Long distance - how old is too old?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Me too.

I'm thinking that my cycling diet of two big rides a month, plus a few occasional bits and pieces may need to be upped a bit. It was enough for me to get round a flat 400 like the Saxons but LWL is definitely undulating.

In an ideal world I'd possibly be best off doing proper "training" in addition, with short sessions and hill reps, intervals and stuff like that, spreadsheets too. But I'd never stick to it.

As a start I intend to increase the hilliness of my rides.
You might be right.

I'm not sure what to do, not any hills to speak of on my commute and commuting is largely where I get the distance in. I usually do a couple of hundred km a week, but the past 3 weeks I have upped that to 354, 325 and, last week, 393km, as I managed to do a weekend ride, which is quite rare for me due to family commitments. I think I need to be a bit selfish and maybe take a few hours every weekend to get some time on the bike in.

Also, I can up the commuting from 3 to five days a week, I think. This will put my 200km weekly commute up to 350km, and maybe 100km at the weekend to get up to 550km. I will also chuck the odd 200km audax in, in place of the weekend ride. Think I'll do the Richard Ellis Memorial 200 in October since its recommended by the WLW people.

I'm just muddling through...

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Good luck with LWL guys.

Although I've dabbled, I remain curiously unbitten by the Audax bug. LWL does look like an attarctive event, but as my home is very close to the half-way point, I'd need to travel to London, ride home, ride back, then travel home again. It isn't going to happen.

Is there a missed opportunity here? LWL seems to be a highly popular event. This year, there was another 400km Audax starting from Chepstow on the same day, which could presumably take place on another date. Wouldn't it be fun, as well as logistically efficient, to hold a parallel WLW event running clockwise along the LWL course, using some or all of the same controls? I could see that being very attractive to folks from around Bristol and South Wales who might not consider LWL for the same reason as myself.

Perhaps I'll do what I thought of doing this year, and plot my own ride which includes the reverse LWL course from the Severn Bridge to Tewkesbury. If I wear my pink Castelli cap and luminous green tee-shirt you should be able to spot me - give me a shout and I'll be delighted to take some photographs.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I'm half bitten. Part of me sees Audaxing as a way to spoil a good ride with needless faffing with bits of paper and observational guessing games, enforced stops where you'd rather press on, not to mention the hassle of getting to and from the start. But on the other hand it's nice to change my usually solitary riding habits occasionally, meet a few people, and if there is food provided all the better. Having the structure of an event also keeps at bay thoughts of "Why the hell am I doing this? I'm bailing out at the next railway station!".
I fully concur with most of that. When I think about it, it's the logistics of getting to the start which is my main barrier; a few years ago we made the mature decision to go down to one car, so when I spot something I fancy on the Audax calendar, there's always going to be quite a lot of "negotiation" to enter into, and if it's more than a couple of months ahead I probably won't know if I can do it. Things should change in three or four years, by which time I'll be the right age to do Audaxes (note the attempt to stay on topic).

I will keep my eyes peeled. Depending on conditions I may ask you to turn round and perform some domestique duties.
OK, I'll make sure I don't plan a pretty outline for that day. Wouldn't want to spoil one of those. ;)

OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

OK,

To continue with gaining the first class advice I've had so far - I have another question.

Dynohubs - what are my options? I'd really like one that can take a brake disc, laced into an aero front wheel (aluminium should be fine), maybe something like a 50mm section. Does anybody have an idea of how much I am looking at here? If its too much then I will consider a less posh version!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
OK,

To continue with gaining the first class advice I've had so far - I have another question.

Dynohubs - what are my options? I'd really like one that can take a brake disc, laced into an aero front wheel (aluminium should be fine), maybe something like a 50mm section. Does anybody have an idea of how much I am looking at here? If its too much then I will consider a less posh version!

Contact David at DCR wheels. He'll give you options and costings and an all round bloody good service. www.dcrwheels.co.uk

OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

Contact David at DCR wheels. He'll give you options and costings and an all round bloody good service. www.dcrwheels.co.uk
Thank you, @ianrauk! Since posting that I have also received a quote from the legendary Chris White, author of the Ride Far site. I didn't think I was going to hear from him, but he got back to me with a few prices. I will check DCR out too. Thanks again.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
While I was looking at small chargers for topping up gps devices, I thought I would flag this up http://www.thrunite.com/thrunite-c2-3400-mah-compact-portable-charger/

Basically similar to the Anker 3250 that I was looking at, but you can access the battery. Therefore you can have multiple batteries if you need more juice over several days, or, like me, you have a flashlight that takes 18650 batteries which are about 2400mAh to 3400mAh d pending on the specific battery. My iPhone is 1570mAh and my Wahoo is 1750mAh

I am now in possession of a Thrunite charger which I got from a great seller here https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/ThruNite-C...sized-Compact-Protable-Charger-With/544179330

So far it has been great 'indoors' and I'll get to use it in anger recharging my GPS on 'Slaughtered in the Cotswolds' 200. Hopefully I have charge in my legs.

OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

Wow, @r04DiE seems to be my alter ego.

I'm in the process of researching the same thing. Here's my current research and thinking. Partly to give @r04DiE the benefit of my searches, and partly to give People Who Know the chance to point out that I'm an idiot.

Best in class dynohub seems to be SON. There are two main variants, the SON 28 and the SON Delux. The delux was designed for 20" wheels and has lower power output (actually a different power output curve). By all reports not so good if you want to run lights and charge things at the same time. But it does have (indetectably) lower resistance than the 28.

Alternatives are Shutter Precision (SP) and Shimano. Have to admit I haven't looked in to SP so much.

The appropriate Shimano model for road riding is the N80. THere's also an N30 but I read reports that it has significantly higher resistance, and just isn't as good.

Rightly or wrongly I discounted SP and other Shimano models so it's down to SON28 vs Shimano N80.

Resistance: I think that the SON has marginally (but by all reports indistinguishable to humans) lower resistance. And the resistance overall of a hub when riding has been described as "the square root of f-all". I still remain a bit concerned that a weeny bit of extra resistance over multiple 100s of km could be the straw that breaks the camel's back. But I suppose that could also equate to carrying an extra pork pie. It still preys on my mind a bit.

Servicing: SON seems to require servicing after 50,000 km. Which is, in my book, never. Shimano servicing consists of having the innards completely replaced. The dynamo is going to outlast the rim easily (if using rim brakes, that is).

Price: SON costs a heap more than Shimano.

They all come in disk brake versions, I think. Not sure, because that's not a requirement of mine.

On balance I've decided to go for Shimano N80 because the advantages of a SON seem marginal, and the price jump is big for not all that much. The SONs do look much nicer tho. Hmmm...

Lights. There's a big choice, and some have built in cache batteries or capacitors to give you stand lights. Other features include sensors that switch themselves on and off, and various other goodies. I've decided to push the boat out on the light and get one with built in USB charging facilities and lots of bells and whistles. This is the Busch and Muller Lumotec IQ2 Luxos U. At the rear there is again quite a wide choice.

Wiring. In the old days you attached a bottle dynamo to the seat stay and tightened a little grub screw that dug into the frame and everything used the frame for earth, and you had a single wire. These days I think you use two core wire. I'm still concerned that if I buy all this stuff the wiring project may have extra demons in it that I haven't foreseen and I end up having to buy more stuff, and my bike ends up looking like a half unravelled piece of knitting. I've looked at the Shimano N80 manuals and they seem to only show you how to connect up a front light, not rear.

USB charging: This subject seems massively complicated and confusing. It requires the purchase of a "thing" (e-Werk or Igaro D1 or other) that converts the dynamo output to an acceptable voltage for USB. I've not been able to make any sense out of it at all, and I fear that it may make the wiring even more of a rat's nest. That's why I've gone for a front light with this built in.

I'll be buying from Spa because I'm a regular customer and trust them and I don't have (and have no intention of acquiring) wheel building skills myself. My current thinking (not pulled the trigger yet) is:

I'll be sticking with 32H rims because that's what I have at the moment, and it doesn't seem to be at all broke. I've never had problems with spokes, despite being a 92kg porker.
Hello, @Dogtrousers! It's your Alter-Ego here ;)

Excellent pool of information from you here and I have referred back to it many times since you posted it! Thank you for getting me started on this and for having somebody to cross reference what others have recommended.

Please also check out Chris White's excellent site for all things long distance. You might want to read what he has to say about lights and chargers.

Apologies for it taking so long to reply, life has just taken over recently. Anyway, here's where I have decided to go:

I spent many years, hobbling along on 2nd hand bikes that survived on a budget. The only treat money I spend is on the bike, and I took advantage of the Bike to Work scheme to buy myself something half decent, I use the bike to go to work most days. This means that it gets treated like any other vehicle; we all shell out who-knows-what for MOTs, servicing, new tyres, VED, fuel, insurance, blah, blah, blah... on our motor vehicles, so I treat the bike the same. If I need something, I get it. You can no doubt see where this is going! ;)

Bear in mind that I am still dreaming of the TCR one day, so this is all kind of in preparation for that too.

Hub:
Yep, the Schmidt SON Deluxe seems to be the Rolls Royce of dynamos, they come with a 5 year warranty and 50,000km service intervals. Drag is reportedly low on these models and they also come in 24h, which means fewer spokes and less drag.

Wheel:
So, I'm having the hub built into a 51mm carbon rim with aero spokes. This will cost over half what the bike cost me in the first place, but I can always transfer it to my next bike. I've read lots of places that the first thing to upgrade is your wheels. Also, I've always wanted a deep section carbon rim and just think of how sexy it will look - so that's fine, isn't it?

