Long trousers for touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

F70100

Who, me ?
Thanks for the suggestions - I'll take a look at both, when it's possible. I do have a pair of Craghoppers here, but don't think they are kiwis, they have detachable lowers legs, but are way to flappy for my liking on a bike.

There's different varieties of Kiwis. The standard ones are indeed a bit flappy. The Kiwi Pro Stretch trousers are closer fitting. There's even an (alleged) waterproof version of these.

OP
OP
lazytyke

lazytyke

Guru
There's different varieties of Kiwis. The standard ones are indeed a bit flappy. The Kiwi Pro Stretch trousers are closer fitting. There's even an (alleged) waterproof version of these.
I'll take a look at them as and when lockdown is lifted, although by then I'll probably be needing winter trousers !

RoMeR

Über Member
A recent health scare, has prompted me to think about moving to long trousers rather than shorts for touring. I tend to wear Ronhill tracksters in the winter (trendy !) but would love to find some comfortable trousers for summer cycling. Lightweight and fairly breathable would be nice, as would not to baggy especially around the ankles. Just wondering what other people use recommend ? They don’t need to be waterproof
Montane Terra's are light, quick drying and have short zips on the thighs to cool the legs, there's a fine mesh beneath. I find this works well in summer. Only drawback is the price, around £80. I have 3 pairs, so you can see that I rate them highly.

freiston

Veteran
I don't wear shorts. I do like my Tudor Sports York tights even in the summer - they are a roubaix fleece type material but I don't find them too hot for most summer cycling (I'm UK only). I also have a pair of Endura Firefly long trousers (which I'm not sure are still available) which have adjustable velcro straps at the ankles (but I did stitch them to make them less adjustable in order to keep them out of the chainwheel). I also have a pair of Endura hummvee long trousers (which didn't come with the padded undershorts as mentioned above) which I like. Off the bike, I used to be a big fan of Craghopper Kiwis but I found that the quality became so inconsistent that I stopped buying Craghopper. I had badly finished zip plackets (pockets and flies) and stitched seams where there was not enough material to hold the seam together.

robjh

Legendary Member
I've got a couple of pairs of walking trousers from Trespass - probably this model - picked up in one of their not infrequent sales and good value compared with similar makes. I wear them a lot for colder-weather utility cycling, and have at times worn them for whole days on autumn tours, with padded shorts underneath. They're also light enough to fold up in a pannier for evening use in a hostel while my proper cycle shorts are drying on a radiator.

Top Bottom