Looking at a Whyte Saxon CX can I fit slicks for winter road rides?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
Don't see why not, looks a good price, I have bought a couple of reduced framesets from Winstanleys with no problems.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I would assume the i19 part is the internal rim width so I would guess a 25mm or maybe even a 28mm minimum tyre width. When I search the rim came up as a 29er MTB wheel. What you could have is a wheelset for road and one for off road with the suitable tyres mounted it would take a few minutes to swap out wheels to suit the ride you want.

Have you looked at gravel bikes? Might suit the crossover from off road to road better.

OP
OP
jarlrmai

jarlrmai

Veteran
The tyres seem to be a tubeless system TCS.

I'm not that interested in buying 2 wheelsets unless there are any deals

Are there any gravel bikes on reduced sale with decent specs?

Andrew_P

In between here and there
The tyres seem to be a tubeless system TCS.

I'm not that interested in buying 2 wheelsets unless there are any deals

Are there any gravel bikes on reduced sale with decent specs?
If you are going to run tubeless, swapping tyres sealant etc to ride on the road is going to get tiresome, even clincher and tubes would pish me off. Would probably just ride the road with knobbly tyres in the end. Schwalbe S One and G-One are pretty road usable, I have done loads of road miles on the S-Ones without much penalty speed wise.

How off road is the off road you are going to be doing? That's the main question really. Trails, towpaths and loose chip seal etc most bikes will handle all you really need is a bit of tyre clearance. If you are doing full on muddy cyclocross MTB type off road then you will be better off with CX type bike to run knobbly tyres.

Last edited:
Top Bottom