Long distance - how old is too old?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
OK, so as I have said, I have joined Audax UK and they have a 200k on Saturday, which I may be able to do. If not there are a couple more in the not too distant future. I plan to record it all / navigate with my Garmin 810 Edge and I would like to buy a power bank for it.

Do any long-distancers on here have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
OK, so as I have said, I have joined Audax UK and they have a 200k on Saturday, which I may be able to do. If not there are a couple more in the not too distant future. I plan to record it all / navigate with my Garmin 810 Edge and I would like to buy a power bank for it.

Do any long-distancers on here have any suggestions?

Thanks.
A Garmin on an Audax :ohmy:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Whilst navigating by stars and finding water with a divining rod will win you some kudos on an audax the vast majority now use gps.

I dont know much about power packs as I use a garmin dakota which tuns on AA batteries.one set gives me about 100 kms.

I use rechargeable duracells in gps and lights.

OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

I chucked my Garmin in favour of a Wahoo, but your question is about batteries no?

I use a Power Monkey Explorer II but I've seen a lot of Ankers at Audax cntrols topping up their devices. Good luck for your ride.
OK, thank you for that. Just to confirm, can you 'run' the Garmin off of the power pack, rather than just charge it in 'charging mode'? I believe this depends on the lead.

Thanks.

Edit: And how do you like the Wahoo?

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
OK, thank you for that. Just to confirm, can you 'run' the Garmin off of the power pack, rather than just charge it in 'charging mode'? I believe this depends on the lead.

Thanks.

Reason no. 41 why I chucked my Garmin. Sometimes it did, sometimes it didn't and that wasn't good enough for me. I could never tell when it was going to play ball or not. Too unreliable on night rides or longer Audax rides. I limped along by topping up at controls in 'charge' mode, but then it could struggle to find the route again when I got back on the bike. And sometimes you haven't got much time in a control.

I also tried charging while I was navigating, but it would go into emergency shut down. It did this shut down thing when on my Dyno hub on my tourer when I was going slow up hill or through traffic. That I can understand, but I'll never know why it did this when attached to a powerful battery. So far my Wahoo hasn't shown any of the above unreliability.

And my route/cue sheets and maps never fail me, but you do need to know your distance with a little bike computer or phone at the very least.

OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

If you don't already have mudguards, fit them. If you do, fit bigger ones. Made of lead flashing.

Re power pack, any old one will do but ensure you also get an appropriate length micro USB cable.

Also test out how your Garmin behaves: Is there space to plug in the connector while it is mounted? Will it still navigate while charging? What happens when you unplug the charging cable? Does it warn you and then shut down? Does it just crash?* And if it has powered off can it resume navigating the course or does it point you in utterly random directions?* Or does it maybe decide that the previous course is now 0km long?* Does it allow you to continue with previous ride distance/stats or does it insist on resetting and starting again?*

I'd advise you to chop the route into manageable sections so if the Garmin goes bonkers you haven't lost navigation for the whole day.

* My Edge Touring does these.
Excellent advice re the Garmin and I will try all of those things. I remember the first time I used it and we didn't get along at all - they're funny things until you realise their wrinkles. Not sure about mudguards as i have never used them and not sure my bike has the lugs, (or whatever you need) for them - a Giant Defy 1 Disc.

Thanks for your help :smile:

OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

Reason no. 41 why I chucked my Garmin. Sometimes it did, sometimes it didn't and that wasn't good enough for me. I could never tell when it was going to play ball or not. Too unreliable on night rides or longer Audax rides. I limped along by topping up at controls in 'charge' mode, but then it could struggle to find the route again when I got back on the bike. And sometimes you haven't got much time in a control.

I also tried charging while I was navigating, but it would go into emergency shut down. It did this shut down thing when on my Dyno hub on my tourer when I was going slow up hill or through traffic. That I can understand, but I'll never know why it did this when attached to a powerful battery. So far my Wahoo hasn't shown any of the above unreliability.

And my route/cue sheets and maps never fail me, but you do need to know your distance with a little bike computer or phone at the very least.
OK, thanks. No time/money for me to swap over to a Wahoo, so I will go with a powerbank and the Garmin - we will see what happens!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Excellent advice re the Garmin and I will try all of those things. I remember the first time I used it and we didn't get along at all - they're funny things until you realise their wrinkles. Not sure about mudguards as i have never used them and not sure my bike has the lugs, (or whatever you need) for them - a Giant Defy 1 Disc.

Thanks for your help :smile:
No mudguards :ohmy: you'll be saying you haven't got a Carradice either next :rolleyes: :whistle:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
It seems to be fairly quick to charge small devices like my iPhone and Wahoo. It also charges from the mains, solar panel and dynamo fairly quickly. I'm sure there are proper specs on the Powertraveler page. I use this touring mainly. It weighs just under 300g and will charge things several times including my mini iPad. I found a Spanish eBay seller for only £40.

Recently I have been looking at the Anker 3500 and 5000 which are 'lipstick' chargers. They hold plenty enough to top up and see less than 150g and little so I am thinking about one for 200km+ Audax rides. Also £9-£15 only.

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
For 200k audax I use a Garmin Touring topped up with a small cheapo Amazon charger. £8 I think it was. One top up at a food control or such like is usually all that is needed to see the Garmin through the whole ride and more.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I use a Garmin Etrex, with replaceable AA batteries, just to follow the line. I tend to have a routesheet with me as well. I have a maptrap (google it) that I can mount to read a routesheet on the bars. An old brevet card bag is sufficient waterproofing.

People's expectations of routesheets have grown enormously over the years. Not that many years ago it was unheard of to mention distances, or have one instruction per line. Riders were expected to be prepared, having pored over maps to check the route beforehand.

Top Bottom