Longest Commute So Far

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G-Zero

Über Member
I had a 4 hour training course this morning at my head office in Ponteland and I decided to cycle it, doing the route for the first time.

I had to be there and showered for a 9am start and as the usual drive includes Motorway and extremely busy dual carriageway (A1 Gateshead), I devised a cross country route on Memorymap, which was mainly rural roads and came in at 27.5 miles.

As this is not my normal place of work, I had to carry my course notes, food, clothing (inc jacket & shoes), towel and shower stuff in a rucsac, which weighed in just short of a stone.

Planned in time for one of those pesky p******e thingies and set off at 6am, not realising just how hilly the back roads were and with the ice this morning, I couldn't even take advantage of the downhill sections as the roads were treacherous and I didn't dare allow too much speed to build up. Even uphill sections had the back wheel spinning in places.

Anyway, I made it in with 40 mins to spare, quickly got showered and completed the course.

It was as I started to get changed for the ride home, I experienced a very basic error in last night's planning - All my base layer kit had not had time to dry out and was still soaking wet and freezing cold :cry:

As uncomfortable as it was, it soon warmed up and the home run in daylight, without the ice only took 2 hours, so well pleased with the ancient Scott MTB.

I can see now why regular long distance commuters prefer panniers to rucsacs, as my butt is a tad tender after 55 miles of that extra weight.

Still, a very enjoyable :bicycle: overall.

fair play mate, thats impressive stuff. Next time I am at a different location I am gonna do that, well done

OP
OP
G-Zero

G-Zero

Über Member
Good effort sir. Do you have an electronic copy of the route you can link to (just curious to see where you went)?

I don't think I can put my Memorymap stuff on to here, but one of my technical guru (sons) is visiting this evening and I'll ask him if he knows a way to do it, poss via Google.

If not, I'll list it village by village and you can have a look yourself.

OP
OP
G-Zero

G-Zero

Über Member
Tech Guru was too inebriated to assist last night :cheers:

The route for your curiosity =

Made my way NW out of Durham, picked up the B6532 in Framwellgate Moor, to Sacriston - Edmondsley - minor road to Grange Villa -
High Handenhold - High Urpeth - Sunniside - picked up the B6316 in Whickham - B6317 to Blaydon - towards Ryton then cross R.Tyne to
Newburn - Throckley - picked up the B6323 to Ponteland.

Top Bottom