Longer Rides and Re-fuelling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sazzaa

I really can't seem to get the food/drink balance right. Did my first 50k today, tried to eat a bowl of cereal an hour beforehand but it came up again before I left the house. (I have never been good at eating in the mornings) When I was out cycling, I stopped three or four times for fluids, and managed a couple of Soreen mini-loaves and a couple of breakfast biscuits. Even fluids are a struggle as I get back on the bike and they want to come back up again, so it's all small bits here and there. Needless to say, I run out of steam after about 30k and the last 20k was a struggle when I feel like it really shouldn't be. Any tips? Should I try stopping at a cafe and having a proper meal halfway? Would eating loads the night before be a good idea? Does anyone else struggle to eat or drink on rides?

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

Also, I realise that 50k won't be classed as a "longer ride" for some, but for me it is!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
for longer rides (30-50 miles), I always make sure i have a sandwich or two and a couple of bags of crisps, and a couple of litres of water with me. ... unless I've got my eye on a rural pub where I'll have a pub lunch... then it's just the water and crisps. It's not what I'd call a struggle... i drink when thirsty and eat when hungry.

I find I cannot eat much (if anything) before an early start, sometimes a pain au chocolate or similar pastry stuff works but I need to feel in the mood for it - I usually set off having eaten nothing and then eat a pain au chocolate or similar (or 2) fairly early on. This seems to work for me just now. I then just rely on drinks (and gels if at a fast pace) if below 60km. For anything longer I would stop every 60-80km for something to eat (I never plan what I'll be eating but just eat what takes my fancy, and many years of trial and error allows me to know what I should avoid). I do take some gels with me just in case...

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

I find I cannot eat much (if anything) before an early start, sometimes a pain au chocolate or similar pastry stuff works but I need to feel in the mood for it - I usually set off having eaten nothing and then eat a pain au chocolate or similar (or 2) fairly early on. This seems to work for me just now. I then just rely on drinks (and gels if at a fast pace) if below 60km. For anything longer I would stop every 60-80km for something to eat (I never plan what I'll be eating but just eat what takes my fancy, and many years of trial and error allows me to know what I should avoid). I do take some gels with me just in case...

Maybe I should try some gels? It could deal with the running out of steam as well as the reflux thing....

Maybe I should try some gels? It could deal with the running out of steam as well as the reflux thing....
gels make my heartburn worse and leave me unable to even drink water...

I have had similar issues in the past eating breakfast - I found that if I ate before something like 7am it did not make me physically sick. If cereal is a problem - why not toast with jam or peanut butter etc? Can you hold that down?

Cold

I usually have some toast and jam before I go out and when out I take a peanut butter and jam sandwich some dried fruit and nuts and a banana.
I usually start having sips of water after about 30 mins of riding and try and start to eat from about 20km out then in regular intervals after that .

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

gels make my heartburn worse and leave me unable to even drink water...

I have had similar issues in the past eating breakfast - I found that if I ate before something like 7am it did not make me physically sick. If cereal is a problem - why not toast with jam or peanut butter etc? Can you hold that down?

Yeah I've tried everything, even smoothies want to come back up. I can hold things down usually but I think with being in a cycling position it makes things worse.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Drink less the night before...

In all seriousness, @User3094 is right - 21kph is not shabby if 50km is a long ride. Moderate your speed and you'll be able to do more.

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

Yeah, me too. Reflux after eating when riding my bike was the first symptom. Get it checked @sazzaa, and if you need an endoscopy, take the sedative it is a surprisingly horrid experience.

I really didn't think this would require a doctor visit, ugh.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Sounds more like stress to me, try just "chilling" (I hate that word, but) Don't think about the distance beforehand get up as normal, relax, get on the bike and start off slowly then enjoy the ride.

Top Bottom