Looking at a Carbon frame bike around the 8kg to 8.5kg. Will I notice a difference from my 10kg one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colcazal

Hi,

I am thinking about buying a new road bike. The bike I train on at the moment weighs around 10kg. I am looking at a Carbon framed bike around the 8kg to 8.5kg. Will I notice a big difference?

Cheers Col

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
colcazal said:
Hi,

I am thinking about by a new road bike. The bike I train on at the moment weighs around 10kg. I am looking at by a Carbon framed bike around the 8kg to 8.5kg. Will I notice a big difference?

Cheers Col

It might be cheaper to shed 2kg of bodyweight :evil:

dodgy

If the weight is lost around the wheels, then you will notice a difference. Otherwise, not such a big difference, but probably noticeable.

gavintc

Guru
Yes, of course you will notice a difference. The difference is even more noticeable the more you spend. Of course some of this difference, will not bear up well in scientific scrutiny, but you will enjoy your ride more.

On a more serious level, the bike will accelerate more quickly and hills will be a little easier, there will be less flex in the frame making power transfer from pedal to wheel more assured.

Jonathan M

gavintc said:
Yes, of course you will notice a difference. The difference is even more noticeable the more you spend. Of course some of this difference, will not bear up well in scientific scrutiny, but you will enjoy your ride more.

On a more serious level, the bike will accelerate more quickly and hills will be a little easier, there will be less flex in the frame making power transfer from pedal to wheel more assured.

£1000 Boardman carbon framed bike comes in at £1k, and weighs 8kgs (according to C+) so it isn't always cost dependent.

RedBike

Can you notice the difference in your bike with two full bottles on compared to when the bottles are empty? A litre of water is about a 1kg.

You should notice a difference although as dodgy pointed out a lot depends on where this weight is. Light (deep sectioned?) wheels will make far more of a difference than a say a lighter seat.

OP
OP
colcazal

colcazal

If I loose any more weight I think a divorce might be on the cards!! Hmm theres a thought;)

I have been looking at the team Carbon Boardman bike, looks really good value but I also like the Focus Cayo 105 and the kiron scandium.

I would hope to see a difference especially when accelerating, would be good to get a test ride before buying. Lets face it no one buys a car with out a test drive. Don't know if Halfords would let me loose on a £1000 bike in their car park though!!

Cheers, Col

Top Bottom