Long(ish) distance tour suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GlamorganGuy

I'm looking for suggestions for long-ish tours through the East of England - Suffolk, Cambs, Norfolk, Essex. Routes involving lengthy off-road sections especially welcome. Any recommendations for cheap accommodation along the way very gratefully received. Look forward to hearing from you!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The obvious off-road routes are the regional and national trails, which includes the Icknield Way and the Peddars Way near me. There's a map of Peddars Way with accommodation finder on https://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/en_GB/trails/peddars-way-and-norfolk-coast-path/trail-information/ and Ickneild Way Trust have a more basic website at http://www.icknieldwaytrail.org.uk/

You could start with the Ickneild Way and Peddars Way, then link the north end of Peddars Way all the way back around via Ness Point by the Norfolk Coast Cycleway (NCN1 / RR30) and Two Rivers Route (RR30) which are mostly tarmac but fairly pretty (apart from central Lowestoft!) and then return towards Cambridge by another route, maybe NCN13 and 51?

Edit to add: or you could return from Peddars Way along the North Sea Coast Route NCN1 and then see how much of the Fen Rivers Way is cycleable - I know parts are, but I've not checked the footpath/bridleway/byway split.

Last edited:
Any recommendations for cheap accommodation along the way very gratefully received. Look forward to hearing from you!
I can recommend a verge next to a Caister on sea dual carriageway for a year-round bivi.
If you fancy the luxury of a campsite I can recommend one near Cromer, though would of course depend when you are going.

OP
OP
GlamorganGuy

GlamorganGuy

The obvious off-road routes are the regional and national trails, which includes the Icknield Way and the Peddars Way near me. There's a map of Peddars Way with accommodation finder on https://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/en_GB/trails/peddars-way-and-norfolk-coast-path/trail-information/ and Ickneild Way Trust have a more basic website at http://www.icknieldwaytrail.org.uk/

You could start with the Ickneild Way and Peddars Way, then link the north end of Peddars Way all the way back around via Ness Point by the Norfolk Coast Cycleway (NCN1 / RR30) and Two Rivers Route (RR30) which are mostly tarmac but fairly pretty (apart from central Lowestoft!) and then return towards Cambridge by another route, maybe NCN13 and 51?

Edit to add: or you could return from Peddars Way along the North Sea Coast Route NCN1 and then see how much of the Fen Rivers Way is cycleable - I know parts are, but I've not checked the footpath/bridleway/byway split.
Thanks so much for this, it's really helpful. I've walked part of the Icknield Way (Linton to Gt Chesterford) but never tried cycling it. Will check out the other routes. Fantastic info, really appreciate it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Thanks so much for this, it's really helpful. I've walked part of the Icknield Way (Linton to Gt Chesterford) but never tried cycling it. Will check out the other routes. Fantastic info, really appreciate it.
No worries. Parts of IW and PW are not cycleable (legally*) so there are diversions on the maps. I think the IW ones may be signed too.

I checked the Fen Rivers Way because it's near me so I'd like to know. It's bridleway (=cycleable) from St Germans to Denver (except you have to use the opposite bank Stowbridge to Downham Market), then road to Ten Mile Bank and bridleway to Brandon Creek but then you can't legally continue because the bit paralleling the A10 is is footpath — but there are bridleways to Lakenheath Station (near Hockwold) from where the Hereward Way is cycleable to Peddars Way.

Also, the fire roads in Thetford Forest are generally cycleable, excepting the MoD areas (which tend to have big red signs and often fences). Connecting to the FRW at Denver, the Norfolk sections of the Hundred Foot Washes banks are bridleway, but they bizarrely change to footpaths into Cambridgeshire, so I'm not sure that helps much.

* As I expect you know, some footpaths can be cycled in practice and you'll rarely catch trouble for it unless you bully walkers or cause other damage, but legally it's trespass and you might encounter obstacles like stiles and kissing gates.

OP
OP
GlamorganGuy

GlamorganGuy

Thanks again, this all sounds great. I'm not averse to using roads so I think I could patch together a decent route to and from Cambridge. Exciting to know that all these possibilities are out there. Cheers for this, I need to get out there, got a lot of cycling to do!

Besides the Peddars Way and Marriots Way paths, most of the off roading in Norfolk and Suffolk is along small sections of bridle path. There are hundreds of miles of small country lanes thst are not on designated bike routes.

One fun route is the Five Ferries route along and across the Suffolk coast around Orford.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
GlamorganGuy

GlamorganGuy

Besides the Peddars Way and Marriots Way paths, most of the off roading in Norfolk and Suffolk is along small sections of bridle path. There are hundreds of miles of small country lanes thst are not on designated bike routes.

One fun route is the Five Ferries route along and across the Suffolk coast around Orford.
Thanks for this, really appreciated. I've heard a lot about the Orford Ness area but have never been there. Will try to find out more about the Five Ferries too.

OP
OP
GlamorganGuy

GlamorganGuy

UFO trail?! This is blowing my mind. Am googling that one as we speak.
I plan to take a tent but hostelling or (cheap) B&B is my preference, especially in the colder months.

The broads is problematic for through routes, lots of good dead ends. Reedham ferry is a useful crossing point.Salhouse and Ranworth broads are good for cycling.

On the N Norfolk coast only one good campsite on the sea side of the coast road: High Sand Creek near Wells.
Inland, the working windmill at Bircham has camping

On North Suffolk coast just S of Lowestoft, Covehithe is a hard to reach beach. I have camped wild on the clifftop.

Last edited:
Top Bottom