Long distance - how old is too old?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Personally speaking, I wouldn't rely too heavily on the Turbo, for training purposes, it's fine to use it for supplimentary training, but the majority of the training would be best done on actual roads. There's an effect called 'tissue jiggle' which isn't as much of an issue on shorter rides, but can be much more of a problem on distance rides, it's hard to replicate that on a turbo, and conditioning out the tissue jiggle, by riding on real roads, can be beneficial, more regarding recovery, than the actual ride. There are numerous other subtleties of road training as well, that you can't easily replicate on a turbo, that add up to bigger effects, the longer the ride becomes (unplanned / unforeseen variable wind / weather conditions/ variability of surfaces / unplanned stop starts / unplanned hill starts ) to name but a few.
Yep, that makes sense - I've always thought that road and turbo are completely different experiences.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The 'right' bike helps, it's no good thinking "Oh a steel frame" as I own a couple of steel bikes I wouldn't want to be on for more than a couple of hours however my Ridgeback just eats up distance rides.

OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

The 'right' bike helps, it's no good thinking "Oh a steel frame" as I own a couple of steel bikes I wouldn't want to be on for more than a couple of hours however my Ridgeback just eats up distance rides.
Well, I would like to do it on my new bike, the only new bike I've ever owned; a Giant Defy 1 Disc. I think it'll need plenty bags attached to it though!

OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

So the training must be "Can I stay on this bike for 10-12-14hrs" Before I start being uncomfortable
Understood!
I've just looked where Brindisi is :ohmy:
I know...
I have just visited family in Coventry and read about the latest exploit planned by local old ex-pro Mick Ives. He plans to ride the route of this year's Giro d'Italia in May - 21 days to do the 3,500 km. He is 77 years old! ::bravo:
Now, that's what I like to hear!

OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

Don't underestimate the good old Brooks saddle as well. A bit of a staple of the long distance riders kit, for a very good reason.
Yes, never had one but perhaps now it might be time to consider one.

shirokazan

Veteran
...I like your idea of LEJOG / JOGLE, but what I'd really like ultimately is to do something like the Calais-Brindisi, just to see the geography and to get me out of my comfort zone, what with language barriers and being alone, unsupported and fending for myself. That sais, I'd consider doing it with a partner, if I could find one whos pace I could match. I feel like I need a challenge, I really want to go on a proper adventure. Maybe I'll do the LEJOG / JOGLE first. ...

LEJOG / JOGLE is definitely a proper adventure and you'll also see this island's varied landscapes and geography. I'd certainly recommend it. If all goes well, you'll be even more fired-up to do Calais-Brindisi!

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Hello long distance-ers,

The older I get (I'm not that old), the more I want to do something long distance. I don't think I've ever had what it takes to do something like the TCR, but I have been thinking of something a little shorter, maybe the Calais - Brindisi.

I'm 47, I do about 200km a week by commuting 3 days. Is this all a pipe dream? You can be honest.

I realise that I'll have to put some kind of proper training plan in place and I'm fine with that.

Looking forward to hearing your views :smile:
You are never to old, At 47 still in the prime of life, At 65 i still do regular 100 mile rides, not kilometers, there for the kids, Am looking to do something like that myself as soon as the wife goes part time. Just do it.:laugh: It's no good looking back in ten years time and wishing you had.:okay:

OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

LEJOG / JOGLE is definitely a proper adventure and you'll also see this island's varied landscapes and geography. I'd certainly recommend it. If all goes well, you'll be even more fired-up to do Calais-Brindisi!
Yep, I think that's what I'm going to go with first, after doing some Audax stuff. I reckon its going to take a few years for me to get organised for something as crazy as Calais-Brindisi
There's a 74 year old doing the Indian Pacific Wheel Race - 5500 km across Australia. He's aiming for 28 days. Seems you're never too old for a long distance ride!

http://www.bicyclingaustralia.com.a...year-old-riding-the-indian-pacific-wheel-race
Great, and this guy's not only nearly 30 years older than I am, he's been riding for less than half of what I have :biggrin:
Amazing, and I love his story about the girl at the side of the road and the one about the TV licensing man :biggrin:
You are never to old, At 47 still in the prime of life, At 65 i still do regular 100 mile rides, not kilometers, there for the kids, Am looking to do something like that myself as soon as the wife goes part time. Just do it.:laugh: It's no good looking back in ten years time and wishing you had.:okay:
Couldn't agree with you more!

Top Bottom