Look what I found.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Was at my mum's last week and came across something interesting in the shed. It should be pretty clear what makes this 'special'.

14-08-2015 15-30-19.jpg

So for a bit of Friday fun - any detectives here?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Reversed steering?

OP
OP
Milkfloat

Milkfloat

An Peanut
A couple more shots -

I think it is a 'Phillips', that has had about 15 coats of paint and very little maintenance over the years. I remember trying to ride this about 30 years ago at the local fete - I think you could win a tenner if you could ride it about 10 meters. It is still used for this purpose to this day raising money for charity. It runs on 24x1"3/8 tyres and is about 20 sizes too small for my 6'3" body.

14-08-2015 16-11-59.jpg
14-08-2015 16-12-26.jpg

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I remember a couple of those turning up at Dartington village fair one year. My brother's mate (a bike handling god) was barred because he rode the required 10 metres on the back wheel, spun around and wheelied back to the start.

Spoil sports!

OP
OP
Milkfloat

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I tried for about 10 minutes, by staring really hard at the front tyre, I could only manage about 5 meters. I did not think about pulling a wheelie.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Never tried a reverse steer bike but I was banned from trying the unicycling at a local fete a few years ago, as I could ride it perfectly well. The stall holder was tipped off by an Aunt :angry: "My Niece can ride those really well, that's her in the red top over there doing archery". When I went to try and win a tenner for riding a unicycle 15 metres I was told to 'sod off'. Charming.

I was also banned from the 'darts-archery' stall. After putting 3 arrows in triple 20 at 25m with a rather tatty recurve. He asked if I'd shot one of these before and I told the truth, I said 'no'. I failed to mention that I shot Longbow and Compound (was that naughty of me). I had 3 'sighter' shots before the 3 shots that counted. I put 1 arrow in the outer ring of the bull and 2 arrows in the inner ring as 'sighters' and then did my 180 thing. Stall owner did not look happy as the score to beat was one of his pals. Poor chap had to go out and buy a bottle of Champagne, as that was advertised for the winner.:laugh: We saw him at a fete a week later and I was told to 'go away' in no uncertain terms.

U

User42423

Was at my mum's last week and came across something interesting in the shed. It should be pretty clear what makes this 'special'.

View attachment 100085

So for a bit of Friday fun - any detectives here?

This type of 'clown' cycle was most popular on most seaside promenades. Used by either clowns or a stunt rider. Easiest way to ride them, is to stand up on pedals and hold bars tight. Quite a rare survivor!!. Ideal for museum or cycle collector.

OP
OP
Milkfloat

Milkfloat

An Peanut
This type of 'clown' cycle was most popular on most seaside promenades. Used by either clowns or a stunt rider. Easiest way to ride them, is to stand up on pedals and hold bars tight. Quite a rare survivor!!. Ideal for museum or cycle collector.

Funny you should mentions the seaside. This one has been located in Herne Bay for at least 50 years. It is used by Rotary for fundraising, I have tried putting first dibs on it and have offered to restore it a little, but I expect I am right at the back of the line.

Top Bottom