Long distance - how old is too old?

Discussion in 'Time Trial, Long Distance and Endurance' started by r04DiE, 20 Mar 2017.

1. chriscross1966

chriscross1966 Well-Known Member

I run that almost exact setup on my commuter brompton, Schmidt SON, Luxos iQ2 U and a Toplight Line Plus Brake. Brilliant road-use headlight (all you really need) and the ability to charge USB devices whilst running daytime lights... added bonus of the brake-light function if you slow down... It seems to have negligible drag even on my desperately unfit legs, so I just leave it on all the time. THe only annoying thing about it is the wince-inducing price, you can save a bit by using a Shimano dynamo (the real difference between the two hubs is mostly aesthetics, the Shimano is pretty ugly, the Schmidt would look good as an objet d'art)

r04DiE likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    r04DiE

r04DiE 300km a week through London on a road bike.

OK, @Dogtrousers - thank you for your review. Still not got mine yet but it is on the cards. I hope you make LWL. Keep me updated.

3. OP
    OP
    r04DiE

Hello all,

I took on the silly ride over Christmas but it didn't work out. Learned loads of stuff though and will take that forwards. If you have a spare weekend, you can read about it here!

Thanks ;)

4. Enjoying your blogs.

I've decided against LWL. Various reasons. It's not for me.

5. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

I also really enjoyed that read @r04DiE
    I think packing too much is a mistake we have all made and as you realised a messenger bag was a bad idea. For long distance always let the bike take your gear. If it's too much for the bike then it's to much to take.

In regards to food stops I think it's always best to stick to your plan. If a place looks grubby, no matter. Go in and have a look. Some times appearances can be deceptive. It may save you faffing about looking for alternatives.

Well done on your effort though. Top work fella.

Dogtrousers likes this.
  6. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

Thanks for sharing your blog @r04DiE

7. OP
    OP
    r04DiE

OK, mate - sorry to hear that but you must do what's best. Glad you are enjoying the blog.

8. OP
    OP
    r04DiE

Thank you @ianrauk! Yes, I mean I had already learned this so I don't know why I ended up overpacking, I blame the courier bag! I will take your advice on food stops, need to be a bit more organised in advance and a bit more resolute!

I am really pleased that you enjoyed the blog entry, thank you for taking the time to read it.

9. OP
    OP
    r04DiE

You are very welcome - many thanks for taking the time to read it - I do go on a bit!!

Heltor Chasca likes this.
  10. I pictured myself riding, sleep deprived, down the A4 with 350k in my legs and asked "do you really want to do this?". The answer wasn't long coming! A man's gotta know his limitations.

On the plus side I get a bank holiday weekend back, and with it a significant refund of brownie points. Messing up a 3 day weekend with my silly cycling exploits wasn't a great idea, and I probably wouldn't have entered if I'd realised the Monday after was a holiday.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice