Long distance - how old is too old?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
On a slightly different tack (and still miles OT but that doesn't seem to be a major concern in this thread) the method I've used for mounting a portable charger when riding is as shown below:
DSCN1307b.JPG

DSCN1307a.JPG

The cable loops over the bar between the Garmin mount and the stem, then across to the charger on the bar end. When riding it causes no inconvenience whatsoever. When I tested the setup using the 520, I plugged in the charger (2600 PNY) about half way round a 100 miler, and at the end the 520 was fully charged.

I don't know what happens if it rains.

And one other diversion concerning the 520: in the LEL section on another cycling forum which some here will have heard of, someone posted a link to a map (s)he's created which covers the whole of the UK and fits on a 520. Left it lying around for any passer-by to pick up, which seems incredibly generous. I tested it on my last ride; it's not as nice to look at as the well-known OSM version, but it does work and provides an extremely practical solution.

On a slightly different tack (and still miles OT but that doesn't seem to be a major concern in this thread) the method I've used for mounting a portable charger when riding is as shown below:
View attachment 368351
View attachment 368352
The cable loops over the bar between the Garmin mount and the stem, then across to the charger on the bar end. When riding it causes no inconvenience whatsoever. When I tested the setup using the 520, I plugged in the charger (2600 PNY) about half way round a 100 miler, and at the end the 520 was fully charged.

I don't know what happens if it rains.

And one other diversion concerning the 520: in the LEL section on another cycling forum which some here will have heard of, someone posted a link to a map (s)he's created which covers the whole of the UK and fits on a 520. Left it lying around for any passer-by to pick up, which seems incredibly generous. I tested it on my last ride; it's not as nice to look at as the well-known OSM version, but it does work and provides an extremely practical solution.
Or, one of these http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...MI55qe283c1QIVzLDtCh1RJAQvEAQYAyABEgI3aPD_BwE located right behind the stem.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I tried one of those, but I found it gets in the way when mounting/dismounting. Realising that this sounds a bit implausible, I've just checked to see if it's really true (for me, not for anyone else) and it is.

Errmm.. yes... how so? They are small and at the front of the cross bar.

I am assuming endowedment beyond my wildest dreams.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Again, I had to check to see what's happening. For whatever reason, swinging a leg over the saddle isn't going to happen. What I do is to fully bend the knee and manoeuvre it over the crossbar with my foot above the saddle. I then put a foot in a pedal and lift myself into the saddle. There really isn't room for a bar-top bag.

I guess it's an age-related thing, so in the context of a "how old is too old" thread, it must have some relevance.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Again, I had to check to see what's happening. For whatever reason, swinging a leg over the saddle isn't going to happen. What I do is to fully bend the knee and manoeuvre it over the crossbar with my foot above the saddle. I then put a foot in a pedal and lift myself into the saddle. There really isn't room for a bar-top bag.

I guess it's an age-related thing, so in the context of a "how old is too old" thread, it must have some relevance.

I'm having a hard time picturing this lol

OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
OK, looking very probable that I will be entering this ride. My first 200k could be in the bag by the weekend :smile:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
While I was looking at small chargers for topping up gps devices, I thought I would flag this up http://www.thrunite.com/thrunite-c2-3400-mah-compact-portable-charger/

Basically similar to the Anker 3250 that I was looking at, but you can access the battery. Therefore you can have multiple batteries if you need more juice over several days, or, like me, you have a flashlight that takes 18650 batteries which are about 2400mAh to 3400mAh d pending on the specific battery. My iPhone is 1570mAh and my Wahoo is 1750mAh

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Anything related to getting set up for longer and longer distances is very welcome in this thread! Thanks :smile:

I took advice on a thread I started earlier in the year which I can't find so maybe it was on YACF. It was something like "Coach me onto a 200 and beyond"

For my 1st 200, The only thing extra I took was my battery and some extra food which was lucky because one of the controls ran out of grub. I have lights on my bike permanently in case I'm going to arrive after dark. And earlier or later in the season I might pack another layer. Maybe an extra tube? My caveat is that I'm not very experienced and consequently I overthink everything as a result.

Which 200 are you doing btw?

Top Bottom