Long trousers for touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazytyke

Guru
A recent health scare, has prompted me to think about moving to long trousers rather than shorts for touring. I tend to wear Ronhill tracksters in the winter (trendy !) but would love to find some comfortable trousers for summer cycling. Lightweight and fairly breathable would be nice, as would not to baggy especially around the ankles. Just wondering what other people use recommend ? They don’t need to be waterproof

Craghopper Kiwis.
Comfortable (padded shorts worn beneath), lightweight, pack up small, dry quickly, look good off the bike.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I detest kiwis. Too clingy.

I mostly go for M+S chinos with stretch, or ultralights, but I do have a pair of Rohan Bags. All ride well with cycle clips worn.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I have a pair of M&S cycling chinos. Don't know if they still do them but comfortable, have concealed press studs in the hem so you can tighten the legs up for cycling, and even have a reflective flap in side the rerar pocket that you can pop out when cycling.
The closest now seems to be their Activewear chinos with stretch and Stormwear, which don't have the reflective trim, studs or bulky padding over seams. They've a similar cut with room for actual thighs, unlike many similar trousers.

OP
OP
lazytyke

lazytyke

Guru
Thanks for the suggestions - I'll take a look at both, when it's possible. I do have a pair of Craghoppers here, but don't think they are kiwis, they have detachable lowers legs, but are way to flappy for my liking on a bike.

Baldy

Über Member
I have a pair of Endura's https://www.evanscycles.com/endura-hummvee-ii-trouser-EV305954 quite comfortable and come with built in padded knickers. Their softshell so shower proof and not so outlandish that you couldn't wear them out.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Have a look at some of Decathlon's walking pants. Might be no use, but I had to try them on (can't do at the moment), as they are made for skinny legged walkers, not big thigh cyclists, so had to find some that would fit comfortably.

I thought Ronhill tracksters were pretty thin as it is ?

OP
OP
lazytyke

lazytyke

Guru
Have a look at some of Decathlon's walking pants. Might be no use, but I had to try them on (can't do at the moment), as they are made for skinny legged walkers, not big thigh cyclists, so had to find some that would fit comfortably.

I thought Ronhill tracksters were pretty thin as it is ?
They aren't too bad. I think I just run hot lol - I find tracksters will see me through all but the very coldest days of winter, was looking for something really light

OP
OP
lazytyke

lazytyke

Guru
I have some decathlon pants, which I take camping. I think the fit is best described as very snug ! Would definetely need to find something a bit more airy for cycling during the day.

Kiwis are voluminous, flappy and heavy duty. The Go Outdoors own brand equivalent are lighter, slimmer cut and reasonably durable for the price.
Rohan are good if price is less of an issue..
On my long tour Northwards I used Ronhills and Rohan Bags.

Top Bottom