or what used to be known as The Severn Across. It was a bit disastrous but that might make for interesting reading. Its long, so bring a packed lunch.

Last edited: 16 Jul 2018
    Pat "5mph" likes this.
  8. SpuddyJones

SpuddyJones Active Member

Hi r04die,

I've just finished reading your blog start to finished and I must say, it's a fantastic read. I love your brutal honesty in your writing.

As for your goal of commuter to ultra distance racer - I am sure you will crack it. I have similar aspirations although I am yet to even crack a 100miler so I am a little further behind in "training" than you.

Hope to meet you on the road at some point.

Matt

Dogtrousers and classic33 like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    r04DiE

Ah, Matt - thank you so much for your very kind review!

Really is impossible for me to try to explain what that means to me. I put a lot of work into the blog and a positive review like yours really does give me a warm glow inside and the urge to keep it going. I haven't got any long rides planned at the moment as I am still recovering from injury that has been recurring, but really flared up after the latest ride. I'll be back though, I am sure of that - just keeping things short at the moment, commuting is all.

Do please feel free to add any comments you wish to the blog entries themselves, they'll be very gratefully received!

I love your confidence in me, it would be great if I can live up to your expectations and bag TCR one year. I do try to keep the blog honest as there are lots of blogs on long and ultradistance cycling, but most never mention things going wrong, injury, that sort of thing. I am very much just a normal human being, not some kind of super-cyclist and I like that to come across in the blog.

Good luck with your riding and I have every confidence that you will bag your 100 miler, do let everybody here know when you do that.

All the best,
    Nick.

Dogtrousers and SpuddyJones like this.
  10. SpuddyJones

Thanks, will do. I've requested to follow you on Strava btw.

Also, would love to know more about the kit you have been using to date - bike, GPS, bags/storage etc. I am currently after a bike with more of an endurance geometry than my Ribble R872, so any real world feedback would be appreciated.

r04DiE likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    r04DiE

Hello Matt,

Just responded to your request, good to connect with you. Funnily enough, I have been planning to write up a kit list for some time, so I will be doing that soon for you, with a bit of a write up on each piece of kit that I use - I hope that will be helpful for you. I will probably include any bike fits I have had done (planning one soon), and what you can expect from those.

Thanks,
    Nick.

SpuddyJones likes this.
  12. SpuddyJones

Sorry to hijack Nick, but just wanted to say I cracked my 100 miler earlier this week. I wasn’t fast, but an average of 15.1mph and I felt good afterwords. I certainly think 200km is doable.

How’s your training going? Any long distance rides planned?

HLaB and ianrauk like this.
  13. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

Well done yourself that man.
    You say you wasnt fast...well I beg to differ. Thats a great average for a 100 miler.

SpuddyJones likes this.
  14. I don't know how many touring miles they are doing but I refer you to this thread :okay:

Last edited: 26 Aug 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice