Long term trauma to the vulva in female pro cyclists.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
YES!
The Charge Ladle saddle is an absolute winner! With the other saddles my wife has had pain from the very first pedal stroke. Today, nothing. No pain, no issues. A great ride with the kids over 12 miles, mostly off-road on single track with some paved sections. It was great to see my wife smiling all the way around the route and having a great time.

Big thanks to @Reynard and @mjr for your advice and help! You've helped make my wife very happy when out on the bike.

Now I just need to persuade her to ride more... :okay:
Surely ?
tenor.gif

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Thread resurrection but any tips on how to treat a saddle sore once you have one? Without wanting to be too graphic, I have a doozie of a painful lump at the moment right on the tendon where leg meets undercarriage. Skin is not broken and there is no sign of infection but gawd, it hurts - I'm not riding anywhere this weekend!
Disgusting mental image alert!! Stop reading if you're squeamish.

In almost 9 years of riding everywhere, I got this once, only the once.
I think it had something to do with clothing, because the saddle and bikes I was using had not changed in years.
I solved the problem by sterilizing a needle from the sawing box (heat up till red on the gas burner), then I burst the sore.
Post care was washing after every toilet visit, dry with a clean towel, then a liberal dousing of sudocreme.
I did this before I was due two days off, on the third day I was commuting again with no problems.
The sore, as I said, never came back.
After that episode, I make sure that I don't wax too near that area, just in case it was an ingrown hair, not a saddle sore.

I had one last year due to maladjusted clothing - the only one I've ever had. What I should have done was stopped and rearranged things down below, but I didn't, and well, mea culpa. :cry: Bloomin' painful, and I had to go commando for a few days. All I did was keep the area clean and dry and it healed fairly quickly. FWIW, I don't go anywhere near there with a razor. :blush:

OK, I've since switched to wearing seam-free running underwear just in case.

Julia9054

Guru
Disgusting mental image alert!! Stop reading if you're squeamish.

In almost 9 years of riding everywhere, I got this once, only the once.
I think it had something to do with clothing, because the saddle and bikes I was using had not changed in years.
I solved the problem by sterilizing a needle from the sawing box (heat up till red on the gas burner), then I burst the sore.
Post care was washing after every toilet visit, dry with a clean towel, then a liberal dousing of sudocreme.
I did this before I was due two days off, on the third day I was commuting again with no problems.
The sore, as I said, never came back.
After that episode, I make sure that I don't wax too near that area, just in case it was an ingrown hair, not a saddle sore.
Yeah - going to keep going with the baths and sudocrem for a bit before I resort to that!
I just played a concert commando tonight! :laugh:

Something that can contribute to sores developing in this area is loo roll.
I don't know how to put this but little bits that get left behind roll up and stick in moist places. The friction caused when cycling causes irritation and then sores.
Try moist wipes but don't flush them as they are the worst things for blocking drains.

vickster

Legendary Member
Something that can contribute to sores developing in this area is loo roll.
I don't know how to put this but little bits that get left behind roll up and stick in moist places. The friction caused when cycling causes irritation and then sores.
Try moist wipes but don't flush them as they are the worst things for blocking drains.
Not great for the environment though as they take an age and a half to degrade (if ever). 100 years or more indeed

If at home, a damp flannel and warm water will do the same (just wash regularly)

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Yeah - going to keep going with the baths and sudocrem for a bit before I resort to that!
I just played a concert commando tonight! :laugh:

Are you adding salt to the warm water? ?

That can help too.

Maybe a drop or two of tea tree essential oil, as well.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Hmmmm- salted chamomile. The new hipster version of salted caramel. I'll be delicious and on trend!

I've just had a salted caramel ice cream.
And then jumped in the sea..

Which did wonders for my scrambly rock scratches* from recent holiibobs.

*They weren't quite located undercarriage-wise.. But I think the healing principle still stands.

And it can't do too much harm..

Top Bottom