Look! No Hands!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidsw8

What is this trend lately of cycling sat bolt upright without holding their handlebars? It's only in the last year I've really noticed it but tons of people seem to be doing it now.

Seems a little show-offy and dangerous to me, especially in London traffic - how are you going to respond (break, swerve) should something happen unexpectedly?

J.Primus

You can't!

That said most of them are cycling around Shoreditch/Hoxton on a fixie with no brakes wearing drainpipes and a pork pie hat so a head injury would probably be the least of their problems.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I taught myself to ride-non-handed again earlier this year. It seemed so easy when I was a kid but took a while to get it back, as an adult. I would not condone it in group riding scenarios or in an urban environment but it's useful if you're out in the sticks and want to put a gilet on or zip up a jersey that's come undone all the way.

And yes, I am aware you can simply stop to do these things but sometimes it's nice to keep on rolling.

For a moment I thought this was going to be a thread in very poor taste about extremist preachers and the extradition process.

I am pleased that it is not.

I rode with no hands as a teen (70s) but I'm not sure I could do so now.

At least these young hands-free whippersnappers are out dealing drugs (or whatever it is they do) on bicycles and not sitting at home in front of an X-Bob game-kill-driving thingy as so many of them seem to do.

There are very good articles in the Mail about today's youth. I have to say that I am not confident that they are the right people to inherit this country.

I didn't actually fight in a war, but had I done so I would be very unhappy about, well... several things.

Young people today don't seem to understand that. Nor do they hold their cutlery properly. A table knife is not a pen. It never was.

Thank you.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I dont do it on the road, but do practice the dark art on paths (like the Hyde park circuit) I genuinely believe things like this make you a better cyclist as they increase your skill, ability, and general feeling of being comfortable on your bike.

but yes, i look stupid doing it.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

I've never been able to do it. Maybe I'm just jealous of those that can ^_^

Mostly it seems to be young kids cycling through Kennington or cycle couriers sailing through the red lights on Piccadilly...

trampyjoe

When you do it you have to spread your knees as far apart as they will go .. or at least this is what they do round these parts when riding with no hands (which, to be fair, is the best way to cycle when you're on the phone and drinking a can of relentless/monster/stella).

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
It's 90% confidence and 10% skill

davefb

Guru
used to love doing it as a kid, but just can't on my hybrid...

hehe, used to try to get all the way to school ( about a mile and pretty flat)... (using brakes to brake but not steer was "allowed" in my rules... ;))

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
saw a guy in a suit cycling on a road bike, iphone to ear sat bolt upright right hand in pocket.
he almost fell off as i shouted "PILLOCK!" at him as he went by.

Nearly took out a cyclist when driving last week riding without hands. He undertook me then wobbled mms in front of may car as he pulled out to overtake another cyclist. I slammed the brakes on and a car nearly went into the back of me.

Maz

Guru
For a moment I thought this was going to be a thread in very poor taste about extremist preachers and the extradition process.
"Help! I was on my fixie this morning and a tw&t in a beemer just right-hooked me!"...
_49823300__44764602_hamza_pa_226jpg-1.jpg

Top Bottom