Longest Tennis match ever?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Is it over yet?

Given my way, I'd reduce most sport to the shortest time possible - football would all be played on a Golden Goal principle, and the time thus freed up could be filled with re runs of David Tennant Dr Whos, Mock the Week, Pink Panther and Tom and Jerry.

montage

God Almighty
User3143 said:
The above is just one of the reasons why you are not a TV exec Arch.

I'd certainly be intrigued by the other reasons

Wigsie

Nincompoop
twentysix by twentyfive said:
59 - 59 and beddy times have been called. They restart tomorrow.

I was amazed one of them didn't just crumble! A fine example of physical and mental stubborness that Tennis players cannot be used to!

Even the fittest of tennis player would feel that game in the morning... I have a feeling though it will probably be over in 20 minutes or so tomorrow, such a shame when they stop a game for darkness as it never has the same magic the next day. :sad:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
the whole thing gives me the shudders. Tennis is a trial at the best of times, but to be trapped on a planet which hosts a never-ending tennis match is unbearable.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Wonder what their baseline HR is?

Crankarm

Guru
The players have to be dope tested as they both should have wilted as 59 games all is equivalent to playing 3 and a bit straight set matches, where you win 18 games, or two 5 set matches back to back.

Maybe they'll change the rules then. Not quite sure about the details of this tennis thingy, they seem to have different rules in different competitions; but couldn't they have a tie-break on every set, not just the first four?

Or abolish the 'second service' once a set reaches, say, 8-8. Doesn't the second service confer a clear advantage on the server and increase the incidence of 'aces'? Hence reducing the entertainment value? After all, there's no such thing in table tennis (a sport I have tried my hand in). Fluff a serve, lose a point, full stop.

Arch said:
...re runs of David Tennant Dr Whos....
William Hartnell, purleeeeeze!!! :smile:

Arch

Married to Night Train
661-Pete said:
William Hartnell, purleeeeeze!!! :biggrin:

A little old even for me, but whatever floats your boat.:smile:

Actually, it would be interesting to see a few of the old ones again - as I remember it (only from Tom Baker onwards) they managed to be pretty scary even with the cardboard special effects.

started watching at 40-39 and was hooked. what an amazing match. beat the football last nite for entertainment value. two competitors shattered and still going. a reason enough for not changing the rules. neither of them wanted to stop because they were exhausted, only because the light was fading. brilliant.

Top Bottom