Longer Rides and Re-fuelling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big Nick

I read in some cycling book that had a section on nutrition that for rides of less than 3 hours at a moderate intensity for your respective fitness level you shouldn't need any food only fluids?

Gonna try this next time I'm on a longer ride

vickster

Legendary Member
If you are vomiting from food, then it does sound like you should see a doctor. I've probably not been sick in 10 years, if I started being sick, I would certainly see a doctor

yello

sazzaa said:
managed a couple of Soreen mini-loaves and a couple of breakfast biscuits.

Tbh and imho, that sounds a lot. I wouldn't eat anything on a 50km ride and I'm around your pace. That said, it wouldn't be on empty and I'd have had breakfast/lunch before the ride.

If you've always had problems with breakfast (and I'd see a doc about that) then can you ride later in the day? Or you could try riding a lesser distance , or at a lesser intensity, on empty. As long as you have something to drink you ought be fine,

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

It's only in the first couple of hours of being awake that I struggle with food, I'm fine the rest of the day and eat loads. But also, the best time for me to go cycling is in the morning, so I need to be able to fuel it somehow. If those tablets mentioned might help then I'll see about hitting up my doctor for a prescription.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
There is a risk associated with putting up with it. Repeated reflux can cause changes in the wall of the osephegas which can then go on to become cancerous.
I'd send a like on that but its not a likeable comment < very true though, reflux can be a warning sign as well but could be just getting "wound up" a bit like air travel when people are sick before the aircraft has even moved

uclown2002

Guru
I read in some cycling book that had a section on nutrition that for rides of less than 3 hours at a moderate intensity for your respective fitness level you shouldn't need any food only fluids?

Gonna try this next time I'm on a longer ride
Go for it. I do it all the time, with no drop in speed.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Try not to gulp down air with your drink. Fill your mouth then get the air out before swallowing.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I wouldn't be going to the doctor for pills because you don't like eating early and feel like puking exercising with food in your belly . That's normal .
I cant eat early and did a nice ride today on an empty stomach . I had a banana at the top of box hill while I waited for my mates to catch up and then dished out the rest of my snacks ( nature valley crunchy's ) on the way back . I ate half of one for the sake of it .
My ride was about 40 miles at quite an easy pace but not too shabby . Just do what you feel is right and keep some money on you incase you get it wrong .

RebornBumbler

Personally I eat (large bowl of muesli, then a coffee) two hours before a ride - one hour wouldn't be comfortable...

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
It's only in the first couple of hours of being awake that I struggle with food, I'm fine the rest of the day and eat loads. But also, the best time for me to go cycling is in the morning, so I need to be able to fuel it somehow. If those tablets mentioned might help then I'll see about hitting up my doctor for a prescription.
I'm much the same, used to be a Tea and Roll-up for brekkie and straight out ... alas those days are long gone ....

My current strategy is to get-up in plenty of time - about an hour and a half before I need to set-off. Immediately have something to eat, whatever I fancy and take my beta-blockers etc. Then I have plenty of time to calmly shoot shave and shower, get kitted and gently leave the house. Funnily enough I find tea tends to slop around in my guts for quite a while in a way that a morning espresso doesn't. Start slowly and as Marmion says, once you've settled-down eat what you fancy.
I'd avoid gels. Though Dextrosols are cheap easily digestible and don't seem to have the same gut-rot effect as gels.
I'd eat well the night before, something carby, even cornflakes before beddy-byes.

As any fule cyclist kno, an espresso and Pain au Chocolate/Pain au Raisin is de-rigeur for the kewl roadies Sunday rouler :thumbsup:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Vomiting if you're exercising hard after food isn't unusual. You might be better off eating well the night before - carbohydrates, perhaps pasta - and going easy on the food immediately before. For 50k you should be okay with just drink.

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

I'm much the same, used to be a Tea and Roll-up for brekkie and straight out ... alas those days are long gone ....

My current strategy is to get-up in plenty of time - about an hour and a half before I need to set-off. Immediately have something to eat, whatever I fancy and take my beta-blockers etc. Then I have plenty of time to calmly **** shave and shower, get kitted and gently leave the house. Funnily enough I find tea tends to slop around in my guts for quite a while in a way that a morning espresso doesn't. Start slowly and as Marmion says, once you've settled-down eat what you fancy.
I'd avoid gels. Though Dextrosols are cheap easily digestible and don't seem to have the same gut-rot effect as gels.
I'd eat well the night before, something carby, even cornflakes before beddy-byes.

As any fule cyclist kno, an espresso and Pain au Chocolate/Pain au Raisin is de-rigeur for the kewl roadies Sunday rouler :thumbsup:

Didn't even think of Dextro's! Espresso in the morning is a given... ^_^

alans

black belt lounge lizard
For a ride upto 100km I have porridge 2 hours before the "off".This gets me to halfway when I need black coffee & cake.
For greater distances this will change.

This is the result of much experimentation & several gastronomic mistakes.You may find yourself doing something similar.I hope you find a regime that suits you sooner than later.

Whatever you do, avoid the "bonk".

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman

I don't normally eat in the morning either - too many years working unsociable hours in catering, you end up basically having your first meal of the day after 2pm.
I wouldn't eat before a 50km ride, just have my morning coffee, maybe a banana, flapjack or similar half way. That and water seems to suffice.
The only time I would make an effort to eat a breakfast of porridge before setting out would be if the ride is in company of faster folks than me.
Cycling faster than my comfort zone needs extra fuel, still, eating so early makes me queasy.
You seem a lot fitter than me, @sazzaa, maybe you just don't need early morning food, maybe forcing yourself to eat is what makes you sick.

Top Bottom