Look what I've just bought :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

Incidentally, if you look at the regulations concerning navigation lights, they must be used by 'Waterbourne vessels', 'Aircraft' and 'Manned Spacecraft'.

'Manned spacecraft' ????? Who's going to bump into you?????? :laugh:

Other 'Aircraft' as you come in to land? ;)

Smiler100

I was reading this link from the Guardian http://www.guardian....s-visible-night - has anyone seen any of this electroluminescent (what a mouthful) gear on the roads or heard anything of it?

There are a couple of people I see using these, a chap on my commute and a local paper boy,I see them from a mile off ( from the side anyway) I think they're a great idea as many cyclists have next to zero side visibility to other road users. I commute in a high viz reflective vest over my fluorescent jacket and have reflective bands on my trousers ( I work on the streets in the dark anyway) I've even cut an old vest up and attached it over my panniers to give me more side profile. Working on the streets and in the past for 15 years having been a HGV driver make you realize how easy it is to miss seeing someone when there is so much going on around you. Especially half wit cyclists with no lights dressed in black !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Better looking like a live idiot than a dead cool guy :smile:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Evidently the "REFLECTOR" types have a tendancy to drop off, the spoke grooves are way to big...or something...gaffer tape?

But, in my opinion, anything is worth a go if it helps people to "look" at you when on the bike.

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
Evidently the "REFLECTOR" types have a tendancy to drop off, the spoke grooves are way to big...or something...gaffer tape?

But, in my opinion, anything is worth a go if it helps people to "look" at you when on the bike.

Well, talking for myself only...my fantastic physique makes people look at me when on the bike...

fat-man.jpg

And here's a picture of me riding my scooter :smile:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Well, talking for myself only...my fantastic physique makes people look at me when on the bike...

fat-man.jpg

And here's a picture of me riding my scooter :smile:

:biggrin:

e-rider

crappy member
I've just bought my self 2 types of spoke lights and am going to be doing a video review when they come.

I've made a little review explaining what I've bought, and you can see that below :smile:

[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c-bUxMtLbo[/media]

For a couple quid I figure they're worth a go! You could get some which could even do patterns and write words as you pedal and things...but they seemed a bit bulkier so I haven't gone for them. If these spoke lights are good maybe I will. These are just a few quid as well.

I've got a few things to say about this:

1. delivery from Hong Kong will be between 5-14 days usually (sometimes it's surprisingly quick)
2. 17 US$ is the max value before you'll be hit with import duty and handling fees - these handling fees are mega expensive and a complete rip-off.
3. you can buy similar products in the UK (no doubt made in china too)
4. these are for kids
5. reviews - get a life!

BenM

Veteran
I have EL string on my Orca... red on the rack, green on the beam and white up front. White up front was a mistake cos I can't see past it at night on unlit paths; on the street it is ok though.

Now you will want to know where I got it... some place in Sheffield... http://www.surelight.com/

What does it look like? just how you would imagine it. It is quite bright (very bright if ambient light is dim enough) and is either on constantly or variable rate blink. The inverter is electronic/inductor based and so whines a bit but inaudible above my tinnitus/road/wind noise in my ears

Have I got a picture of it lit up? nope. But I will see if I can extract one from a video later on.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

Ben

I've got a few things to say about this:

1. delivery from Hong Kong will be between 5-14 days usually (sometimes it's surprisingly quick)
2. 17 US$ is the max value before you'll be hit with import duty and handling fees - these handling fees are mega expensive and a complete rip-off.
3. you can buy similar products in the UK (no doubt made in china too)
4. these are for kids
5. reviews - get a life!

2. Handling fees are a "problem" with couriers (parcel force etc) with royal mail they rarely care.

I have ordered so many things, including around the £50-100 mark and have never paid import from HK/China, I have though from the US which they seem to check more tbh (one exception is £550 from HK but I declared that properly, handling fee was £4).

One on the plane at HKP it's usually 4 days, HKP delays are from 1-4 days, and then dispatch time which varies (the likes of DX don't hold stock so even more for them).

3. yes, people on ebay import them also for you and resell, its a good option sometimes for a few quid more

Smiler100

I do like this lighting. Sticks out and gives off a different type of light from LED that seems to be more eye-catching.

Anyone else seen it around?

I have EL string on my Orca... red on the rack, green on the beam and white up front. White up front was a mistake cos I can't see past it at night on unlit paths; on the street it is ok though.

Now you will want to know where I got it... some place in Sheffield... http://www.surelight.com/

What does it look like? just how you would imagine it. It is quite bright (very bright if ambient light is dim enough) and is either on constantly or variable rate blink. The inverter is electronic/inductor based and so whines a bit but inaudible above my tinnitus/road/wind noise in my ears

Have I got a picture of it lit up? nope. But I will see if I can extract one from a video later on.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

Ben

Top Bottom