Look kg231

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
If I need more gears then I need to find a fr mechanism hanger to fit on these [

My inclination would be to leave it simple and minimalistic, as I'd imagine it's pretty light in it's current state. If the gearing is a bit too high, why not just change the tooth count on either the front or rear to lower it a bit? Maybe the reason the previous owner parted company with it was that they also found it was overgeared but had already disposed of the parts they took off so couldn't easily revert it?

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@SkipdiverJohn it's very light indeed in current state
On the two commutes i have done the gearing feels ideal but have yet to venture much further
I have not even done a fr & rr tooth count yet

The previous owner who had owned the bike from new converted it as it was the oldest frame in his fleet which consisted of a pr of nearly new Looks , Mercian Tourer , Raleigh 753 team and a brand new Marin commuter who's exact model name escapes me to replace the Look.

He sold all the groupset of my Look a while back when he originally de commissioned it .

Its future in what guise is open to debate but ideally i would like to at least try it with some more gears so will see

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
it was the oldest frame in his fleet which consisted of a pr of nearly new Looks , Mercian Tourer , Raleigh 753 team and a brand new Marin commuter who's exact model name escapes me to replace the Look.

The converted Look was older than his 753 Raleigh?? I am surprised at that. Would have expected 753 to have become obsolete by the time the Look was made. Sounds like a bloke with deep pockets with that little lot, nothing really budget market in there at all!

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
The converted Look was older than his 753 Raleigh?? I am surprised at that. Would have expected 753 to have become obsolete by the time the Look was made. Sounds like a bloke with deep pockets with that little lot, nothing really budget market in there at all!

It was rather a nice collection for sure , perhaps he meant older as in had more use ?
And as you say not budget bike's and all were in immaculate condition

davidphilips

Veteran
Some used groupsets are selling very cheap on Ebay at present, seen (and bought) ultegra sets for between 50 and £100 (9 and 10 speed) plus this cost could be of set if you sold the bits you remove. know if it was mine i would just fit drop bars, levers and bar tape and keep it as it is, looks are great, Have fun.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Some used groupsets are selling very cheap on Ebay at present

It's the cold weather bargain season underway now as far as I'm concerned. I see less cyclists around at weekends after the clocks go back, and I think the uninviting weather & attention focussed on Xmas means there are less buyers around but more people wanting to offload stuff to raise some cash. I tend to buy whole bikes if I want bits, rather than just the bits themselves. Picked up a couple of 700c wheels & tyres with a bike attached the other day. cheaper than buying just the pair of tyres or a single new wheel. Plus I've got a spare close-clearance Reynolds frame to play with.

davidphilips

Veteran
It's the cold weather bargain season underway now as far as I'm concerned. I see less cyclists around at weekends after the clocks go back, and I think the uninviting weather & attention focussed on Xmas means there are less buyers around but more people wanting to offload stuff to raise some cash. I tend to buy whole bikes if I want bits, rather than just the bits themselves. Picked up a couple of 700c wheels & tyres with a bike attached the other day. cheaper than buying just the pair of tyres or a single new wheel. Plus I've got a spare close-clearance Reynolds frame to play with.

Same here John, collecting bits for future projects at present and have my eye on a very expensive (to me any way) used steel bike on Ebay that may work out cheaper than buying the frame etc.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@SkipdiverJohn & @davidphilips save some for me please

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Fingers crossed

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
have my eye on a very expensive (to me any way) used steel bike on Ebay that may work out cheaper than buying the frame etc.

You just have to do your sums, and also consider that buying a complete one is likely to be less hassle than multiple individual component purchases. For me, it's the frame material that's the deciding factor if it's for a fixer-upper project. If it's bought as a mechanical donor, I'm not so bothered about the frame just the parts fitted to it - although my latest one was a decent enough Reynolds 500, so one level up the scale from regular hi-tensile. Not too dissimilar in quality terms to an old 531 plain gauge such as a Lenton, but not so relaxed.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Had some spare time this morning and a new drill bit so I thought I would have a go enlarging the holes on the front mechanism hanger , holes enlarged ok but the lower one needs to be slotted so I can get both screws in .

I have approached Look for the still available part number but so far 3 of the UK dealers have not even bothered to reply to my emails sent well before Christmas :sad: . I will message Look to see if they will sell it direct to me or put me in touch with a dealer who will supply it .

Please excuse the chain.

Last edited:

woodbutcher

Veteran
Had some spare time this morning and a new drill bit so I thought I would have a go enlarging the holes on the front mechanism hanger , holes enlarged ok but the lower one needs to be slotted so I can get both screws in .

View attachment 498186

I have approached Look for the still available part number but so far 3 of the UK dealers have not even bothered to reply to my emails sent well before Christmas :sad: . I will message Look to see if they will sell it direct to me or put me in touch with a dealer who will supply it .

Please excuse the chain.
Try the French Look company , you can write in English l think . If not drop me a line and l can do a translation for you in my "best":whistle: French.

Top Bottom