Long Ride to the Coast - Sat 28th May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was out riding yesterday too (believe me getting out again took some doing as I was shattered and my legs were rather sore) - 146 miles- but at my usual pace and very lucky with the wind direction this time.

You are truly nuts, Louise! :smile: Anyway, I don't think anyone would describe you as struggling on Saturday.

Following the allure of 'User10571's banana' there was interest in 'John's Jalopy' on Saturday! Unluckily, the photographer didn't see John in action, folding it up and tucking it under his arm.

waokti.jpg

The impressed photograper- John will be back in a trice.

30az3iw.jpg

Hopefully she noticed that, just along from there, by the station, is some lovely lettering, both on the shopfront and on the wall. :thumbsup:

24opsuq.jpg

35idlp4.jpg

as well as the fin du jour example of Winston Churchill's speech at The Memorial.

10hugk7.jpg

And a more rustic example of 'numbers' from the same location - effective nevertheless:

2yuj1qs.jpg

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
I will have to run this one again, as even on the recce ride 3 weeks ago, I was pushed for time, so wasn't able to hang around at the Memorial. If we'd got there earlier on the day, there was a Spitfire patrolling overhead, as part of the Battle of Britain commemorations.

I have got a slightly more direct route from 2 years ago, although that goes up Hollingbourne Hill (just past Maidstone) which is about 15% at its steepest. I think User10571 & Adrian said a few rude words after that one.

However, having just had another look, you'll be pleased to know I've found a way to avoid that, so that it works out at 85 miles overall, and misses out Shooters Hill as well. If we just have the one food stop, just past Maidstone, then that would give more time at the end.

Perhaps a weekend nearest 15th September, Battle of Britain day?

Oo - a dawn patrol! That could be fun.

(There's a 1940's weekend on in Chatham, which explains the Spitfire).

Before my time Adam - just :biggrin:

A right time waster this is turning out to be. At my old school, there is a stained glass commemorative window above the front entrance, which was put in place when one of the Old Boys flew a Supermarine Sb6 to win the Schneider Trophy... Boothman is the guy's name. After all these years and a trip to Dover, I have to delve and find out what I should have found out 45 years ago! :smile:

http://www.thedockyard.co.uk/Events/Salute_to_the_40s/Salute_to_the_40s.html

Looks a bit commercial. There is no time allocated for the flypast on the schedule - it will probably be early as any attendees will probably be asleep immediately after a spot of lunch. :smile:
This ride encompasses a massive military history along its way - I think I mentioned to Charlie that it would take a phenomenal amount of reading/investigating to piece together the story of The Thames along the route we rode... (that's why it's always handy to have User10571 close by! :smile: )

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Yeh - good on you Andy.

…watching a Garmin counter whizz up the mph is an amusing thing - we did the same! (I think this is really why Adam is in love with HS1 :rolleyes:).
+1 to Andy

The gricer in me is reminded that when the first passenger railway opened (Stockton-Darlington or Liverpool-Manchester?), the test speeds were about 29mph, and more learned people said at the time that trains couldn't safely go any faster than that because people would stuffocate at speeds any faster than 30.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I was just looking for a Spitfire flypast display here. There's happening (I think) in Chatham on that Saturday (17th). Maybe a night ride would be dinky? Loads of Tescitz and Asdahaus en route for relplenishment...
while you lot were having fun, we were watching a Spitfire with two accompanying helicopters off the coast of Deal. Immelman turns, stalls, dives, the lot.........I presume it was being filmed for some upcoming epic starring Kenneth More.

Top Bottom