Long term trauma to the vulva in female pro cyclists.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lozz360

Veteran
Hannah rides a trike and has celebral palsy. Does trike technique, which I understand involves more sitting, combined with less standing because of her physical limitations restricting ability to stand make a difference?
I'm guessing that her condition may mean Hannah has restricted movement in her lower back which would make her roll her hips forward, thereby putting all the contact pressure on the front of her groin. Cyclists, male or female, of road bikes, with reasonable flexibility, will have their hips more upright and still leaning forward to the bars. The weight then being on the sit bones.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Women do tend to drop the front of the pelvis down more easily because of its shape.

They also have a tendency towards a more extreme lordosis (dipping in with the lower back) which throws the weight forward onto the pubic bone.

Both of these may have contributed.

I'm astonished this poor woman put up with all this though.

Feared of being seen to make a nuisance of herself??
Plus having to mention unmentionables.
Talk about suffering for your art :sad:

Slightly unrelated but I have noticed that many road racing cyclists do the reverse of this and ride with very curved over spines, surely constricting their chests.

Which to me suggests their lungs are being restricted.

In yoga we are nearly always lengthening and opening the front edge of the spine to facilitate opening the chest, and thereby improving lung function.

Another thread for another time perhaps.

But undercarriage issues definitely need addressing, no one should have to put up with this, better saddles to suit all sizes, and shapes, and riding styles please.

And being allowed to talk about it, without any sniggering from the back row :bicycle:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
That could be down to saddle adjustment (too high?). Worth watching her ride, and seeing if she is riding with toes pointing down, or hips rocking, if so then the saddle is probably too high.
Could also be that the saddle is too T shaped and not V shaped enough, so makes the thigh/bum joint fold oddly and form sores. I had that once.

I wish retailers or reviewers would measure saddles comprehensively, including the shape of the leg indents and the front-back and side-side contours, instead of leaving us to guess from often-inaccurate manufacturer-stated widths and lengths and try to findthem in stock somewhere to look at or do loads of returns.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Could also be that the saddle is too T shaped and not V shaped enough, so makes the thigh/bum joint fold oddly and form sores. I had that once.
When the Charge Ladle comes I'll put the three saddles (Charge Ladle, Selle Italia Donna, GT saddle-which-came-with-the-bike) side-by-side and will look from the top to see the predominant shape.

The kids and I love it when my wife comes riding with us, so I want her to be comfortable (as I'm sure she does too!) so she comes riding with us more often. Thanks for your help! :notworthy:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I’ve received an email from Winstanley’s:
Hi,

Thanks again for your order!

We don’t currently have stock of the Charge Ladle Womens Saddle - Black, so we have placed an order with our supplier. We expect to receive the product(s) around 13/06/2019.

We’ll let you know once the order is ready to dispatch or collect and will include a tracking number if there is one.

We appreciate your patience and we’ll be working at full speed to get the order as soon as possible.

Best Wishes,

Winstanleys Bikes

So we have to wait a few months now. :sad:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Kasja Tylen swears by the Infinity Saddle. It is is hard for professional women racers as they hold aggressively aerodynamic positions on the bike for so long. No wonder her vulva got pummelled.

Well, there's nothing worse than mashed / numb lady bits. Been there, done that... Trouble, everyone's bottom (and body shape) is different, which I think is what makes saddles (and saddle recommendations) such a minefield.

The saddle that came with my Wiggins road bike was too narrow, so rather than sitting on it, I was sitting over it, which, while fine for short distances, became increasingly painful the further I rode. And then after a while, everything goes numb, because I was putting my weight on the soft tissues rather than on my sit bones. It's not very nice, it really isn't... Though I'll 'fess up that I ride junior bikes, and I guess the standard saddle on those isn't intended to match the anatomy of an adult female.

Did a DIY arseometer test (cardboard wrapped in tin foil) and went in the direction of a Charge Ladle, which works for me. More than two years down the line and I haven't found anything better.

Bought a bike at the weekend, and that was fitted with an Selle SMP trk saddle. It's the most painful thing I've ever sat on. Damn thing was pinching me on the inside of my thighs - totally different to the problem with the Wiggins saddle. Comparing the Selle SMP trk to the Charge Ladle, you can see it's got a totally different profile, even though it's more or less the same width at the back.

Oddly enough, the lady I bought the bike from said that the Charge Ladle was the worst saddle she'd ever tried...

So ordered another Charge Ladle for this bike. Incidentally, I find that tilting the saddle nose down a touch helps with the lady bits. The trick is finding that sweet spot between being comfortable in that part of your anatomy and sliding forwards off the saddle.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
So the Charge Ladle arrived today and I've installed it on my wife's bike. Hopefully, we'll get a ride in today so she can test it out.

I took a photo for comparison of the Ladle and the other two saddles (Selle Italia Donna and the GT came-with-the-bike). You can see the shapes/contours and differences quite clearly. Fingers crossed.

0ZqqbMPAQU6lm73CM4zvFQ.jpg

Apologies for the dirty cardboard - just need something to help with contrast and grabbed the nearest bit of cardboard I could see.

Top Bottom