long term cough, doctors can't find anything wrong

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've never had any sign whatsoever of a food allergy but I suspect the principal of 1 allergy triggering sensitivity to other (food) stuff is exactly the same.
I still get hay fever type symptoms out and about, but that is also well damped down so as not to be the nightmare it once was.

Each to their own, so ignore us and make sure its not a symptom of something like pneumonia, a partially collapsed lung etc which from my experience too, goes alongside breathing trouble.
Reminds me, check your temperature. Increased temperature was the main thing that, years ago, told my doctor I'd had likely gone down with pneumonia and a collapsed lung.
Thanks, I will check my temperature. I don't obviously have major chills or sweats but I sometimes feel that things aren't quite normal, like I have a slightly raised temperature. .

Had almost the identical issues for the last few years - I've also had the x-rays, camera, asthma tests etc and the conclusion was that I'm allergic to something in the atmosphere but they have no idea what. The hospital claimed that about 50% of all coughs referred to them cant be traced to anything specific.

The only time it went completely was when I spent 3 weeks in Cornwall in the fresh air, and when I spent 5 weeks in hospital with a broken back.

My cough seems to get a lot better in the winter and worse in the summer - I have a suspicion its all the pollution and dust in London, but as I need to work here there's nothing I can do about it.
I'm not alone then!

I'm not really sure whether mine is worse in winter or summer, coughing fits most mornings throughout generally. Pollution-wise I'm outside London, but not really in the countryside. I only really have 2 weeks away anywhere at a time so maybe not long enough to really see a difference.

Getting strong headaches alongside severe nasal congestion might also point to damp related conditions.
They were particularly bad for and likely linked to the headaches I used to get when each Salbutamol quick fix off after about 2 hours.

Wheezing alongside a headache maybe means oxygen depletion?
It was for me when young with asthma and I assume was the same with my severe nasal problems.

(headaches from coughing itself of course is something different, and for me feels a bit like a bruising headache)

I know what you mean about coughing headache, I do get that sometimes when things are bad. I'm not sure what counts as severe congestion, I can breathe through my nose a lot of the time, but I am continually swallowing mucus from the back of my nose and coughing as a result.

Red17

Veteran
I'm not alone then!

I'm not really sure whether mine is worse in winter or summer, coughing fits most mornings throughout generally. Pollution-wise I'm outside London, but not really in the countryside. I only really have 2 weeks away anywhere at a time so maybe not long enough to really see a difference.

Its a real pain at times but I've sort of got used to it by now. Another thing I've noticed that tends to set me coughing is being in air conditioned buildings - especially in the summer when they have the cooling on.

I tried some over the counter ones for a bit (can't remember which) but gave up as they didn't seem to be having a noticeable effect. The ENT doc also prescribed me Fexofenadine, but only a short course. Do you find they have an immediate effect, or is it worth trying them on a more long-term basis?

Top Bottom