Long Ride to the Coast - Sat 28th May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Windy, grey, more wind, no rain, hills, wind, more hills, and more hills, one mother of a hill at the end, more wind, great war memorial, good company, great ride
biggrin.gif

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Windy, grey, more wind, no rain, hills, wind, more hills, and more hills, one mother of a hill at the end, more wind, great war memorial, good company, great ride
biggrin.gif

And your mileage?

123.2 for me. (137mph + on the HS1 to St P) Clive mentioned "one mother of a hill" - he forgot the wind... "one mother of a hill with one mother of a wind". We loved our mothers on this ride, but the most used word was 'ba$tard'! :smile:
Barry's Mum might have something to say about it.

U

User10571

Just back indoors - well, ok I swapped bikes and went all spendy in Sainsbury's.

Thanks, Adam for taking the trouble to recce what is a very good route.

I think its fair to say there was a fair bit of graft in the draught going on today - especially on the eeeeeepp! descent into Folkestone.

Anyone heard from Abs & Martok?

Xspecial thanks to LouiseL for the loan of your Hope. That helped to take me from a dark place to a lighter one.

Cheers everyone else for your unfailingly good company.

J

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
The photos will have to wait until tomorrow!

I think we hit a record for the number of red light hold-ups trying to get out of London. Together with a late departure, and a struggle up Shooter's Hill where a slightly hung-over Matt joined us, meant we didn't get to Rochester until at least 11.30, so an hour behind schedule. John's recumbent parked outside Andy's Snacks got some intensive photo-graphical exposure from someone walking past - everyone's else's bikes was ignored (apart from User10571's banana holder).

Then one of my diversionary tactics, where we went past the REME tank museum, and then one of User10571's diversions along the A2 at Sittingbourne station. Despite the car drivers, I'll agree that it is easier than Eurolink Way. After cutting through the centre of Faversham, then it was the proper ups and downs, to the lunch stop near Selling. As Martin hinted above, the actor formerly known as Barry from Eastenders was allegedly propping up the bar. Although only 2 people seem to have seen him......

At this point, Abs & Andy decided to carry on at their own speed, so hopefully they got back OK.

The next bit is my favourite part of the ride, when we were running along Chartham Downs Road, with a glorious view across to the right, with the road swooping down in places, giving you just enough speed to get up the next incline without too much effort. Then there was a 10 mile stretch of back road heading south to Lyminge where you just had to follow the road, without worrying about turns. Perfect for a FNRttC! Then the real hills started, which in this part of the country, just can't be avoided. The worst part at Capel le Ferne is the rise over the A20 - if that wasn't there, it would have been flatter.

And then finally we got to see the sea. By now it was 6:15. Some of us had time for a good walk around the Battle of Britain Memorial - very emotive, whilst others were attending to Hary's puncture, the only one. In view of the time, I decided we'd bail out to Folkestone, so it was a very rapid descent down the hill to get to the station just in time for an HS1 back to St Pancras. The others had about ½ hour wait for the slow train.

Well done everyone for coming along, and sorry we missed you Ausra.

looking forward to seeing some pics and some Garmin data of those hills. Nice one for organising the ride Adam. I am now eating marshmallows:tongue:

U

User10571

Then there was a 10 mile stretch of back road heading south to Lyminge where you just had to follow the road, without worrying about turns. Perfect for a FNRttC!

Exactly that was going through my head as we rode it.....

Oh, & BTW Ta very much for the wholesomeness of Davy, Luke, Dangis & others who spread their chips and other comestibles, generously :smile:

Yes. A 'big up' for Adam. It wasn't your fault that the wind picked up, and spoilt the enjoyment of your inclinations.

"Oh, yes it was!"

"Oh no it wasn't!"

"Oh yes...

And User10571 popped to sainsburys for some wind-dried tomatoes etc :tongue: I had best 'ave a butchers at my small selection of photos. They might offer a barryometer of key events throughout the day.

Dangis

Got back home 30 min ago after nice quiet (compared to the typhoons which where picking us up earlier) ride from Bromley to Purley.
Great route, awesome company, honor to be part of this experience.

Folk may wonder why on earth why Barry keeps getting a mention. It's easily explained. He's a tasty cyclist ' No hill too big, no speed too fast." Yesterday, after reliving old times at some hostelry in London town on Friday night, Baz bowled up late and took the field by storm, racing along the flat and ramping up the power to make Capel le Ferne look like 'Couple of Inches'. Not bad for a p1$ artist.
I had to go digging in the Eastenders archive to find any reference to him but this is a grainy snap of our mate enjoying himself with some of the Queen Vic regulars. Glad you could make it Barry!

15hyaux.jpg

Matt - one of CycleChat's finest - looks experienced in the jersey.
30kr80y.jpg

Morning Matt! :hello:

Origamist

Legendary Member
I think I'm going to pop round and personally uninstall Photoshop from your computer, Mart... :biggrin:

Great ride and company; bit windy post-Sittingbourne; a few hills but nothing long and steep.

Apologies for the 17th time for being so late, next time go without me! When I turned up Des disappeared - I feared it was because we were wearing the same gilet (again).

Highlights: Chilham - a beautiful village with an olde worlde feel (after a bit of Wiki research I see Powell and Pressburger filmed parts of A Canterbury Tale there), the well- hidden Rose and Crown pub in Perry wood was a great find (ex-Eastender stars not withstanding), the Battle of Britain memorial was moving, and the high speed train to St Pancras was as impressive as Adam had led us to believe (even though a toddler took an unhealthy interest in my socks and I was obsessed with Mart's GPS speed display), Dangis's heavy breathing as he tackled Capel-le-Ferne was also memorable (I though he was on my wheel, but he was 30 metres behind and I could still hear him panting - nice to meet you!), some v large breakfasts in Andy's Cafe (and we managed to tame Medusa), and a weasel!

Lowlights: Davy's extra long "pit-stop" at Andy's Cafe.

Many thanks to Adam for organising and leading us so efficiently.

Top Bottom