Look what I've just bought :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
I've got a few things to say about this:

1. delivery from Hong Kong will be between 5-14 days usually (sometimes it's surprisingly quick)
2. 17 US$ is the max value before you'll be hit with import duty and handling fees - these handling fees are mega expensive and a complete rip-off.
3. you can buy similar products in the UK (no doubt made in china too)
4. these are for kids
5. reviews - get a life!

me thinks someone is in a bad mood!

1. The retailers said up to 20, but hopefully way before that
2. Both orders were way under that so no import fees. A lot of sellers send things as gifts to get around import duty too
3. So? They were a few quid of ebay, I'm not going to waste my time finding a UK retailer.
4. so? Big kids too....and if they give me some side viability I don't care.
5. Meh, don't watch it then....but when you see someone with really cool light up wheels pass you don't be jealous :biggrin:

Norm

Evidently the "REFLECTOR" types have a tendancy to drop off, the spoke grooves are way to big...or something...gaffer tape?
If by "reflector" types you mean the 3M Sekuclip spoke reflectors, then that's not true.

I've got 144 (yeah, it's pretty gross :biggrin: ) fitted to various bikes from roadies to an MTB which seems to spend most of its life under water or under mud. I have done over 2k miles this year and not one has come adrift.

leemo

Commuter
I bought a couple of Nitize Spokelit lights for my front wheel. After a month one of them is turns itself off and the other looks to be on its way out too. So I'm interested to hear of anything that works for side visibility. Ayone tried the Cateye spoke lights? Maybe I'll try these 3M reflective things, but I guess you got to clean them regularly.

Bman

Guru
me thinks someone is in a bad mood!

1. The retailers said up to 20, but hopefully way before that
2. Both orders were way under that so no import fees. A lot of sellers send things as gifts to get around import duty too
3. So? They were a few quid of ebay, I'm not going to waste my time finding a UK retailer.
4. so? Big kids too....and if they give me some side viability I don't care.
5. Meh, don't watch it then....but when you see someone with really cool light up wheels pass you don't be jealous :biggrin:

What? These things enable you to cycle sideways!? Cool! :smile:

Arch

Married to Night Train
I bought a couple of Nitize Spokelit lights for my front wheel. After a month one of them is turns itself off and the other looks to be on its way out too. So I'm interested to hear of anything that works for side visibility. Ayone tried the Cateye spoke lights? Maybe I'll try these 3M reflective things, but I guess you got to clean them regularly.

Not that I've noticed. I've had mine on for a couple of years now, on my daily use winter bike, and they seem fine. I'm on 26" wheels with Big Apple tyres, and the spoke clips are not right down at the rim, so they are probably a good couple of inches off the ground. Never had one come loose either, like Norm.

BTW, for cheap reflective stuff, look out for hi-vis vests in the Pound Shop. The vests are flimsy, but each one has a metre or more of decent Scotchlite tape on it, which you can cut out (or unpick the stitching) and sew/stick/wrap round anything you want.

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
What? These things enable you to cycle sideways!? Cool! :smile:

lol. :rolleyes:

rusky

CC Addict
The photo doesn't do it justice.

DSC00144.JPG

Norm

Not that I've noticed. I've had mine on for a couple of years now, on my daily use winter bike, and they seem fine. I'm on 26" wheels with Big Apple tyres, and the spoke clips are not right down at the rim, so they are probably a good couple of inches off the ground. Never had one come loose either, like Norm.
I've never cleaned mine either, they get a wipe over when I'm washing the rest of the bike but if you saw the state my bikes get into, you'd understand why I get the hose on them.

For instance, the bike...
th_DSCN2142.jpg

The reflectors, still shining through...
th_DSCN2139.jpg

One of the best bits, IMO, is that they pretty much disappear in daylight...
th_DSCN2136.jpg th_DSCN2176.jpg

... but they are very visible at night (note the old reflectors still in place, for comparison)
th_DSCN2126.jpg

garrilla

I've just purchased some Tortec Reflector mudguards. I saw a cyclist cross my path a few weeks ago with them and he really stood out from the side. I had to change my route to catch the blighter up so I could ask him what they were.

The EL stuff looks good although I must say there are one or two tacky applications.

Bman

Guru
I was thinking about how long motorists take to see me tonite.

Almost all of them (on the unlit lanes) use their full beam. I know its not exactly fair, but I was trying to estimate how reactive they were by how long it took to dip their beams. It passed the time on the commute home. :smile:

Some of them ba**ards took over 2 seconds to dip them!

This is why I need a full beam of my own.

Top Bottom