Lights:
I think I'll go with the Lumotec IQ2 Luxos U front, the same as you are. I like the fact that I can charge my USB thingies with it as I my navigational skills leave a lot to be desired, and that is putting it mildly, believe me. Things like Garmins and smart phones CANNOT go flat on me, it just can't happen, okay? I hadn't even considered a rear light, but you've gone and found one, so I'll be buying that too, I think.

I will probably go with the same shop as you, too. Since you say they are a decent bunch and they look to me to be competitive price-wise. Also, I want somebody I can phone up and ask about mounting it, since I have disc brakes.

Being hurried off the PC now as somebody wants to use my up-to-date copy of Office, so I'll see you all soon. :smile:

OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

Hello, @Dogtrousers,

Excellent - many thanks for that.

I agree regarding the rear light, especially if its a PITA to fit. I was talking to a lady with a dynohub on the recent Richard Ellis Memorial 200 that I did, about her dynohub, and she reckoned most people just use LED rear lights as they are so cheap to run and so effective.

I'll get the light from Spa, but the wheel and dynohub will be coming from DCR Wheels (thanks, @ianrauk). I'll almost certainly be in touch with you to get some tips on installation! Think I will need to mount the light off the headset as I have disc brakes.

I hope you enjoy your new setup and I am really looking forward to a review after you have a few more miles and a bit more experience with the kit. LWL is getting nearer and nearer! How is your training going?
I don't have such exalted ambitions as you. TCR is most definitely nowhere near my bucket list, and never will be.
Ha ha ha, this probably means that you are just realistic.

All the best ;)

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Keep an open mind about the dyno taillight. The B&M IQ2 Luxos U and a rear light couldn’t be easier to fit. Run the cable behind the brake cable, seat stays or rack and no one will ever know. Hooks up with little spade + & - connectors and that literally is it. I have been runnIng that set up for 3+ years and I have only had to repair the Lego block that clips onto the hub (Shimano) this weekend. I really couldn’t be bothered with separate led lights. Less to worry about. Just pedal and go. I have the Toplight Line Plus but I really like the look of their new mini taillight which is only about £17.00.

The Schmidt hub and light set up on my Audax bike is slightly more fiddly.

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Just an observation on charging your Garmin on the hoof from the Dyno hub. My Edge Touring would shut down as soon as I slowed down at a junction or climb. Rather charge your battery or phone on the hub and use a battery for your Garmin. This annoying problem is well known to Garmin.

Doesn’t happen with my Wahoo Elemnt.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Ah, OK. It seems my assessment that Oxford isn't much harder to get to than Gerrard's Cross is broadly accurate, but not as helpful as I thought.

OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

As to LWL I'm not feeling very positive. I may DNS it again.
Hang on, its a while away yet. If I am still game, believe me, so should you be. I hope you don't DNS.

Keep an open mind about the dyno taillight. The B&M IQ2 Luxos U and a rear light couldn’t be easier to fit. Run the cable behind the brake cable, seat stays or rack and no one will ever know. Hooks up with little spade + & - connectors and that literally is it. I have been runnIng that set up for 3+ years and I have only had to repair the Lego block that clips onto the hub (Shimano) this weekend. I really couldn’t be bothered with separate led lights. Less to worry about. Just pedal and go. I have the Toplight Line Plus but I really like the look of their new mini taillight which is only about £17.00.

The Schmidt hub and light set up on my Audax bike is slightly more fiddly.
Good points and I might just keep the idea of the rear light. Thanks.

OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

OK, so I would like to give you all an update.

The beautiful wheel is on hold because of Christmas, but it is still very much turning up, as are the new dynamo lights and all the other gorgeousness.

I had been racking up some good mileage for a few weeks and then a cold hit, it's had me off the bike for the best part of three weeks, which I am not pleased about as I was looking to bag 10,000km this year and it would all be good mileage for the impending LWL next year.

At the end of last month, I went out and did a 300km ride, on my own. That is the longest I have ever ridden and I had strong headwinds for a good portion of it. Its an amazing feeling for me to do that type of distance, I am still pleased now. I got up at 4:00am on a Sunday and got on the bike. I rode for 13h and 20m and did about 2500 metres of climbing that day. The last 70km became difficult - I was cold, tired and getting tunnel vision due to staring at the patch of light in front of me. I got lost, I found myself, my feet were numb for miles. I got cold, I got lonely, but I bloody well finished it up and arrived home delighted.

So, if I can sling another 100km onto that, LWL is in the bag. After that, something bigger - a 600km I reckon.

Thanks to all of you for contributing to this thread. In your own ways, all of you are inspirational.

Big love to you guys.

Top Bottom