Long drop calipers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Yikes..its beginning to occur to me that i need a set of long reach( around 57 /60mm), nut fit calipers for my re-build...i'm struggling to find any without paying serious money !!!
Existing setup were centrepull Weinmanns or Raleighs..didnt take too much notice.

Can allen key fits be adapted ?
Any sources (Tektro, Alhonga or others) known to you guys.
Plenty of allen key fits on the web...but not nut fits

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Sleeved Allen nuts have been the standard for years, I think your best bet for nut fitting calipers is either a cycle jumble or ebay.

Perhaps an ad in the wanted section of classifieds will find someone with an old set lying about. Or if you'll excuse me for an act of treason, the classified section of ACF might be a good bet as that forum has plenty of members into old tat classic bikes.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
You can adapt the forks to allen fit by drilling out the hole on the rear side of the fork crown to the same size as the allen nut.
To adapt the brakes themselves, you'd need a longer brake bolt. You can use a front bolt on the rear, but the front is more difficult unless you can get spares from a matching model of nut fit brake.

PS
Spa Cycles sell 57mm nut fit RX100 £45, or 57-75mm Alhongas for £21

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
andrew_s said:
You can adapt the forks to allen fit by drilling out the hole on the rear side of the fork crown to the same size as the allen nut.
To adapt the brakes themselves, you'd need a longer brake bolt. You can use a front bolt on the rear, but the front is more difficult unless you can get spares from a matching model of nut fit brake.

PS
Spa Cycles sell 57mm nut fit RX100 £45, or 57-75mm Alhongas for £21

Thanks guys...I'd seen the alhongas from Spa's but when i google it now, all it takes me to are pads...
Spa's at £21 are fine.....will be ordering soon.
Muchos obligardos :tongue:

Top Bottom